Discus poop clearish and not eating

Dmanny8

Bought this Discus around a month now, the rest of them eat good and are not shy, this one hides sometimes, doesn't eat but is interested in food, and is pooping clear. I think its parasites, but I don't know how to treat it. Please give me advice, Thanks.

Attachments

• 20221002_175707.jpg
    20221002_175707.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 14

Itiwhetu

Discus can have mood changes, so don't panic. Can you post a photo of the whole tank? How many Discus do you have?.

86 ssinit

As stated discus have mood swings. Especially when first added. Next they can go for months without eating. Where did you get them from? Ok all discus have a parasites known as flagellates in them. Most times they never bother them but when stressed these parasite populations can grow. Metronidazol (metro) is used to fight it. Now is your discus an albino? If so it’s eyesight may be bad and you may have to hand feed it. What foods are you feeding? What size tank are the in and how many do you have? Are these your first discus.

Dmanny8

I have 4 discus in total in a 40 gallon, this one used to have yellow color but recently he lost some color, he is active but I think his eyesight is bad because he trys to peck at the food but misses. I feed frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms. These are my first discus, thanks.

Attachments

• 20220927_211420.jpg
    20220927_211420.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 18

LizStreithorst

It looks like hex. Raise the temp to at least 90. 92 if your heater will go that high. Leave it at that temp until the poop goes back to normal. Hex cannot survive at those high temps. At the same time you can also add 500 mg of metronidazole per 10 gallons of water for 12 days. Metro is available from Jehmco. The treatments work best in a bare bottom tank.

86 ssinit

Ok I’m with Liz and the high heat is the best start. This will clean out all the discus if it is hex. Next try hand feeding. Try freeze dried tubifex worms. What your feeding most discus keeper feed as snacks. You need a better diet. You need to get them eating granules. Sera makes them as does ocean nutrition. Tetra color granules are good to. Freeze dried black worms are also good but expensive. You need to change water. They look to be about 3-4” discus so they are still grow and clean water is the key. Daily water changes of 50% would be great.
The reason the yellow has faded is probably because it is an albino that was being fed food to turn it yellow. Most yellows turn orange that’s why I think ours is an albino. I have an albino and I hand feed because it’s eyesight is terrible.
3DA7A462-F4A1-4F5C-9265-4379921AFD5F.jpegwhere did you get your discus and how big are they?

Dmanny8

They are around 3-4 inches and I got them from a local fish store, I do water changes once a week, I also feed the vibra bites. il turn the heat up to 90 and il try hand feeding the albino. Thanks

LizStreithorst

And change more water. Mine get 30% daily. Discus have their own rules. They are high maintenance fish.

Dmanny8

Anyone have any tips on hand feeding discus, I tried and I spooked him and the rest of the fish?

Itiwhetu

Anyone have any tips on hand feeding discus, I tried and I spooked him and the rest of the fish?
Spend as much time as physically possible in front of the tank. My guys see me going to the freezer and follow me down the tank, they know I will feed them,

20220824_163952.jpg

Dmanny8

My local fish store gave me paracleanse and they said to mix a little in bloodworms for a week. I just mixed it with bloodworms and the albino ate like 8 worms. Hopefully the parasites die off.

johndiscuskeeper

You need to medicate it in Metronidizole.
You could mix it with food.
If fish just not eating, add garlic juice into the food..

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DizzyFish77
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Vichu
Replies
Views
Disc61
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

If you are doing a Fishless cycle with TSS+ or a similar bacterial additive, you might want to read CindiL's thread:
Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom