Disease identification please...

1. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

One of my clown loaches has an extremely fat belly and. Is swimming weird. What's wrong?[​IMG][​IMG]

I forgot to say that my ammonia is 0; nitrite 0; nitrate is 20 ppm

2. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Im guessing its constipation

3. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

I did feed them very heavily yesterday.... so I hope that is all it is then.humm, thank you!

4. MinhMai Member Member

May want to cut back a bit on the high protein food? Try some peas microwaved in water and shelled once or twice a week. Just my 2 cents.

5. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Yes I totally forgot about that method

6. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

They are almost exclusively feed Bloodworms, flakes, and shrimp pellets and live shrimp. But they may nibbled on my wisteria not sure

Would algae wafers do the same thing ? I can buy some

7. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I would feed them some peas then wait a day or 2 then see how ur loach is doin if he is not as fat then feed them again but dont feed as much as before. You want your fish to be slightly hunger instead of stuffed

8. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

OK. Guess I'll buy peas. Is there any of fish food that I can add to their diet.

Related question is I want a healthier alternative to tetra flakes like omega(or at least the ones I bought were), but those flakes are too small. Do you know of any bigger like the tetra ones

9. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I just use normal tropical flakes from amazon and shrimp pellets for my corys. Im gonnna get some blood worms in the future. I sometimes feed my fish watermellon. I treat it just like peas. Its a good thing they like peas lol

10. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

What kinda flakes

11. MinhMai Member Member

If you're okay with paying a little more for premium food try NLS Optimum flakes. To me they're not actually that expensive. My jar only cost like $9 I think. The flakes are pretty large. I had to crush it down with a spoon for my guppies.

12. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I crush the flakes to almost powder. My fish like to eat tiny flakes instead of big flakes. Yes I will definitely look into those flakes!

13. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Awesome. Thanks. I was using El cheapo tetra for the size. That stuff is sort cheap. Was 10 for a very huge bottle. Probably low quality lol

14. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Well he passed away. Another one has the same thing. Now I'm worried...

15. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Im so sorry :'( maybe TexasDomer can help I dont know much about bloating diseases.

16. Sergeant Pepper Member Member

Do you feel them a lot every day? I'm not the fish expert but I fast my Fish at least once a week. I try to feed them small amounts every time I give them food. Just because you think they can eat more, doesn't mean they should.

I give my Fish Omega One Flakes and New Life Spectrum Small fish pellets regularly. Then Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms occasionally. I drop in a slice of Cucumber occasionally and a small piece of Algea wafer at night for the snails and Shrimp. That's plenty and I fast once every week.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You're probably still overfeeding. Stop feeding for a few days (you won't hurt them) and when you resume feeding, feed less.

18. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

I can reduce feedings definitely was feeding a lot the past few Days

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Overfeeding is so bad for fish, like any animal. You can hurt them more by overfeeding than underfeeding very easily.

20. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

I had gone 3 days without feedings because I forgot. lol... Then I was trying to compensate.

I just added purigen again now that I am not medicating anymore

When I looked at his belly there was blood like internal bleeding, and the even had a small amount of blood leaking outside of his body near his belly. I have no clue how any of that happened

Should I medicate with metroplex?