Disease Back After Kanaplex - What Now?

Loachland

Hey y'all! So, as of late, I've been dealing with some issues with my 50g tropical community tank - I'm not certain if they're directly related or not - that I think started due to letting things go too long between water changes a while back. The various issues are:
  • My pearl gourami has what I suspect to be columnaris: he's got a white, cloudy patch that's melting the tip of one fin, and a similar cottony patch above his left eye. This started just a couple weeks ago, and I did a kanaplex regimen as soon as it did: the kanaplex cleared the eye entirely, and the white bit on the fin disappeared a couple days after treatment, although it's hard to tell if the fin is recovering or melting or further since it's so clear and sheer. However, the area above his eye is white again, which is what's prompted me to write this.
  • In addition, one of my yo-yo loaches is somewhat bloated, and the bloat is irregular: it started mostly as a pea-like bump on his left side, which is more or less exactly identical to what happened to a cherry barb from the same tank (link has that whole saga & the emergency template for my tank) who died the day before I noticed the bloat on the loach. This was just after the kanaplex treatment, so I'm not sure if he caught what the barb had or if the kanaplex maybe damaged his kidneys?
  • The barb who died from the bloat had a persistent case of fin rot that neither maracyn nor the aforementioned kanaplex fixed: I haven't noticed it spreading to the other barbs for certain, but some of them do have darker or slightly more rough-looking patches on their fins.
So yeah, I guess I have two questions: one, can I treat with kanaplex again now that the columnaris looks to be back? It's only been a couple weeks and it's pretty heavy medication, so I'm reluctant, but I don't want to just leave it - would trying something like Maracyn-2 be better? And two, has anyone else had similar experience with this odd-shaped bloat or know if it might be related? I'm really worried for my yo-yo loach and would love to be able to do something to help.

Thanks to anyone who weighs in!

coralbandit

For columnaris if you choose the antibiotic root it is best to combine the kanna with Furan at the same time.
Wait a week and do both.
Another choice is potassium permanganate but it has a strong learning curve.

Loachland

For columnaris if you choose the antibiotic root it is best to combine the kanna with Furan at the same time.
Wait a week and do both.
Another choice is potassium permanganate but it has a strong learning curve.
I’d heard Furan-2 was good to combine with kanaplex, they just didn’t carry it at my LFS so I didn’t last round. I’ll see if I can find some online!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
pickle123
Replies
Views
Shardicle
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views