Discus

1. JustinT Initiate Member

Hi, I have a discus and angelfish tank and I know that they are 'generally' peaceful. I don't really have problems with any of them except that occasionally one of my bigger discus' will terrorize the smallest one I have, which I bought a few weeks ago. It's not constant, but it's enough to concern me. And, of course, it's worse at feeding times, which makes me think it's just a hierarchial problem. Will the big discus lay off once his dominance is established? Or should I separate them? I have a 58 gallon tank by the way....

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Discus are usually peaceful toward each other from what I've read. I would've thought the angels would be the problem in that tank! How many discus and how many angels are in that tank?

3. JustinT Initiate Member

I know! I was more worried about my angels too. I have two angels and five discus. I know (from my experience at least) that if you get two discus of the same type (snakeskin with snakeskin or red turqoise with red turqoise) that they'll either become a mating pair or not get along, but all of mine are of generally the same size and all different types. Any thoughts?

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

wow u got discus they're pretty expensive over here!

5. JustinT Initiate Member

Yeah, they run high for such a risky and finicky fish to have. But you can't beat their beautiful colors and interesting behavior. If you have a tank that's been balanced for a long time and you take good care of it (assuming it's a community tank) then you should give one a try.

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Try feeding at several different places in the tank to make sure they all get food and cut down on bullying.

7. Callum The Cat Well Known Member Member

i agree around 70 bucks for a baby lemon disuc