Discus vs. Jack Dempseys

1. Marine Man Member Member

Okay I have 55 gallon with a Jack Dempsey. There is two things I am wanting to do but needed help on. The first option is to figure out what fish can live with my JD. He is aggressive and very territorial. He recently ate a tiger oscar that was his size!!!! What fish can I put with him?? People say fish bigger than him but what fish exactly??? Plan B is to bring him back to PetSmart and get either a Discus or Angelfish to base my tank off of. What are some good tank mates for the discus and Angelfish???? Also what other freshwater fish are good to base a tank off of??? I want something that looks like a tang (pointing out the discus) or something that is really cool. Not anything like barbs or tetras. Thanks for all of the upcoming help!!!:;hi1

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

How old is your JD? If you want to house anything with an aggressive cichlid, they must be brought up together as Juvenilles. I have 4 in my tank, but I can no longer put anything else in the tank or it will get torn to shreds. It sounds like your JD is a that stage. I personally would get a pair of Discus or Angelfish to center my tank around maybe with Rams. They are beautiful semi-aggressives that won't kill each other (most of the time at least).

3. Marine Man Member Member

thanks that sounds good. and yes he is a young en

anyone else have any suggestions?

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

I'd get rid of the JD personally. I don't have much patience with fish that are that aggressive. Getting a bigger fish would just cause you more problems. The truth is that JDs prefer to have a LARGE territory so yours considers the entire 55g his territory. Adding more fish is just adding threats to his territory so he takes care of those threats by killing them. As for either Angelfish or Discus, I think either would work but Angelfish would probably be less work for you. Discus prefer better water conditions and should be thoroughly researched before you venture into them. You can keep lots of other fish with Discus or Angelfish. Tetras are a good choice. I like Bleeding Heart Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Penguin Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, and Rummynose Tetras best. You can also keep loaches, plecos, catfish, and Rasboras with them.

5. Marine Man Member Member

does anyone know if buying fish online is good? I was thinking of getting rams and discus off line but did not know if fish are treated poorly. Also is there any site is hould go to to buy them? are there and discus under 45 bucks? also what are some other exotic looking freshwater fish?

6. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I buy and sell fish online so I can tell you that if you buy from the right places it can be very good and easy. Some sellers do treat their fish badly but usually you can tell who is good and who is bad. There are Discus that are under $45 each but they are smaller than what you may think I believe. I'm not sure what size you see them at normally. What do you think 'exotic' fish look like?

7. Marine Man Member Member

Well ive got my list. It is: Butterfly Ram, Red Marble Discus (3), Striped Raphael Catfish, and a few phantom tetras (4). This is my list if anyone has suggestions to add on or take away just comment.

8. fbn Well Known Member Member

9. Marine Man Member Member

Im not buying anything online anymore, is my list okay???????

10. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Okay you want at least two Rams. I would suggest staying away from any longfin or balloon rams. Personally, I prefer Bolivian Rams to German Blue Rams. They are larger and sometimes work better with Discus than German Blues. Also you want at least 6 Discus. Also stay away from Raphael Catfish as they get quite large and will eat smaller fish.

I, personally, do not like JoeG. He is a difficult person to deal with. But this may be different with Discus. I have heard that his Discus are quite nice. But keep in mind that most of his fish are a mix of two or more strains and they may not look exactly what you thought they would or what the picture shows.

11. Marine Man Member Member

thanks you got any discus?

12. fbn Well Known Member Member

Unless you have a mom and pop fish store or a very large LFS in your area, you will probably have to buy the discus online, unfortunately. :(

13. Marine Man Member Member

I got a petco that has them, been there.

14. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I used to have Discus in my fishroom but I don't have too much experience with them. I don't have them anymore, sorry. What type of Discus do you like?

Eh, don't try to get PetCo Discus. The only PetCos that I've been to weren't all that great.

15. Marine Man Member Member

Red Marble, and one more tiny question, what about this list:
    3 Discus
    2 Rams
    4 Black Phantom Tetras
    1 Bottom Feeder

16. Marine Man Member Member

17. noslen1003 Member Member

discus / cardinals / sterbai - that is what I have in my 90-gallon tank; works pretty well.
    discus - would suggest at least 4-fishes (even number); if you cannot get the minimum 6-fishes.
    got all my discus from discus-hans-usa.com / actually went to see his fish room in Baltimore last weekend; visit the site you would alos see the pricing & corresponding sizes.

Make sure you do your research for the water requirements in your tank.

18. Marine Man Member Member

What if i change the panda cory to featherfin catfish

19. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Okay first of all Discus prefer groups of 6 or more. So you need at least that many. That's what I consider to be a minimum group size for Discus. Rams look good. Have you decided on what type? You need ad least 10 Black Phantom Tetras because they can be pretty nippy in smaller groups. I prefer Diamond or Lemon Tetras in that shape. Although with Discus I think Rummynoses and Cardinals look best. With bottom feeders you have a wide variety. You could try plecos or loaches or corries or a couple of types of catfish. With plecos I think you might prefer something like a Clown Panaque (L104) or a Blue Panaque (L239). Those are my favorites so far. I also really like Blue Eye Plecos (L144). With plecos you want something that will stay smaller. Smaller plecos also have a smaller chance of eating the Discus's slime coat. With Loaches you'll need at least 3 in most cases. I really like Chain Loaches and Yo-yo loaches. I also like Kuhli Loaches but they need groups of 10 or more. Corries need a group of 6 or more and are really great bottom dwellers. I currently have 10 Albino aeneus corries that are really nice fish. Very active and usually good clean up crews. And there are different types of Catfish you could keep with Discus but I can't think of any specific ones at the moment.

A featherfin catfish might work. It really depends on what temperature you are thinking of keeping your tank at. They prefer low 80s but Discus need at least 84.

20. Marine Man Member Member

Okay with all of your very helpful suggestions I am getting this

4 Discus (Red Marble)
    2 Butterfly Rams
    4 Cardinal Tetras
    1 Feather fin Catfish

My tank will be around 82 degrees F and my natural tap is around 7.6 for ph (i am in texas) so I need Ph softener. A lot of time, work, effort, and money will be put into this set up. I feel it is real worth the effort to house these wonderful and magnificent fish. Also I want to get one of those systems or decor that blows air (bubbles) into the water. Should I get it? Is it important or just for looks? This site has been very helpful and the members really kind.