Disease ID?

lynn.12

Betta started out with whiteish sort of “buildup” stuff on his gills, and now has spread to his face where it kinda looks more like stringy dots. Stuff on the underside of the gills is still there but hard to take pics of. Tank parameters are fine, Ive been spamming everyone with this issue for awhile (sorry! at a loss here..) and no ones had any comments on them, but happy to repost them if requested. Posting about this again as I was able to get some good pictures of the current state, which has evolved from the initial. Please help!

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
I believe the Betta's body is producing excess slime as a reaction to an unidentified parasite infestation.
Might try treating with a Copper Sulfate or Formalin based med.

OP
L

lynn.12

Ok great - I can say with lots of confidence antibiotics don’t do much so that would make sense. Can you recommend a medication brand to order? I don’t have any on hand with either of those.

OP
L

lynn.12

Thank you! Was just reading up on cupramine.. says to leave at the final concentration for 14 days - i don’t think my tank is in any shape to go 14 days without a water change given my several unsuccessful antibiotic attempts. I’m basically assuming it to be un cycled right now and doing a vacuum/water change every other day with Stability addition. I could measure out the new water (I do this anyways for re mineralization) and then dose that to match the tanks dosing... Is there a better way to handle it though?

A201

Fishlore VIP
I think if you can accurately calculate the amount of gallons removed & proportionately dose the replacement water, things should be fine.

OP
L

lynn.12

Alright awesome, thank you!. I ordered the Cupramine, should be here in the next couple days. It doesn’t react poorly with anything but Prime correct? I use distilled or RO water depending on availability then remineralize it, and when I use RO I use a fraction of a dose of prime for residual chlorine.

Anyone else get mocked by their friends/family for spending $100+ on a $10 fish?

A201

Fishlore VIP
I'm not sure about the interaction between Prime & Cupramine. I successfully used Coppersafe & Prime together, years ago, while treating two tanks for Oodinium. Coppersafe is chelated copper sulfate, resulting in more stability. Cupramine is not chelated. Both are effective products against parasites.
Removing Coppersafe from the water column requires water changes. Removing Cupramine is much easier requiring only carbon.
No it's not uncommon for hobbyist to spend a disproportionate amount of money on fish meds. I've been lucky in my 30 + years of keeping fish, buying only one bottle of Formalin, two bottles of Coppersafe & one bottle of a worthless herbal remedy. Lol.

OP
L

lynn.12

Ok thanks! Copper and copper test kit have arrived!

How long should I wait after stopping antibiotics before starting copper? My last dose was Saturday, I’ve had carbon in the tank for 48 hours. It really does seem like the symptom is a lot of whiteish coating stuff on the gill area and one side of the face, and also potentially some damage to that side of the face which I realize could be multiple things, and I’ve gone through paraguard, fungus cure, furan 2, and kanaplex in about two months (furan 2 and kanaplex were combined for awhile, the others were separate. He has slowly been getting worse but maybe you’d recommend to let him/the tank recover a bit with plain water changes before introducing a new chemical?

A201

Fishlore VIP
That's your call. You've certainly gone above & beyond the call to duty attempting to save the Betta. Hope he gets better soon.

OP
L

lynn.12

So I started adding the copper, now he has a patch of white fuzz on top of his head.... Keep treating with copper? Try something else..? Not sure if this still fits with parasites but it grew aggressively overnight so I’m probably running out of time. Thanks

New Threads