Discus with Chocolate Cichlid?

NahNah

Ok so I have my 125g tank with discus and some other smaller fish like tetras and corys I’m going to remove the smaller fish soon when I redo the tank, and I’m going to replace them with striped pike characin (Boulengerella lateristriga) and a bgk. I was wondering if I could also move my chocolate cichlid from my 75g into the tank with them. I’m not really worried about the bgk because he’s been with the chocolate cichlid for a little over a year and a half. The chocolate cichlid hasn’t shown really and aggression at all not even the angel except for when the green severum when ever he nips at the chocolate and try’s to get her to move, then she just turns and chase him to the middle of the tank. I don’t know if her temperament will change when there isn’t anything to keep her in check or if she’ll stay the same. I’m also not sure if the chocolate will outcompete the discus and striped pike characin for food. The chocolate isn’t a very aggressive eater, but I don’t know if that will change if I move her. Although I think I could probably get her to eat on one side while the rest eat on the other or just lure her away with worms or something, because I will be feeding earthworms to the striped pike characin and probably the chocolate as well if I do add her to the tank.

MacZ

The Boulengerella and Hypselecara will quite surely outcompete the Discus. A black ghost knife has no place in that tank either. The three species are in my opinion not compatible with Discus and I would have some objections to combine them without the Discus as well. Not good tankmates for the Symphysodon. Long term the tank will also be a bit small.

In the wild they come from the same regions (except Boulengerella, which come from the Orinoco basin) but you have to keep in mind the river systems of South America have lots of different subsets of habitats. You won't find these fish together in the same habitat.

TClare

Depending on how many discus you have, would it not be better to put them in the 75 and the bigger fish in the 125?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fissh
Replies
Views
BarbaraLocke
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views