Disease. Unsure if I should medicate tank.

TheFishmonger

Hello. Over the past 3 months I have been losing one harlequin rasbora after the other with a span death being 2 weeks apart. All of them from dropsy, even though they are not bloated and seam healthy, they suddenly collapse. I notice their scales are raised when examining the body after. I have treated with both Kanaplex and Metroplex to no avail. It's a recurring problem. Then I added green fire tetras which I quarantined and they are doing fine. But here is where it went downhill again. I wanted to add barbs and begin a new school. So I got two juvenile barbs, one died the fish night, the other nipped the harlequin rasboras to the point chewing threw one of them. I was away at work and when I got back I was shocked by the hole in my fish. The other harlequins looked stressed and beaten. I isolated the barb in the quarantine tank but it died that night as did the harlequin that was very badly chewed through. Then the mysterious deaths reappeared, one harlequin died after the other a week apart. Until.i was left with the oldest harlequin, a three year old, that stopped eating, isolated itself, developed what looked like ich, and some hemorrhagic sores. I isolated and treated it but was unable to save it. It died today. So my Harlequin rasbora school has been whipped out. And I am unsure as to how to proceed. I am tempted to cure the entire tank because I feel like there is a lingering disease that attacks weak and stressed fish. I feel like it's a ticking time bomb. But I also am affraid to do harm.to healthy fish by adding unnecessary medication that may also harm my beneficial bacteria. I have at my disposal both Api general cure, and seachem kanaplex/metroplex. Any advise on how to proceed? Should I be adding aquarium salt if I have corydoras in there? I want to prevent disease because it's been proven hard for me to treat in later stages.
Here is a picture of the dead Harlequin..anyone know what the cause is and can help me with my questions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-013024_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-013024_Gallery.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 5

SarahPar

The fish need to be given the medication orally, not in the water.

Cephalaxin is more broad spectrum so likely a better choice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
starrynight2331
Replies
Views
FishBoy101
Replies
Views