Discus stringy clear poo! Question

1. fishlee Member Member

Hes eating fine but has stringy "clear" poo but somtimes it has brown in it. What could this be? i also have antoher who is shaking when she swims and hides at the back but comes out at feeding times. the others are fine :confused:

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

My first thought with white stringy waste is a parasite of some kind, but it could be a few other things. Discus are pretty sensitive. What are your water parameters?

3. fishlee Member Member

Its hole in the head! The gray patches are starting to come out and its on atleast 3 of them...... This is not good :eek:

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Fishlee, can you post a photo? Also, any water quality issues?

5. fishlee Member Member

Can i post pics from my fone? :confused:

6. DaniosRock Member Member

Yes you can. Tap reply, then tap the camera icon and take your pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. fishlee Member Member

uploadfromtaptalk1405169550106.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1405169601310.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1405169623468.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1405169659276.jpg

8. fishlee Member Member

You cant see from the pics :eek:

9. fishlee Member Member

10. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Your discus with the stringy poo, does it have a long white stringy poo trailing him all the time ? or is it just white in stringy when he does go to the bathroom ?

11. fishlee Member Member

Just when he goes, its not constantly there

12. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

With HITH, you would notice erosion and ulcers versus white patches. virusmk or Disc61 would give you the best assessment, but in my opinion, your discus does not have HITH disease. White poop can be caused by constipation or the way your lighting reflects off the poo.

13. virusmk Well Known Member Member

fishlee In my case i was dealing with parasite/hex infection. To have HITH you really have to have very poor water onditions, whilst yours are good.

If strings are whitish, long and fish is trying to clear its bottom right after it poops, fish been bloated, ur discus is getting dark, you might have some sort of parasite, at least that was my case.

I would suggest to use some powerfull dewormer and if you do not notice any improvement than next step metro treatment.

But Tom Disc61 would be able to give you better advice than me.

My last treatment was powerfull dewormer called Kusuri (flubendazole) and youll find it, and it really did good job as bloating is gone poop is slowly getting normal.

And by the way find Therra A+ fish pellets, and feed them more of it as it is reach with vitamins

14. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Rivieraneo move this tread into discus section.
    There would be more respose overthere

15. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Thread moved to discus section to forum.

16. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

fishlee I would agree with the others that I don't think this is HITH, not seeing it from the pics at all. this sounds like a parasite of some sort. you mentioned some
    brownish color in with the white stringy poo, which doesn't sound real bad at this point.
    are the eating well??
    the shaking can be a sign of external parasites in the other. which means you have 2 different things going on in the tank.
    but nothing seems real bad at this point.
    I would raise the temp to 88 degrees add add a tablespoon of Epsom salt for every 10 gl of water and just observe for about 3 days, if the white stringy poo continues
    you will want to do a metro treatment (metronidazole).