Discus tank size

1. justice howe Initiate Member

So I've had 3 discus in a 10 gallon for a few months and everything's going good and now they decide to act differently one person I know that's into fish tells me to not use water conditioner with them because they don't need it will they be fine?

2. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Dont quote me on this but I believe they need somewhere around 50g+.

You need water conditioner to take out the heavy metals, chorine and choramines. If you don't they'll die.

Whats your water parameters? I believe they need pristine water consitions

3. justice howe Initiate Member

Oh ok. Thank you I'll get 50g soon then

4. octavio Member Member

And please use water conditioner whenever you set up or change water in their tank. They are one of the more difficult fish to keep happy because they prefer soft water, high temperatures (80 degrees) and do best with live or frozen food that has thawed out. My greatest success keeping Discus was in a 150 gallon tank that had natural sand substrate and was basically a forest of Vallisneria. They loved gliding through the tall grassy plants. So much so, they bred quite often. They required a great deal of attention, but it was worth it. I ended up selling them all to the guy who ran my LFS before I moved away to attend university. Good luck.

5. JFreshwater Member Member

10 gallons is a ridiculous size for 3 discus.