Discus Sick? Need Help :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Joseph Dones, Apr 11, 2018.

1. J

Joseph Dones New Member Member

Hello Fish Lore Folks,

I am new to this site and seek help from those of you who can. A couple week ago one of my discus turned a dark color and stopped growing, it eats swims with the rest of my discus. It occasionally hides on its own and does something weird with its gill from the looks of it seems like its pushing water of them very intensely. I'm not sure if Fish Lore has a disease question that I can fill out.

Parameters:
    ph: 6.8
    Nitrate: 15
    Nitrite: 0
    Ammonia: Ideal [Safe] Stress Harmful Danger

I used Kordon Rid Ich for a week ( I was told it can help with bacterial diseases)
    I used Aquarium Salt for a couple of days
    I tried Garlic in their food
    Nothing seems to be helping, Am I missing something. Any input will help me tremendously. Thank you for you time in reading this!

2. Initiate

Initiate Well Known Member Member

Photos?

3. OP
    OP
    J

I'm sorry I don't know how I forgot

Attached Files:

4. Initiate

Initiate Well Known Member Member

What type of discus is it supposed to be?

5. Carbeo

Carbeo Well Known Member Member

Try looking up medication and medicated food for Discus with bacterial and parasitic infections. There looks like a lot of wasting and stress on that fish. It's not uncommon but the method of treatment is probably a large topic amongst Discus enthusiasts.

6. OP
    OP
    J

Its a blue snakeskin Discus, its supposed to look like the blue one in the second picture, I bought them at the same time with the same pattern. I did buy this bacterial tree oil thing that is supposed to be for internal and external bacterial disease it had no effect. I ended up purchasing Prazi Pro and waiting on its arrival since my lfs doesn't keep it in stock. What does Wasting mean on a fish?

7. Carbeo

Yea those herbal treatments arnt terribly effective, but I guess its good to try a mild approach first. By wasting I was just describing the weight loss and caving-in shape of the head. It can be hard to tell what is going on inside. Use the prazi pro. Metronidazole, for example, is a antibiotic you may want to look into for after that. If I recall correctly, prazipro is praziquantel which is mixed with metrodiazole in the medication General Cure that kills parasites and clears the secondary infections they cause. That's how my local fish guy treats his new discus stock. Something like 3 weeks of it.

8. Carbeo

You don't see and little red worms at its vent do you? Any white string poo?

9. OP
    OP
    J

The last time I saw its poop it wasn't white it was just long and dark, I don't really handle my discus but from just looking I don't see worms but the gills are a little reddish. Someone did say that my fish look skinny, I feed them three times a day either 1 cube of blood worms/brine shrimp/beef heart or three pinches of flakes is that not enough? If it is then would my other fish have worms too? Its worrying to hear other people see them as skinny because when I do feed them they eat a lot.

10. Carbeo

Yes the feeding sounds like plenty. The red worms would be unlikely, just checking. If one had more stress in shipping or a weaker immune system it could be sick when others arnt yet. It sounds like your treatment will be in the main tank anyway.

11. OP
    OP
    J

Hello Everyone, today marks day four of the prazipro treatment and there seems to be no results

I did however notice that the bottom of my tank has a lot of little white dots is this Columnaris?

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice