Discus Schools/Color Varieties

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so from what I see here these guys will school together even if they are all diferent colors and patterns? I was thinking if I did 6 in my 55 gallon I would have to get 3 pairs but it seems like I could actually get 6 all diferent is this correct? and I appolgize up front if this question does not belong here I was commenting on the pictures but that question came up based on what I saw sorry if I am in the wrong here.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Fish Monster,

I've moved your post from the Discus photo thread to create a thread of your own. This will help to keep that photo thread free of conversation and help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!
Ken

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thak you, no problem, I am actually glad you did this for me, I suppose its all about learning the ropes, as you can see I was not sure as to were I shuld be asking a question like this as it was the pictures that made me think of it, thanks again for ponting me in the right direction.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus colors are basically like human colors. All the same species just different colors so they can live, swim, and breed together. Schooling is a defense mechinism in all fish. The more threatened they feel the tighter the school. Discus are not a typical "schooling" fish....but they do prefer groups of their own species.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don’t stress Fish Monster my posts still get moved around im just so bad with comps I must be the only 16 year old who hates computers. Slugs post hit the nail on the head.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So then I am ok with getting diferent color strains and they will still enjoy each others company? thats good to know because I really did not want to keep all of the same color. I have a 55 gallon and I wanted to have a total of 5 - 6 but I wanted some variety in terms of the colors and patterns, and maybe throw some rummy nose tetras in there you think that be ok? like you know a half a dozen Rummy nose to act as dither fish for my discus?

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don’t stress Fish Monster my posts still get moved around im just so bad with comps I must be the only 16 year old who hates computers. Slugs post hit the nail on the head.
Thanks man I feel so dumb when they get moved around or some one says hey that question dose not belong in here or something like that, I am 32 years old with a wife and three little girls and when I am in here I feel like a child having to be told and corrected all the time I hope I get better at this soon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom