Funny Discus Then & Now!

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My original babies are growing up from little 1+ inchers that I bought. Now their little kids. Soon they’ll be teenagers☹.
I’m keeping track of them growing, like I do my daughter.
Then:
IMG_1386.JPG

Now:
IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2 new additions from month or so ago. Hard to photo them, they follow me so much. Sold to me as platinum/white, not platinum, but I wanted orange or yellow anyway.
IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
Thank you. The 1st two I got really small without color. I bought the seachem discus flakes, they fall apart & none of they fish really like them.
So, I feed them a variety of food- tetra flakes & granules, Hikari vibrabites, frozen baby brine shrimp, freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms & shrimp wafers(bottom feeder type), tubifex worms & they’ll eat pleco wafers too. They’ll pretty much eat anything that’ll fit in their little mouths or that they can pick apart. Mines are aggressive eaters.
But I found if you mainly fed flakes, granular & wafers you water quality stays in check better than frozen & live foods. Frozen & live ruin the water quickly.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello
Thank you. The 1st two I got really small without color. I bought the seachem discus flakes, they fall apart & none of they fish really like them.
So, I feed them a variety of food- tetra flakes & granules, Hikari vibrabites, frozen baby brine shrimp, freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms & shrimp wafers(bottom feeder type), tubifex worms & they’ll eat pleco wafers too. They’ll pretty much eat anything that’ll fit in their little mouths or that they can pick apart. Mines are aggressive eaters.
But I found if you mainly fed flakes, granular & wafers you water quality stays in check better than frozen & live foods. Frozen & live ruin the water quickly.
When feeding flakes get a decent size pinch (enough for all fish) hold in your fingers submerged (discus should come to eat from your fingers) once you feel the food taking on water after about 15 seconds you can let go and the flake will stay together better.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When feeding flakes get a decent size pinch (enough for all fish) hold in your fingers submerged (discus should come to eat from your fingers) once you feel the food taking on water after about 15 seconds you can let go and the flake will stay together better.

Hey
Thanks. I do that with freeze dried when stick to side of tank, but flake I just shake a little on top of water. Tetra flakes stay together, the discus flakes disintegrate. I’ll try that with discus flakes.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh nice, i feed a few different kinds too, flakes, granules and freeze dried black worms.. Mine are pigs lol
Hey
The 1st two I bought I thought were going to be blues, but they were all so small @ LFS they were like a grayish color. So, they changed on
me to red & orange/turq color. But, that’s what was so cool about buying baby babies discus & watching them grow. How much they changed in color.
Some people’s discus on here will be way bigger than mine cause they bought older/teenager fish to begin with. I bought 2 little infants, lol .

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@tiffani what a cutie! Got to love newbies, i have 2 new ones, im naming 1 of them Rocky, as in stalone lol He is like a mad hatter at feeding time boxing on with all the others!

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@tiffani what a cutie! Got to love newbies, i have 2 new ones, im naming 1 of them Rocky, as in stalone lol He is like a mad hatter at feeding time boxing on with all the others!

Thank you
Smokey eats real well, except for lil bit is picking on him some, but after a week or two that subsides. I think he’s powder blue?? Idk- my lfs plays guess the mystery discus color. Idk- I like growing them out & them changing colors. It’s like Christmas to me.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you
Smokey eats real well, except for lil bit is picking on him some, but after a week or two that subsides. I think he’s powder blue?? Idk- my lfs plays guess the mystery discus color. Idk- I like growing them out & them changing colors. It’s like Christmas to me.
I actually dont know what strain that discus is sorry, do you have a normal photo of it without filters?

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, I used filter to make them cute. I’m trying to do a photo timeline of their growth, from babies to adults. I’ll take regular photos tomorrow. 6]

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually dont know what strain that discus is sorry, do you have a normal photo of it without filters?
Here’s video of my tank.
Remember, I’m running on temporary HOB filtration while I wait for replacement canister or buy better HOB.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@tiffani Hi, thank you for the video, how cute are they! I am still puzzled at the strain of the new one, it looks blue diamond but has dark fins which is odd, its like it is mixed blue diamond and Turquoise but i cant be sure! Im going to call on a few others for help with this if they can :)
@coralbandit @86 ssinit @jmaldo can you guys ID the new discus in photo above or video please?

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey
Thank you.... I really don’t know what colors most of them are 23]. Except the white/albinos??? I buy them from same lfs & he doesn’t have them properly marked when I get them.
I don’t know what the red ones called either, other than what we’ve named them.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey tiffani tank and discus look great. So many names it’s impossible to guess. In the pics it looks white with blue/black fins in the video (luv the music)it looks kind of like a blue diamond. As it gets older and bigger the colors will come out more. The red one is real nice looking. Amazing it was that little gray one. I wonder if it’s the food we feed that dictates the color.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey tiffani tank and discus look great. So many names it’s impossible to guess. In the pics it looks white with blue/black fins in the video (luv the music)it looks kind of like a blue diamond. As it gets older and bigger the colors will come out more. The red one is real nice looking. Amazing it was that little gray one. I wonder if it’s the food we feed that dictates the color.

It’s crazy, because when I bought those 1st two, they were really really small, a grayish color, I thought both of them would turn out to be blues. Neither of them turned out blue like I thought. Lil bit is a turquoise- I think & strawberry turned red. The two whites are as we’re supposed to be platinums, I think their albinos or yellows. And the last one- Smokey, I thought was a powder blue??- however that one shows no bars/stripes- he gets real dark- almost black when mad.
I feed a lot of reddish foods, not on purpose- idk the foods just red colored. Blood worms, brine shrimp, hikari vibrabites, tetra bits, shrimp wafers and flakes are reddish too.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I 4] figured out what colors my discus I got when I found out where my lfs is getting his discus from.

Red Rose discus
IMG_3334.JPG

Turquoise discus
IMG_3329.JPG

Blue diamond
IMG_3331.JPG

Ghost discus

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom