Discus planning

Fishwood

Planning on starting a discus tank.im going with a 60 gallon aquarium. Also want to go planted route.
I heard people using playground sand for substrate ,is this a good option? Basically I need a checklist
Tank brand
Substrate
Root tab or no
LED light
Filter
Getting the fish here in Florida be easy.have great fish farms here.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated and needed lol
Thanks pro fishkeepers

Pfrozen

A typical planted setup is fine here but I wouldn't plant too densely. A lot of discus keepers like Vals. Play sand is a good option. The important thing is keeping up with water changes... 50% every day when they're small and 50% every 2 days afterwards is the standard I believe. Make sure you're ready for the commitment. I know that I personally don't have time for discus even though I've always wanted them

Upvote 0

Fishwood

Good to know thanks
Will soak up all knowledge I can before deciding

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Good to know thanks
Will soak up all knowledge I can before deciding

If you’re new to fish keeping, I’d definitely suggest getting your feet wet before attempting Discus.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Agree, Discus are not a "Beginner" fish. Definitely, do your research. Most keepers prefer bare bottom tanks and we have some members here that keep them in planted tanks.
About 2 years ago a bunch of us starting keeping "Discus" and a thread was started. We shared our "Trials and Tribulations".
Take a look
Discus Gang Updates | Discus Fish Forum | 420110

It's a long read but a ton of info,

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Fishwood

Thanks will do

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Welcome to fishlore! Lots to know about discus to be able to keep them. Lots to know about plants too. Plants in themselves are not easy to keep and grow successfully. So if your not allready a plant keeper I would avoid plants. Discus will take a lot of time. They demand clean water. The bigger more expensive ones can go with less water changes (twice a week at 50%) but the smaller juveniles need daily water changes for at least the first 6 months.
As a beginner it can be done if your dedicated. Bare bottom tank with good filtration. A tidal 110 hob will work with a odyssea 250. You want 2 sources of filtration. In case one shuts off. A heater that can bring your water to 90* will be needed. The temp should be set at 84*. An ink-bird temp controller is recomended.
Here a pic of my 50g with 4 discus I’m growing out.
FFD825D1-5D76-4730-9EAB-C694A08050E4.jpeg
57655D13-EA8E-4C80-8962-D7871A638D15.jpegnotice bare bottom with some plants in planters. This tanks water gets changed daily at around 60-70%.

Upvote 0

Fishwood

Wow so much to learn
Your fish are absolutely stunning
I'm still pondering, haven't bought any equipment yet. Maybe I'll go back to angelfish I've bred them years ago.
Thanks for the input

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Not trying to scare you away just want you to know what your getting into. In the long run discus are a better looking fish than angels and not as aggressive as angels. Both should not be kept together though. The first year of discus keeping is the hardest. As they grow they do get easier!

Upvote 0

Fishwood

I'm not in any rush so I'll keep pulling in the knowledge. Not scared I know your giving good advice. Can i ask your recommendation on an actual tank.brand or where to purchase.
Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Tank will be what you want. They can be done in your 60. You could do 6. Of course bigger is better. An acrylic is a great choice but expensive. Used can be found for half the price. Glass tanks are tough. Many bad reviews. Sorry I have no recommendations for glass. Clear for life acrylics have been good for me. Most acrylics are good. Though some of the custom ones have had problems. Few and far between.

Upvote 0

Fishwood

At least I'm on the right track. I've been looking at the clear for life 60 gallon model
48x15x18
Thanks

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

48” is a good size. Check Facebook marketplace for deal on tanks.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dkapp
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Toothy