Discus spitting food out

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by bryce1217, Dec 28, 2012.

1. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

When I feed my discus they chew the food up And it looks like they spit it back out. Is this normal? I've heard to feed them freeze dried bloodworms. Can I feed them these everyday?

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I fed mine thawed frozen blood worms and shrimp. If you feed freeze dried foods soak them first as they can cause them to bloat if fed dry all the time.
    Mine also got Omega One color flakes. Most of my foods were soaked in Garlic juice as garlic stimulates the appetite as well as the immune system.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    b

bryce1217Valued MemberMember

so i soak the freeze dried bloodworms before i put them in the tank? so it is normal for them to chew it up and spit it back out. my blue discus does seem to be eating. my red doesnt look interested in food. os there anything i can do? he doesnt go after food. if it floats his way he may eat it or nibble on it.

4. Butterfly

Yes soak them before you put them in the tank. They may have never eaten them before and aren't sure what they are. Again try soaking them in garlic juice.

carol

5. OP
    OP
    b

o.k. thanks will try. i have minced garlic that has a little juice it it. will this work?

6. Butterfly

That will work just fine as long as it's just garlic and water and no oil.
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    b

ill have to look if it has any oils or anything. i heard you shouldnt feed them bloodworms everyday. my blue one has taken an intrest in shrimp but my red one hasnt. what else should i feed them.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

9. OP
    OP
    b

are tubifex and black worms the same. im seeing a ton of tubifex worms on drfostersmith.com. im shopping from there because i have a ten dollar gift code.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice