Discus

allnaturalallen29

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have been into the tank game for quite a while and I'm looking at keeping 2 discus in my 55...everywhere I look people say that they're so hard to keep but I don't see why can someone explain

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its just that there sensitive fish. Water parameters need to be near perfect. As long as your fully cycled and keep up with your water changes every week you should have no problem.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
allnaturalallen29 said:
I have been into the tank game for quite a while and I'm looking at keeping 2 discus in my 55...everywhere I look people say that they're so hard to keep but I don't see why can someone explain
I would recommend you read the sticky's in the discus section so you understand the particular parameters that they require, otherwise you will spend a lot of money on a fish that you won't have much time to enjoy.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They would need a bigger tank than 55 gallons in my opinion. They also need to be in groups of 6+

sharambil

Valued Member
Reaction score
If not kept in groups, they tend to degrade quickly. I personally would keep them in nothing less than a 75 gallon, and keep a group of 8

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I didn't know discus were schooling

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mainly because they need more care than your normal fish, specially when they are juveniles. You need to give them a lot of meaty foods, sometimes 3 times a day, and do a lot of water changes, some people even do daily water changes for the first year.
Unless you have an automatic water change system, keeping Discus is kind of a job and less of a hobby.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads