diseased tank???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bryce1217, Jan 1, 2013.

1. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

ok. im begginig to worry about my tank being diseased. its been through ick twice. But ive had fish die the same way. 1 when conditions were good and 2 in bad conditions. i had a gourami start to turn black and then she would turn flips and lay on her side on the bottom. i had a pleco do the same, along with a discus. the pleco turned yellow and the discus turned more yellowish than it already was. the gourami was in bad water conditions, the discus was also in bad water conditions. is it a parasite? is it water conditions. what could be killing fish. it is a ten gallon. the gouarmi was full grown. the pleco was 3.5 inches long. the discus was a little bigger than a quarter. (i didnt have them in the tank all at the same time). yes, i know all these fish would eventually out grow my tank. all of these died between the beggining of november and today.
    R.I.P Grace the blue threespot gourami
    R.I.P Gerald the pleco
    R.I.P Red the baby discus :(

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

are you using this 10g as a qt tank? it could be where your getting the fish from... when you say they were in bad water conditions do you mean in the pet store?

3. OP
    OP
    b

bryce1217Valued MemberMember

no. i layed off the water changes and my tank conditions get bad. i know the place i got my discus from were good. they were highly reccommended By everybody. but the ick problems i had my tank parameters were good.

4. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

When fish are stressed, they're more susceptible to diseases like ich, and that's probably where yours came from.

Depending on the type of gourami, all of the fish listed would need a bigger tank, as you pointed out. Especially the discus and pleco. If this isn't a quarantine tank, please make sure you only get fish from now on that can comfortably live in a 10 gallon.

The discus probably died because of the water conditions. They require pristine conditions, much larger tanks, and a school of at least 6.

5. OP
    OP
    b

yeah. i learned to do T least a ton of research before i buy now. espicially who i buy from. lol. thanks!

6. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

discus need lots of water changes. where they come from is constantly getting fresh water form up stream. young discus would need water changes at least every other day of at least 50%.

the pleco and gourami should be more hardy. if the tank is starting to look dirty then your deff not cleaning enough. these fish deff need a bigger tank but with proper matince they shouldnt be dying.

i have a severum and red tail shark in a 10g for qt. i do water changes every other day to keep the tank clean. if you cant keep up with maintenance on a 10g you should upgrade to a bigger more forgiving tank.

7. OP
    OP
    b

ok thanks! ill try to keep up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice