Discussion about mods closing threads

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sirdarksol said:
It's still open, and someone other than me has the last post there. Yes, I am able to do that, but I'm also able to randomly ban people just for posting a smiley I don't like. All of the moderators can. The thing is, we don't.

And the comment in 22 was not an insult, it was a commendation of someone's maturity. The most difficult thing for someone to do is to admit that they can't do something. Treefork did just that.
You asked for examples and this thread was one that came to mind for me.

Treefork:
Another opinion I have is this: We will never have a "productive" discussion about this. People will just get worked up one way or the other and the thread will be closed. So I bid you all good day and take my exit from this thread.

SDS:
It's too bad that you feel that way, but I commend you for realizing that, because you do, you wouldn't be able to take part in such a discussion.

Treefork:
Well just for that Im coming back in. Veiled insults won't keep me away.

Nowhere in this sentence does Treefork say that he can't do something. He was not admitting that he would, due to some personality flaw, be unable to participate in the discussion. He says that people will get worked up and the thread will be closed. It was unfair to imply that he said something that he did not say. I don't understand the confusion. It's right there in black and white. It would be equally unfair if I implied that you admitted you were wrong when you had not and then praised you for it. It would be nice if you would take the time to consider that with this many of us saying the same thing there might be something to it.

Lucy said:
I have kept fairly quiet in both these threads and quite frankly, I am sick of it.

If any other group of people or person (besides the mods) were being bashed like they are in this thread....betta keepers, cichlid keepers ect, this thread would have been closed and probably deleted in an instant.
I guarantee it. I would have done it myself.

And yes, sds is called on quite often as we appreciate him for it.

From now on, may I suggest anyone that has an issue to pm the moderator or anyone of us.
If you're not comfortable with that, pm Mike.
Until you do that please do not presume you know the whole story as we will not intentionally embarrass anyone in open forum.
I don't think that it's reasonable to compare a group of people that keep a certain type of fish to a group of people that control the conversations of the entire forum. I have been annoyed on more than one occasion by SDS taking control of the conversation to prove a point. I should have had the nerve to say that in the beginning of the thread or just keep my mouth shut. It was completely unfair on my part to keep saying “mods” with an s on the end. It was bothering me the whole time and I should have said so. The mods do a great job of keeping the forum family friendly. I appreciate the effort you put in to the forum. I certainly wouldn’t want the extra tasks added to my fishlore time. Sorry the thread got out of control. I’m also sorry that it looks as if I started the thread when in reality I just commented on someone else’s thread.

I plan to take a step back and consider that I just spent a large portion of my free time this evening arguing over a fish forum. From now on no more comments from me on whether threads should be closed.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy said:
The question was answered posts ago, #'s 4 and 9 I believe.

Anything other examples after that could have gone into pm especially after my post #25.

No worries Lucy..... I was just trying to give another perspective of how it looks. My bad.

Not saying who is right or wrong.

Brian

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As I pointed out above, and as Lucy backed me up on, the stuff that people are pointing at me for is the mod team as a whole. We don't act alone. We act in concert.

People continue to point a finger at me, as if I'm a problem. The thing is that, in these instances where the mod team has decided to close threads, it was because there were problem members who felt that they had some right to run rampant, ignoring moderator requests to stay on topic, or to not insult people. In many cases, other members started the process by reporting these people. As Lucy said, we're not going to be rude and name names here, but I will say that those who are arguing here are not all innocent of this.

Those who are causing problems have been playing the victim, stirring up more problems, and generally giving us headaches because they feel that they should be allowed to forgo both the forum rules and basic netiquette.

As with Lucy, I'm sick of it. So are some other people who spoke up, only to have their words and ideas co-opted into an attempt to bash the entire mod team. Aside from such statements made in the thread, I have received PMs, not only from other mods, but from members, saying that they think that this thread has gone too far. I know other mods have received similar messages.

Several times a week, if not daily, I receive positive PMs from members, thanking me for doing my job. Some of these PMs are thanking me for work that some members have condemned here. I receive a handful of negative PMs a year, usually from people who are mad that the mods decided they should get a warning. Of all of the problems that have been dredged up here, some of which are from a month or more ago, we heard only one negative peep, from one member. The rest remained quiet, while other members were thanking us for keeping the forum running smoothly. That is, not until the mob got its torches and pitchforks together. Then it was open game on the mod team.

As I've pointed out several times in the past month, specifically because of that one person speaking up, If you have a problem with something the moderator team does, contact us or Mike. Otherwise, you have no right to be upset when it happens again. I am certainly not saying that we're going to bend over backwards and let people walk all over the rules or basic politeness. If someone wants to have a discussion that Mike has said is not allowed on Fishlore, then too bad. You'll have to have it via e-mail or on another forum. However, if a complaint is reasonable and polite, it will get through to us. There are at least two members in this discussion who have seen that tonight.

suemvb said:
Treefork:
Another opinion I have is this: We will never have a "productive" discussion about this. People will just get worked up one way or the other and the thread will be closed. So I bid you all good day and take my exit from this thread.

Nowhere in this sentence does Treefork say that he can't do something.
His statement is that nobody is able to. He was speaking for everyone, including himself. I happened to believe he was wrong about everyone else. Certainly there are some people who are incapable of having that discussion, but as has been said, the rest of that thread is testament to the fact that people can have the discussion.

As Lucy pointed out in the thread, and as I pointed out here, I was commending him for his maturity. Anyone who has a problem with that is looking for problems to argue about, to try to pick a fight.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
suemvb said:
I don't think that it's reasonable to compare a group of people that keep a certain type of fish to a group of people that control the conversations of the entire forum.
Of course it is.
Bashing is bashing no matter what group of people you're refering to.

Yet at the risk of being called unfair (once again) we left this thread open to whom ever would like to take a jab.
Where in fact, no other thread like this would be allowed to continue.

suemvb said:
I have been annoyed on more than one occasion by SDS taking control of the conversation to prove a point.
Was this taken up privately with him? With any other mod or Mike if you didn't feel comfortable asking sds?
I'm assuming the answer is no, otherwise this thread would not exist.

suemvb said:
I’m also sorry that it looks as if I started the thread when in reality I just commented on someone else’s thread.
Your comment was off topic from the original thread.
Wasn't that one of the concerns of that topic? That we sometimes delete OT post?
In this case, it was moved, not deleted.
Is there a 3rd option we missed that we could have chosen to make the members satisfied with the job we try to do?

suemvb said:
I just spent a large portion of my free time this evening arguing over a fish forum.
So have we along with keeping an eye on the entire rest of the forum.

suemvb said:
From now on no more comments from me on whether threads should be closed.
We don't mind anyone asking why something was deleted, edited, moved or closed as long as it is done privately and politely.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know this is off topic but...
I <3 the mods and their job! I feel a little responsible for this poop chute of rage that has been unleashed because it was my thread that started, and I don't even agree with what people are saying. I have already apologized in PM to two mods, but to the rest of you i apologize!

I have never seen a thread where everyone was staying on topic and being polite where the mods of stepped out and closed the thread or deleted posts. It is only when people refuse to stay on topic (especially when the OP or a mod has asked people to stay on topic) or people start getting rude. That is when they step in and do the job that mike picked them for. It is a thankless job but I appreciate it.

I for one wouldn't hold it against the mods at all for voting to close this thread. Very little productive talking has gone on. It has been about 90% mod bashing 10% actual suggestions for how to improve. Constructive criticism is one thing and if they closed a thread that was actually constructive that would be bad. However this thread is just dogging on them and I don't think people should be doing this and it is probably against forum rules, meaning they would be completely within their rights to close it, but haven't. Which I think disproves many of the attacks they have received.

sirdarksol said:
As I pointed out above, and as Lucy backed me up on, the stuff that people are pointing at me for is the mod team as a whole. We don't act alone. We act in concert.

People continue to point a finger at me, as if I'm a problem.
I think the other mods are trying to make you look like the bad cop so that we will all love them more because they are jealous of you

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, that was quite a discussion. I've been a member here on Fishlore for about two years now, and think that all the Mods on this site do a great job and should be applauded for it. Just my 2 cents.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I totally understand closing threads because they are offtopic or people are being impolite.

The problem that I have personally had was the fact that SDS gives his 2c, and then closes the topic. I have seen Ken close many a topics and he just said, this topic has gotten out of hand and its time to close it, or its old...or what ever.

I am not joing the mob, and I do not have a pitchfork. I was meerly giving examples of situations where i understand this happens, including today in the other post. I didnt bother me enough to send a PM or even care much, but it does happen and as there is a thread about it, i feel that i could shed light that i have seen the same as other people.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is why the Mods are Mods though, surely? Mike has obviously chosen people who he trusts, and feels to have good judgement to choose when a thread should, or should not be closed, etc. That is the Moderators job at the end of the day.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow, I have just read this thread, and it seems a bit.....strong at times. I can't even think of the words (strange for me I realise!).

I don't see a problem with sending a pm (to mod or member) if you feel something is not justifed, if you want an explanation, if you feel like action should be taken etc... I myself have done it, I have reported posts that I feel are inappropriate, or that are advertising spam. I have also gotten answers when I need them from whoever can provide them. I have also conducted conversations in pm that have resulted from a thread but would be off-topic if I actually posted there.

It is a very tough job (Ken is on very early in the morning just to catch the changes in timezone so that there is a mod on at all times, and I always wonder how he manages it so early.). Due to this, I would normally go to Ken first as I am in UK and he is always there to help in my morning time. Any other time (later on in my day, but morning for you guys) I go to any mod that's there!

Seriously, they want to help, I've always gotten it when I needed it even though they are busy. I even like it when SDS clarifies something as I can understand it then as well!! I used to be scared of him to be honest, but I see where he comes from now so the fear has gone... Shhh, don't tell him though

Suemvb, please don't feel picked on or anything, no-ones going to ask you to leave!

Finally, as with all these discussions, I've just given my opinions without referencing anyone to avoid anyone feeling singled out by my opinions when they don't necessarily share my view.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I highly recommend that everyone refresh yourself with Fish Lore Rules:

Please pay particular attention to Rule #10.

Well, I'm implementing Fish Lore Rule #10 and I'm closing this thread. If you are unhappy with my decision then you may send a Private Message to MIKE, or an email to Mike at the address below:
support@fishlore.com

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom