Discus Tank Help

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by bgardner510, Apr 14, 2018.

1. bgardner510

bgardner510Valued MemberMember

is anyone here more knowledgeable on discus than myself? Do discus like to have hiding spots? I have some fake wood in the tank and they all hide behind it. I know they are healthy because when you walk by the tank they come out and are interactive. They also come out immediately at feeding time. Just not sure if I should even give them a place to hide or not?

2. fishfanmanValued MemberMember

Yup, if you give them places to hide they will. But if they come out when you get in front of the tank, they're fine.

3. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

There's a YouTube channel you should check out. King of DIY. He used to breed discus, and keeps 4000+ gallons worth of aquariums. He's pretty knowledgable when it comes to freshwater fish.

With smaller discus, I think it'd be alright to have some hiding spots in the tank, or at least a dark portion where they can go to feel secure. When they grow older, and a bit bigger, I'd go decor-less myself. Maybe keep a dark portion, but they'll be fine.

4. OP
    OP
    bgardner510

While I have you guys, I’m getting a bit of algae buildup in the tank. I’ve heard mixed answers that you shouldn’t put a pleco with a discus because they will try to latch onto their slime coating. True or false?

5. OP
    OP
    bgardner510

They are about 2” if that matters

Attached Files:

6. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Beautiful fish!

I personally haven't heard of anything like that with plecos, but I wouldn't risk it unless you can find a very reputable source that says that they're safe. Discus aren't exactly fish to take chances on.

For algae build up, nerite snails are a good option. They can't breed in freshwater (they'll lay eggs, but won't hatch) and do an amazing job with algae.

They won't solve the source issue (too much light, or high phosphates) but are a good start.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  7. fishfanmanValued MemberMember

I'm not a fan of plecos personally but some types can work. For algae, reduce photo intensity/period, up your WCs, and look into phosphate reducers (get a test kit).

8. fishfanmanValued MemberMember

Plecos and other sucker fish can latch onto discus, that's a fact. If you must have one. Get a tiger. I'm definitely not a fan of snails in a discus tank. Risk of importing pathogens are too high for me even after QT. I don't risk my discus with those critters.

9. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I’ve seen plecos latch on just about anything if there is no food source. I always think it’s the keepers responsibility to keep the tank clean.

As for having a pleco as a mate? Not sure. You might want to ask your question on a site like simplydiscus. That forum will have more experienced people who knows discus.

10. TLOP

TLOPValued MemberMember

If you give them a hiding spot, they will hide. Usually people with fish at that size keep them in bare bottom tanks so its easier to clean. I myself have five 4 inch discus.

11. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

as others have said, if you give them hiding spots they will hide. I say less is better, if they hide you can't enjoy their beauty, jmo.
    as for plecos, I personally witnessed bristlenose plecos latch on the side of one of my Adult discus. he was removed immediately and plecos never went back in any of my Discus tanks.
    Algea? what color? no lights for 3-4 days will help, but its occurring for a reason, maybe overfeeding, maybe your light cycle is too long.

12. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

If they get a taste for it they will continue to do it, if they are provided with food they take before that point they are less likely to start. (Plecos cannot survive off algae alone, they need supplemental foods.) If you are having algae issues there is an imbalance in the tank you need to fix, either lighting, ferts, or something else is off causing algae to thing it is the best playground. Don't get a fish for something you can fix yourself.

13. OP
    OP
    bgardner510

I thank all of you very much.

14. esdwa

esdwaWell Known MemberMember

Interesting note about hiding.

Well, my discus is the first one to come front and make eye to eye contact with anyone approaching the tank. It does look funny. Some friends who visit me say they never thought a fish can be so... "social and responsive".

And only I know my discus do this because it thinks, it must be extra feeding time.

Recently I obtained couple new discus and after a day in qt, they both approach front as well and look at me straight in the eye... just like here... so no hiding in my case.
    _20180521_155259-1037x1323.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice