discus

240gordy

Reaction score
would mixing the types of discuss be a problem? Would they still school? What kind of discuss would you recommend for looks along with adaptability with other fish. I was hoping to have them(discuss) in with some angel and small neon tetras. What do you think.

fish_r_friend

Well Known
Reaction score
discuss do not do well with angles I Have never tryed this but I leaned it from a magazine

OP

240gordy

Reaction score
would mixing the types of discuss be a problem? Would they still school? What kind of discuss would you recommend for looks along with adaptability with other fish.

OP

240gordy

Reaction score
would mixing the types of discuss be a problem? Would they still school? What kind of discuss would you recommend for looks along with adaptability with other fish.

ncje

Reaction score
Discus tend to mix pretty well amongst other discus, don't have too much of a size difference though. Pigeon blood and blue turqoise look really nice together.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All types of Discus will school AND breed together.
Carol

Jason

Well Known
Reaction score
You should mix them with some cardinals insted because they're bigger and look nicer, also some cories down the bottom would look good. Ive also heard of mixing them with rams.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also remember that Discus require high-quality maintenace; they need VERY good water. Judging by their mature size, they also need a large tank - I'd say the smallest being at least 75 gallons.

nicole

Reaction score
you can put angels and discus together but personally I wouldn't,I've read that angels carry certain illnesses that discus are prone to I know people that do have them together without any problems so its a personal choice.

bmRboY

Reaction score
nicole said:
you can put angels and discus together but personally I wouldn't,I've read that angels carry certain illnesses that discus are prone to I know people that do have them together without any problems so its a personal choice.
I agree... Tetras are your safest bet... neons look pretty cool with discus... currently have clown loaches, black ghost fish and 1 elephant nose... I'm thinking of retiring the loaches in the pond... they don't really bother the discus, they just eat too dang fast...

sick-lid boy

Reaction score
I had a school of seven neon tetras in my discus tank. At first they were doing really well. They added a nice burst of color to the tank when they would all school up. But then one died... and then another... then two completely vanished... then a another one died. So now I'm down to two neons. The two that disappeared are the one's that really concern(ed) me. A dead fish or two left undiscovered in a tank can cause a serious ammonia spike and be fatal to discus. Fortunately, it never happened to my tank, but it is something to think about before putting small, frail, fish like Neon Tetras in a relatively large discus tank.

Also, I have four different types of discus in my tank (Pigeon Blood, Red Marlboro, Red Turquoise, and Ocean Green). They all get along just swimmingly (pun intended).

bmRboY

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much... the neons may be small but they sure are fast... They were probably sick when you got them... did you quarantine them first before putting in the discus tank? I don't think the discus could have killed the neons... just my opinion...

sick-lid boy

Reaction score
No, I don't think they got eaten. I also have a pair of Dwarf Gouramis in the tank, but the D.G.s and the Discus pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to the Neons. The three that died all died from the same ailment- they got all bloated with some fungus as well and died within a few hours of showing the symptoms. Still have no clue as to what happened with the two M.I.A.s. I assume they just died and I never was able to locate the carcasses. I had the neons for several months before any of them died, so I doubt if they were sick when I got them.

New Threads