Discussion about mods closing threads

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Meenu took the time to make a poll so to say her time and effort is pointless is a tad harsh.
In all fairness to SDS, I was pretty harsh in my first post in the other thread first.

I actually agree that for the mods to decide what has value to me or you and what doesn't isn't very fair. I honestly believe that poll was shut down because the mods didn't like the results (I didn't either), and that people can try to justify it until they are blue in the face, but the justification doesn't fly with me any more than it flies with you.

That being said, I hadn't brought it up with the mods previously because in the end, Mike's given them authority to make these calls, and I can respect that and walk away from it.

Is it how I would have handled things? No, absolutely not. Am I offended by how they handled things? Nope.

And Brian, yes, I was instructed by Ken that he would shut down the thread if there was any discussion. I was not allowed to open it without that stipulation. (I don't like to be oppressed any more than I like to be censored, but it is the price of being a FL member.)

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Suemvb,
I just read your last post in monmouth's thread. That would have been way more on-topic here in this thread, or even in a PM directly to SDS, in my opinion. That being said, I see no reason at all why you would feel the need to leave Fishlore for speaking up. SDS's responses in these two threads haven't been censuring in any way, in my opinion. He's done nothing more than defend and explain the actions of the moderators, which is what we called on him to do.

SDS has responded maturely in this discussion, and I see nothing that would warrant your feeling you can't be a part of FL anymore. I hope you'll change your mind. You've been around this forum for much longer than I have, but I can tell you that the mods don't ban you for disagreeing with them, or I would have been gone long ago.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He asked for examples of when he went off topic. He was the one that went off topic in the ASPCA thread. As far as which thread it was posted in, the thread was split up from the original thread. Sorry if I should have posted in the other thread. I was actually thinking if I was going to post I had better do it fast before the thread was closed.

I see no reason why it should be discussed in a PM. The things we are talking about take place for all to see so why shouldn't this?

I didn't mean that I would leave Fishlore. I meant that I would get kicked off Fishlore for crossing SDS.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well folks, we have 25,296 members now. The mods and everyone has been doing a great job, but we also have 25,296 different personalities too.

This is a great forum but there will be incidents from time to time, we are lucky enough to have MODS who care enough to help us to try to stay organised, of course once in a while somes toes may get stepped on or at least we think they have. Good job, mods, and thank you.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
H
I see no reason why it should be discussed in a PM.
Because perhaps it would be more polite to discuss disagreements in private with the person (whether it be another member or a mod) you are having a disagreement with?

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Because perhaps it would be more polite to discuss disagreements in private with the person (whether it be another member or a mod) you are having a disagreement with?
My point was that the disagreements I was referencing took place in the thread for all to see. Look at the conversation in the link I posted. Is there any way that should have been said in the thread? I don't think it should have been said at all.

To be fair I am responding to something that you and Meenu said in your last posts about whether something should be said in a PM. I know I'm going off topic by responding.

Thank you for all of your hard work Lucy. It's greatly appreciated.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I see no reason why it should be discussed in a PM. The things we are talking about take place for all to see so why shouldn't this?
Because when you are talking about groups its one thing, when you start with an individual its best to move to PM. Be that a mod or a regular member.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm not talking about groups of people. I'm talking about a personal attack made by one person to another person on a public thread. Did you see the link I posted and read comments 19 and 22?

So if this is my thread now can I close it. I could just take my ball and go home

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I didn't mean that I would leave Fishlore. I meant that I would get kicked off Fishlore for crossing SDS.
Seriously? I know I'm kind of arguing both sides, but it's because I can easily see both sides. I don't agree with SDS's recollection of how cichlidyay's thread went down either, but he's not going to ban me for it. I can say that with absolute certainty. The mods on FL do not ban members for having an opinion, even if you're crossing them. As long as you remain polite and make your point, they'll take it.

As far as why over PM versus publicly, because it isn't fun to be called out publicly for the mods any more than it is for us. If someone has an issue with me, I'd prefer it to be resolved privately, which is why I brought that up. At this point, this isn't about the moderation at FL in general, it's become about a specific thread and against a specific mod.

I've disagreed privately and publicly with every mod here except on the saltwater forum and Butterfly. They haven't banned me because I (try to) keep my comments mature and polite, like you and SDS have in this thread.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it’s always good to have a touch of humility. Another example:
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/76883-discussion-bettas-communities-2.html

Check out post 19 and 22. I don’t think Treefork was looking for validation here. In my opinion he was saying that it’s frustrating to even try to have the discussion because a moderator can simply state their opinion in the last thread and close the thread. The response to his comment was used to twist his words around and imply that Treefork had admitted to some personality flaw.

And yes I realize I’m probably going to be done on Fishlore for this…
It's still open, and someone other than me has the last post there. Yes, I am able to do that, but I'm also able to randomly ban people just for posting a smiley I don't like. All of the moderators can. The thing is, we don't.

And the comment in 22 was not an insult, it was a commendation of someone's maturity. The most difficult thing for someone to do is to admit that they can't do something. Treefork did just that.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even if you are moderately impolite like me it still takes a bit to get banned. I assume since Im still here.

Joe

EDIT: lol I just realized I got mention in a thread before I even joined it. Nice.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would just like to point out that the OP in this thread talks about Mods themselves going off topic and then closing a thread with the last word, like no one can disagree with them. A perfect example is the thread that started this one.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/forum-announcements-suggestions/79717-suggestion-off-topic-post-thread.html
Here the OP closed the thread and a Mod reopened it to argue his point and then closed it again. **EDIT** it seems that the Mod deleted his last post...lol

I have only seen one Mod do this, it urks me, and I have seen it more than once.

I have nothing but respect for the mods here on this forum and i really appreciate the mods for doing their jobs and making this forum someplace that i like to call 'home' Ken and Lucy specifically have been of great help to me and I have never seen anything done by them that has seemed inappropriate.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My three cents (inflation, used to be two), guys? I really think we should keep this to general moderation. I hate seeing the people here on a witch hunt against a specific person, whether it be a moderator or a regular member.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am glad that the post after I closed the thread was deleted. I closed the thread to try and save the mods grief, and felt that doing that subverted my attempt. I do commend the mod for realizing their error and correcting it. This is all we can ask of them. We are all humans and will make mistakes, but not everyone will step up and correct their mistake.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Even if you are moderately impolite like me it still takes a bit to get banned. I assume since Im still here.
Yeah, but we've got our eyes on you. If you sneeze while you're typing, we'll know and you'll be gone. ;D

No, seriously, we don't like banning people. It's not pleasant, and it's time that we could spend doing other things. In fact, I dislike banning people so much that I actually will put up with less pleasant discussions and waste much more time, just to avoid having to ban someone.

I am glad that the post after I closed the thread was deleted. I closed the thread to try and save the mods grief, and felt that doing that subverted my attempt. I do commend the mod for realizing their error and correcting it. This is all we can ask of them. We are all humans and will make mistakes, but not everyone will step up and correct their mistake.
Sorry. That bit of discussion needed to happen, in my opinion, and I forgot that you can actually quote across threads, so I quoted and posted in that thread, then moved it here. I was hoping that I'd do it quickly enough that it wouldn't even be noticed.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry. That bit of discussion needed to happen, in my opinion, and I forgot that you can actually quote across threads, so I quoted and posted in that thread, then moved it here. I was hoping that I'd do it quickly enough that it wouldn't even be noticed.
That makes sense. Thank you for letting us know what was up :-D

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have only seen one Mod do this, it urks me, and I have seen it more than once.
Another thing that maybe you should know, then. In addition to the fact that we usually talk about it prior to closing threads like that, I am often asked, by the other mods, to be the one to post explanations.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have kept fairly quiet in both these threads and quite frankly, I am sick of it.

If any other group of people or person (besides the mods) were being bashed like they are in this thread....betta keepers, cichlid keepers ect, this thread would have been closed and probably deleted in an instant.
I guarantee it. I would have done it myself.

And yes, sds is called on quite often as we appreciate him for it.

From now on, may I suggest anyone that has an issue to pm the moderator or anyone of us.
If you're not comfortable with that, pm Mike.
Until you do that please do not presume you know the whole story as we will not intentionally embarrass anyone in open forum.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting. I'm curious as to when you've seen this happen. .
I see what you are saying Lucy..... but sds did ask where this was happening.

I think they are just trying to give examples like he asked for. Thats the way I was reading into it anyhow.

Brian

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see what you are saying Lucy..... but sds did ask where this was happening.

I think they are just trying to give examples like he asked for. Thats the way I was reading into it anyhow.

Brian
The question was answered posts ago, #'s 4 and 9 I believe.

Anything other examples after that could have gone into pm especially after my post #25.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom