Disease outbreak - still don't know what caused

1. b

bluesky2111 Valued Member Member

Recently my tank has had an outbreak which stressed me out for weeks. I've lost 5 fish within just a few months. If anyone could tell me possible causes that would be much appreciated. I will provide info as much detailed as possible. I don't wanna lose any more fish :(

Tank: 30gal, 17 month old, sand substrate.
    Current fish(after all 5 died): 1 Angel, 3 cories, 2 mollies, 1 Firemouth.
    [​IMG]

Parameters:
    [​IMG]

==============================

FISH LOST:

APRIL 3, PLATY, stayed on top of water, lost appetite, got skinny. Died within a week
    [​IMG]

MAY 15, GOURAMI, got skinny, swollen belly. Dies within a month since symptom occurred.
    [​IMG]

MAY 25, PLATY, stayed at one spot, barely moved. Died only in one day
    [​IMG]

--- JUNE 18, I bought a Bumblebee Catfish and a Bristlenose Pleco, both died in 2 days for no reason.

--- Did 60% water change. Added some melafix.

JUNE 20, ANGELICUS BOTIA, cloudy eyes, couldn't swim. Died in 2 days
    [​IMG]

--- Did 40% water change.

JUNE 23, CORY CAT. stayed at one spot, looked stressed, red belly. Died within a few hours
    [​IMG]

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

OK my first thoughts.. ((and for part of this mind you I'm colorblind sooooo my eyes could very well not be correct)))

1) your nitrates look over 40 PPM maybe high nitrates.
    2) PH looks to be the full blue so maybe run a high PH test.

((again those 2 could TOTALLY be my colorblindness not seeing things right))

On the 2 platys it looks like the fins are frayed are they? If so maybe fin rot?

Have you added anything recently? It's almost sounding like you have a bacterial something going around your tank...

3. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks a lot for the input. When I bought the fish from petco I accidentally poured all the water from the bag into my tank. 3 days later the loach died. But I don't think the water was that toxic. It could be something else.... I was thinking my tank is going through the cycle, but it's already 1.5 years old.

*The platy didn't have fin rot, other fish just ate him after he died.

4. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Was the Loach what you got at petsmart? There is a possibility that their tanks had a bacterial infection starting. Not saying they do, just it's a possibility.

5. OP
    OP
    b

Oh no no I got the pleco at petsmart, then it died 1 day after that. 3 days later my 1.5 year old loach died. It's so weird.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of sand is in? Do you dechlorinate the tapwater? Does the cory lost its barbels as well?

7. OP
    OP
    b

It's the Caribsea super natural sand I bought at petsmart. The cory didn't lose any barbels. The day before he died, he looked normal in the morning, then suddenly died a few hours later.

*Everytime I do water change, I dose some Prime in. 2 drops per gallon.

8. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Currently my guesses are one or both: Your nitrates are very high and you may have brought in an infection/bacteria/Issue with the store water.
    The combination of the two could be the clincher, the fish weren't healthy enough to fight off infection.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Thinking up loud : is it (Marine) beach sand?