Discus Stocking Issue (Owner Problem)

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My mom loves Discus, but our flat is on the small side (114 square metres for 7 people).
We both have the same 16 gallon aquarium, but she decided to buy 9 Discus.
The fish store employees have managed to convince her to get them, and I was there, so now I question why I didn't intervene.

Her tank is stocked like this:
20? Cherry Danios
20? Cardinal Tetras
6 Discus

The Discus are beautiful, but certainly not suitable for a 16 gallon. And, two Discus were put in my hands because they were horribly discolored and hurt. The two Discus were at the bottom of the pecking order and died because of infections and stress, I think.
The two Discus had a lot of wounds and showed white blotches on their fins, which I think is early fin rot.

I have offered to give her my Jungle Vallisneria, Hornwort, Ludwigia Repens x L. Arcuata hybrids as way of breaking the fishes' visions so they don't end up fighting again.
She has declined and still insist her fishes are doing fine.

Besides giving away the Discus or destroying her 'aesthetic' of open aquariums, what do I do to prevent future deaths?
She changes 100% of the water every 2 weeks and thoroughly washes the gravel and filter, so the tank water is basically just tap water.
I have told her this is just treating the Discus as decorations and not pets and is killing them, but she still doesn't budge.
Thanks for any help.

Best Answer - View Donthemon's answer

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
All the discus will die unfortunately. You need a 75 gallon tank and water changes every couple days. Bring them back to the store ASAP. Actually don’t bring them back there , anyplace that sold you six discus for a 16 gallon tank is a criminal .

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
gourameee said:
My mom loves Discus, but our flat is on the small side (114 square metres for 7 people).
We both have the same 16 gallon aquarium, but she decided to buy 9 Discus.
The fish store employees have managed to convince her to get them, and I was there, so now I question why I didn't intervene.

Her tank is stocked like this:
20? Cherry Danios
20? Cardinal Tetras
6 Discus

The Discus are beautiful, but certainly not suitable for a 16 gallon. And, two Discus were put in my hands because they were horribly discolored and hurt. The two Discus were at the bottom of the pecking order and died because of infections and stress, I think.
The two Discus had a lot of wounds and showed white blotches on their fins, which I think is early fin rot.

I have offered to give her my Jungle Vallisneria, Hornwort, Ludwigia Repens x L. Arcuata hybrids as way of breaking the fishes' visions so they don't end up fighting again.
She has declined and still insist her fishes are doing fine.

Besides giving away the Discus or destroying her 'aesthetic' of open aquariums, what do I do to prevent future deaths?
She changes 100% of the water every 2 weeks and thoroughly washes the gravel and filter, so the tank water is basically just tap water.
I have told her this is just treating the Discus as decorations and not pets and is killing them, but she still doesn't budge.
Thanks for any help.
Wow that’s pretty atrocious. Find a better local aquarium store and call and see if they can take them. There simply nothing you can do for them in such a small tank. I can’t believe a store would even sell you those fish....

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would return them immediately. discus are very delicate fish. Your tank is way way too small. and will die if you keep them in your 16g. Unfortunately her way of doing water changes will never allow the tank to establish a nitrogen cycle.

New Threads