Discus Strains Question

1. ccoulteral Initiate Member

So I just got some "assorted" discus from somethingsphishy... yeah yeah, already been told I was stupid from buying from them.
    ANYWAYS! LOL ... can anyone give me the names of these strains, since they gave me ZERO info on them?
    I'm pretty sure the red is a Marlboro, or something close to that.
    Thanks peeps b6141610b1916daf3c701905d43f1d4a.jpg 9b65bef8484c23e90516eab0b3dd5281.jpg 7b48e3ed6f2ecf5100918f8e569cc77e.jpg 0a35389691d90f9c178de121feb93cd8.jpg a9abc0737970eb9a07c893d06f6a1869.jpg

2. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

You would be better off identifying your discus strains if you posted on Simplydiscus.com. I have had discus for many years, but really bad when it comes to identifying the hundreds of strains out there.
    How long have you had your discus? Are they eating well?

3. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Top Picture looks like a Red Marlboro, second looks like a Blue Snakeskin, third i can't find, fourth looks like a Pigeon Blood and fifth looks like a Royal Blue. Sorry if i got them wrong, i Googled and found the closest match.

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

The discus quality isn't all that bad! But they look pretty small...so get ready for lots of WC!

Anyhow...
    1) Red Marlboro

2) Golden/white pigeon (not albino)

3) standard striated blue turquoise

4) Red leopard (hopefully, he'll color in more)

5) Royal blue

6) Red-Orange pigeon blood

Hope this helps and best of luck!

5. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

hmm, ok, since you have already been told I won't even go there. except that Kinskicks mentioned they aren't really bad.
    I really don't want someone coming on as a newbie reading that and thinking the same. I will say DAILY water changes will go along way with these guys.
    BUT, these are bad quality Discus, I am saying this for the newbie so they don't get confused.

my stab at the strains ( in the understanding that there are so many strain and sub strains with different names now a days)
    1) Red Marlboro? could be, but I don't see any striations. probably a Red Melon
    2. would really need a better pic as it looks like a pigeon, maybe some type of carnation.
    3. blue snakeskin
    4. red leopard
    5. blue turquoise
    6. checkerboard pigeon.

water changes upon water changes will help these guys a lot.
    PLEASE, do not go and buy from another source and combine with these guys, you will probably lose any new ones you put with them.

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Will respectfully say that #6 is a pigeonblood He's got the black peppering along his face and his/her tail is black; the checkerboards are "clean" :)

7. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

well, I will respectfully disagree....
    Checkerboards ARE pigeon blood.
    there are 3 types of Discus in General - Wild, Non pigeon and pigeon. with hundreds of strains amongst all that.
    when you say it is a pigeon blood, I agree with you whole heartedly. BUT what type of pigeon blood. the peppering has nothing to do with strain selection at all.
    it simple tells you it is a weaker fish, or the substrate is dark in color or the background is dark, etc. with the proper care that peppering can be completely cleared up. there are many, many ,many strains within the Pigeonblood field. checkerboards are clean for sure, but I have seen first hand checkerboards with peppering.

8. ccoulteral Initiate Member

I've been doing 50-60% wc every two days. I will increase it to daily.
    Other than that, what else can be done for the peppering?

9. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

the peppering is genetic, there's not really much you can do in the means of specifically getting rid of it; they may fade a bit when they get older, but for the most part, the peppering will remain

10. ccoulteral Initiate Member

@Disc61..you are officially my new favorite person on here!!
    I just got into all this a year ago, so still pretty new at it, and from what I've read, and what members have told me, you're the "go too" guy for discus.
    You knowledgeable with dwarf cichlids?

@Disc61.. who do you recommend as far as fish purchases?
    I just found a place called Gwynnbrook Farm They any good? Sounds very professional to me, but then I bought from somethingsphishy!!

11. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

That makes sense :) Now I'm gonna do more discus studying lol

Although @Disc61 will chime in, I find Discus Hans is really awesome (he is one of the most, if not the most, popular and has some of the consistently best/high-quality discus) as well as Uncle Sam's Discus (a personal favorite site of mine). I've gotten discus from both, and they are beautiful and good quality. Although they ship across the U.S, DiscusHans is in the East Cost and Uncle Sam is in the West

It also depends on where you live, there are many awesome breeders speckled in-between the two coasts as well if you want other options :)

12. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

If you are on the west coast, then I can recommend Kenny's Discus and Uncle Sam's discus.

Also, if you put your fish on a light substrate and background (no black or dark blue) the peppering is not as pronounced. If you feed these fish high protein foods and do daily water changes, your fish will still be nice. But, you will see the difference in quality when you buy from reputable dealers such as Hans- the difference is unmistakable and pronounced.

13. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Definelty recommend the food Hans supplies as well; from personal experience, it works really well for coloration and health (in addition to any other good foods you may supply) and even my non discus fish benefit from it. :)

14. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

with newbies and the fact they came from somethingPhishy, I would high recommend daily, I would also step the % up to 75% for at least 6 months. this will give them a fighting chance and possibly curb the disease problems often accompanied with Discus from somethingphishy.
    peppering is genetic often, although that is why we recommend finding reputable sources as peppering is minimized and often bred completely out.
    But genetics is not the sole source of the problem. all Pigeonblood Discus can pepper in certain situations. a darker substrate, background, d├ęcor , etc, can become a huge contributor to this. I might suggest lightening up your tank. a light blue background can be very effective. also, the peppering is not that bad so you may find this helps.

well thanks, many folks here can and will help. I do enjoy helping people with Discus as it is truly my passion. I am not up to date with Dwarfs, although I started
    out with African cichlids (Mbunas). beyond Discus my other passion is Seahorses.
    I have no experience with Gwynnbrook farms. I do have 3 I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND. in no specific order, Discus Hans from Baltimore, MD (met him personally a year or so ago when I picked up a breeding pair from him) is really hard to beat in Quality and service. he sells nothing but German Discus from the Stendker family in Germany. definitely top Notch. another is Kenny's Discus from Daly City, Ca - he imports Asian Discus from Malaysia from Forrest a very reputable breeder over there, Kennys service is unbelievable. and Jeff from Exotic Discus in Illinois - he also imports Asian Discus and offers a big selection as well as Kenny.
    PLEASE do not mix Asian and German Discus, stay with one source.
    I would also encourage you to NOT add any other fish to your current group. keep them separate and use them as a learning curve. then choose a reputable source for a new setup. (even in a different room) Somephishy's Discus are none to carry airborne diseases. just sayin.
    AND if it makes you feel any better, my first purchase about 17 years ago was from somethingphishy. live and learn...

no worries, I actually owned a checkerboard years ago from Kenny that had a couple specks of peppering in a very light colored tank. it happens.

I did look at their site, their stock looks impressive if they are pics of their own. (I'm sure they are) price looks reasonable. ( not sure why people say Discus are pricey, I think they are very affordable) I would be concerned about size #1 specimens only at 1.75 inches. seems a bit small to ship, but just my opinion.
    if you notice the gallery pic of Marlboro Reds you will see the striations on them I mentioned above and why I don't think your #1 pic is a Marlboro but rather a Red Melon or Rose Red, something like that. a good reference pic for that conversation.

15. ccoulteral Initiate Member

Iv 0518e8886b1dac5903fed2ac72a4678a.jpg e actually already purchased the pellets and flake on Amazon.
    They also get many diff varieties of frozen, and I rotate them, other than the brine shrimp,spiraling mix. They get that every evening.
    The others I use are daphnia, tubifex , black mosquito, and bloodworms. They get fed 3 times daily, and I hold the frozen and the flakes with my plant tweezers so I can watch them eat(shows me who's acting normal as far as eating), and also so there's not a lot of leftovers. Just enough to feed the bottom dwellers.
    So far two of the babies died, even with me dosing the tank with PraziPro. But they were the two that weren't eating correctly, or at all for that matter. The other three are doing really well so far, and are plump as .
    Good call on the background. Right now it's the one in the pic, but I do already have the light too dark blue one.
    You're the second person that told me not to mix. Can't you elaborate more?
    And I've been doing 70% wc since we chatted last. Done wonders for my discus. I also changed out all the Tubing on the filters and Reactors too black so they get zero light.
    Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The other thing I learned is not too keep Celestial pearl Danios.
    I had around 20. I'm down too 3.
    DEFF to small of a fish. I still have all of my greenfire Tetras tho, which are my favs.

16. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

As for mixing, what makes them different from each other because of their respective countries; and the problem with this is that if you mix them in the same tank, you run the risk of having diseases or illnesses spreading to the other "variety (for the lack of a better word)."

Its sorta like for humans too, if you want a better analogy; for example, when you travel to other countries, they always recommend, if not force you, to get the respective shots and treatments because natives are more likely to be resist any natural pathogens whereas you, as the foreigner, are not. Likewise, you could harbor something that the natives aren't normally exposed to and get them sick. Same thing with mixing Germans and the Asians.

Imo, tbh, its not so much mixing Germans and Asians, it's more like mixing different discus from different waters sources/conditions that creates the issue. Could even happen when you buy two different sets from two different stores

It's not like it can't be done, but the risk is higher and your QT process will be the longest and most painstaking thing of your life

17. ccoulteral Initiate Member

Also...the Red Melon is one of two that died. The other was the green scribble.

That's what I was referring too as far as mixing. I was told not too...even from the same store. Thought that was a bit odd.

That's also the problem, I have ZERO room for a quarantine tank. I like in a 750sqft one bedroom condo, and I dlready have a huge tank in the only spot i had. And if I put it on the kitchen counter I'd be sleeping alone. .
    I have a 5 gallon I use to acclimate them when they arrive, and I use the drip system.

18. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Lol, I'm in a teeny apartment too (I think 550-660sq.ft) and I literally just have all my tanks everywhere in my house and no SO to tell me no :p...my only furniture is a futon to sleep on and a small table to do my homework haha.

Anyways, have you decided where you want to get them?

19. ccoulteral Initiate Member

Well I've already tried two places I'll never use again, and a third that I've only been to once, but they were pretty knowledgeable. I got a pair of cacatuoides from them along with a wild caught Green Tefe. Plus they're local, so a lot less stress from not having to ship them.
    I think I'm going to try the wynnbrook farms and the others that Discus61 suggested. Haven't looked them up yet, but like I e been told by many, don't mix n match. So I need to find someone I trust, and that have good qualities, and stick with them instead of bouncing around to all the sellers.
    Anyone know anything about discusmadness.com?

Throw some at me

20. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Here are some reviews on Simply Discus on many of the online sites available to purchase discus. discusmadness.com is one of the vendors reviewed, as are several that have been recommended to you.
    Livestock Reviews