Discus Setup

CrisisQuaid
TexasDomer

TexasDomer
Can you include some info on your tank setup and plans?

CrisisQuaid
Can you include some info on your tank setup and plans?
I’ve got a 75 gallon tank with a Quietflow 50/75 filter, says it can handle up to 80 gallons. My plan right now is a pigeon blood discus with a snakeskin blue discus. Then a lesser spiny eel, aquadvisor said they should work well together as long as I can get the eel to eat. Besides that I was thinking about an elephant nose. My tank has Caribsea Cichlid mix sand, and I’m building my own decor. Don’t get mad at me as I am apparently cycling my tank with a Flowerhorn. Wasn’t planning on it, but I impulse purchased again.

fa4960
2 discus alone or with other fish are unlikely to thrive. It is a shoaling fish and minimum should really be 5 - 6 of similar size to minimise any internal bullying in general and especially at eating time. A rule of thumb says 10 Gal per grown discus so with 75 Gal tank there won't be much room left for other fish if you want your discus to have the best possible setting.

CrisisQuaid
2 discus alone or with other fish are unlikely to thrive. It is a shoaling fish and minimum should really be 5 - 6 of similar size to minimise any internal bullying in general and especially at eating time. A rule of thumb says 10 Gal per grown discus so with 75 Gal tank there won't be much room left for other fish if you want your discus to have the best possible setting.
I know it sounds messed up, but I’m not exactly looking for them to thrive. I don’t have hundreds of dollars lying around, not to mention I’ve had plenty of success with fish that are supposed to be kept in higher numbers.

I’ll keep my eye out for any bullying, if it seems to be a problem I’ll get more

fa4960
I know it sounds messed up, but I’m not exactly looking for them to thrive. I don’t have hundreds of dollars lying around, not to mention I’ve had plenty of success with fish that are supposed to be kept in higher numbers.

Why not just get some other fish that would actually thrive and show their best color and behaviour? Then come back to discus when you have the setup and money required?

Mike1995

have yo agree with the above. It may be wise to have other fish for now. Discus are expensive and would be unwise to have a setup that doesn't allow them to thrive.

TexasDomer
You should want fish to thrive - if you don't, you're doing it wrong and you shouldn't keep them.

If you can't keep a properly provide for them at this point in time, don't get them. They are not a cheap fish.

If you do get discus, don't go with a substrate that will increase the pH - tank bred discus can adapt, but it's unnecessary.

Elephant noses should be in groups in huge tanks, so leave them out.

The spiny eel can't handle the really warm temps the discus requires. Leave them out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bgbdwlf2500
  • Question
Replies
Views
DB87
Replies
Views
biller
  • Question