Discus

1. riveralouwielardizabal Initiate Member

hi im planning a 50 gallon Discus tank. can i have 5 discus along with 10 cardinals and 6 cory cats?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I don't see any problems with your stocking list. Let's get more responses to be certain.

I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken

Attached Files:

3. Slug Well Known Member Member

Should be fine, just be sure to keep up with the water changes.

4. nitingdedao Member Member

Hmm I personally would take out the cats and increase the amount of cardinals.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think it sounds like a good list. I'd actually bump the corys up to 10 as well :)

6. riveralouwielardizabal Initiate Member

+4 corys then :D :D :D thanks a lot for your inputs guys :) i was wondering also what would be the best filter for discus? would a lone power filter(AquaClear 110 Power Filter). do the job? or should i compliment it with a sponge filter?

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I personally LOVE canisters so if you can get your hands on one of those I'd do what you can. :) If not maybe look into getting a second HOB filter.

8. noslen1003 Member Member

9. Slug Well Known Member Member

The only thing about the cories is, a lot of them don't care for the higher Temps discus are kept at. Corydoras sterbai would be the best choice.

As for filters, whatever you want to clean and can clean well. They all work, the key is just to not let wastes build up. My choice would be HOB and/or sponge filter. The basics of a filter in a discus tank are to provide air into the water, provide a place for good bacteria and maybe some water movement. You should be doing water changes where the actual mechanical filtration of the filter shouldn't matter.

10. nitingdedao Member Member

The best filter is water changes. I personally do a 25 % every heart meal. 90% once every evening. If you are keeping Juv, you can see drastic growth than those kept in aquariums with minimal water changes. ;)