Discus Question

1. Hershey1

Hershey1 Valued Member Member

What size tank do discus need?

2. s

sailor7x Valued Member Member

3. ZanderFTW

ZanderFTW Valued Member Member

55 gallon is a good size tank i would say but the bigger the better make sure you do your research before having discus they are an advanced fish and require schools and clean water. Its better to keep them in a species only tank but people keep them with some species of the tetra family and some other species.

4. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I've heard 55 Gallon, but I think if you can go bigger the better. I just bought a 100 Gallon and someday it will have discus, but in the far future. They require a mature/stable tank and pristine conditions.

5. ZanderFTW

ZanderFTW Valued Member Member

I'm with on that man someday i have to make that leap to discus.

6. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

First of you need to answer a few questions:
    What size are the fish? How many Discus?
    With that said no tank is a best tank it all depends on quantity? Don't set up the tank with substrate as discus realize a slime that is hard to clean if you have substrate. If you want to read more go to this page.
    http://www.discusnada.org/index.html

7. OP
    OP
    Hershey1

Hershey1 Valued Member Member

It was just a fish for possible future not going to get any anytime soon.

8. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

55 gal is the smallest tank you should use for Discus. 75 gl and up is recommended but you can keep 6 Discus in a 55 gl. the rule is 1 discus for every 10 gl, many will push that area and do daily water changes.
    do your research, start off with healthy fish and keep your water conditions prestine.

9. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

I heard that a 55g is good for a school of 6 but they need pristine water conditions. You generally want bigger is better.

10. saqib

saqib Well Known Member Member

Discus are the pride of freshwater aquariums, a bit on the needy side but that is justified with their majestic selves

11. ryanr

ryanr Fishlore Legend Member

G'day, I've moved your topic to the Discus forum so that more members might see your question.

And I agree - one of the most majestic FW fish.

12. navyscuba

The bigger the better yes but only when the fish are in good size if they are small they will not be happy. If they are 2" I would start by using a 30 gal and then move them into a 55 or larger. This is on a 6 fish count.

13. noslen1003

noslen1003 Valued Member Member

how do I access this "Discus Forum"?

14. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

go to Freshwater Aquarium Fish Forum, the 4th Sub-title is Freshwater Fish & Invertebrates-click on it, then the 2nd Sub-title is Freshwater Fish Forum - find and click Cichlids,
    then under American Cichlids - click Discus, you will then see the threads under the Discus Forum.
    hope this helps, Tom

15. Fall River

Fall River Valued Member Member

At Navyscuba: Are you saying that a school of six 2" Discus would not be comfortable starting out in a 55 or larger tank? Even if it was planted and had a school of something like Cardinal Tetras?
    I'm currently researching Discus myself, gathering all the info I can. Can you explain the reasoning behind that, please?
    Thank you.

16. navyscuba

I would keep them in a 30 or so by themselves until they reach 3" or bit more bare bottom and 50% daily WC and then move them into a larger tank. Clean water is the rule for them so consider that. I personally know the President of this organization and he breed some awesome fish. Check here any info you can contact me.
    http://www.discusnada.org/

17. Fall River

Fall River Valued Member Member

Thanks Navy. I was aware that juvies need large, daily wc to promote good health and good growth. Makes sense to keep them in a smaller volume to reduce the workload.
    And thanks for that link, I bookmarked it when I saw it in your previous post. Haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

18. noslen1003

noslen1003 Valued Member Member

would really suggest that you start with 4-4.5" sizes rather than juvies; they are more easier to take care of & are not that sensitive to changes. Also feeding schedule can be less than 3-4 times if necessary.
    the other point is to make sure that you get healthy fishes from a certified supplier/ breeder - rather than PetCo or other LFS.

90-gallon is an ideal tank for discus - tank depth & height.