29 Gallon Tank Discus with Angels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, I was wondering... since both discus and angelfish are from the Amazon and live together (somewhat) will the be fine in my tank? I have a good amount of live plants for them to hide in and I also have Festivum cichlids that won't do much damage to the discus at all either. Or will the angels be kind of aggressive to the discus?

Can discus even stay in a 10 gallon tank at all? Like if I get them a small 10 gallon tank for them to stay in? Like just one Discus. Or will they get too stressed out? The discus I see range from a "toonie" or 2 dollars Canadian coin size to a big 10 cm discus at the pet store. I don't catch discus from my pond that swim in because they like it better in their own natural habitat.

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't keep discus in a 10 gallon that is way to small even for a angelfish. You could keep a very small one in there for a while but then you would need to put the discus in a bigger tank. You could get away with the angels but they can be aggressive. I recommend you should get 10 neon tetras or 10 rummynose tetras to go with the discus. But also make sure you don't overstock your tank, which you probably already know.

OP
N

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't keep discus in a 10 gallon that is way to small even for a angelfish. You could keep a very small one in there for a while but then you would need to put the discus in a bigger tank. You could get away with the angels but they can be aggressive. I recommend you should get 10 neon tetras or 10 rummynose tetras to go with the discus. But also make sure you don't overstock your tank, which you probably already know.
I see. So then I can keep a discus in with angels? I hear angels are voracious eaters, but I've found a way to counter act that so that's not really much of a problem for me I'll probably go and get a discus today they are medium sized.

OP
N

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Neji, a 10 gallon tank is too small for a Discus or Angelfish I'm afraid. You could keep a few small Tetras or Guppies in a 10gal, but it's really too small for cichlids.
Alright. I have at the moment one betta, 1 hatchet fish, 3 ruby neons, 3 green neons (really really really small both ruby and green) lots of live plants and about 4 oto cats. I'm guessing my tank is already full along with having live plants too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom