Discus Stocking Questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by natureandwildlife, Jun 23, 2019.

1. natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

So I have been wanting to make another aquarium. At first I was wanting to do a smaller Walstad method tank but I recently saw a beautiful Discus tank and I fell in love with them. I have a few questions about it though.

1. Could you do the Walstad method with a Discus tank?

2. I would love to keep about 5 Discus but
    I'm not sure how much room they need.

3. Do discus like long or tall tanks? Would either work?

4. How many gallons would a pair need?

5. Can Discus have sand as substrate?

6. Do Discus need a lot of filtration?

Please use adults for sizing and not juveniles.

I would also appreciate any tips and knowledge you have on them. If I do decide to have a Discus tank, it will be in the future but I want to plan everything out.
    Thank you!

2. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

1. You can do Walstad with discus, but you will need a lot of fast growing plants. Not only that, but you need to wait about 2 months before you could add discus.

2. A minimum tank size of 5 discus is a 55. Though, bigger is better.

3. They prefer long tanks. They're not like angels that grow tall.

4. If you have a breeding pair of discus, then I would recommend a 30.

5. Either or will work, but sand is more natural with discus. I've seen discus keepers use bare bottom tanks with their discus.

6. A lot filtration wouldn't hurt.

3. natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

Thank you for such a fast response! I am so excited to start planning this tank!

I would also appreciate filter recommendations from everyone.

4. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I haven't kept discus, yet, but I know the basics. :)

You can use AquaClear filters, depending on the tank size that you want to house your discus.

5. natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

I'm thinking that I want to do a 55g with 5 adults or maybe a 50g with 4 adults. If that would work. I would love to keep Cherry Shrimp with them but they probably wouldn't last long would they?

6. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I feel like they're going to predate on the shrimps, especially on shrimplets.

7. JayHValued MemberMember

I've successfully had discus spawn in 20 gallon tanks. That's pretty much bare minimum for two adults. The tanks were bare bottom and had just a simple sponge filter running when there were fry in the tank. In the grow out tanks I ran some small canister filters. I had a mix of Fluval and Eheim. This was long ago so models wouldn't be current even if I could remember them.

Discus don't do a lot of picking at the substrate unless there's obviously food there so I don't think they much care if it's sand, gravel, or just bare glass.

You might get away with adult shrimp in a discus tank if you kept all the discus very well fed, but the shrimp would likely be scared silly all the time and hiding as if their lives depended on it, which they probably would. Discus aren't exactly hunters but they enjoy a nice live meal whenever they can get it.

8. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Big thing left out here is temp. Discus need a tank at 84-88 degrees. Shrimp need colder water. Also discus do like taller tanks. Discus in smaller tanks need lots of water changes. Adults 50% weekly at the least but twice a week would be better.

9. Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

1. If you could find enough plants to group together that are able to withstand high temperatures and you add at least some sort of air stone along with DAILY water changes. I don’t see why not!

2. Each discus has the potential to grow over 6 inches meaning that 1 Discus needs at LEAST 10 gallons per fish!

3. Long or tall doesn’t matter. As long as it has the proper amount of Gallons per fish you can choose whatever your heart desires!

4. Back to question 2 if 1 discus needs 10 gallons then a pair would need MINIMUM of 20 gallons. However BIGGER is always BETTER when it comes to discus and if you intend on a “breeding pair” then more tanks will be needed!

5. Yes you can use any substrate you choose as long as you are willing to put forth the work and maintenance needed to keep the substrate clean and free of debris to ensure your fish are living in a clean environment!

6. Water quality plays a major roll in keeping discus and it is ESSENTIAL for the growth and health of your fish. However if you can keep your parameters where the need to be then whichever method of filtration you choose to use will have consequences as to how much and how often you will have to preform water changes!