Discus Parents

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Pidge, Dec 12, 2012.

1. PidgeNew MemberMember

My discus fish have layed eggs for the fist time. Very inexperienced they chose the filter as a breeding spot but Im sure they will learn over time.
    The problem is one of the discus parents is larger than the other and is very dominant, over six hours the smaller discus has been pecked a lot and now has damage to a small area on its head, but still wont give in and move away. The larger discus is also eating the eggs so i think the smaller one is trying to get in there and help.

Just wondering is it better to leave them to get on with it? Its a community tank but as its my first time I dont want to remove the eggs or fuss about seperating discus (from experience this doesnt always work). many thanks.

2. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Pidge, welcome to Fishlore :;hi1 do you plan on trying to raise the eggs if they become Wigglers? if so, i would move the pair to a seperate tank so they can do things properly. Also, if you plan on raising then you should read up on breeding as the water conditions become much more important in this situation and a softer water conditions are more important.
    if you do not plan on raising i would just remove the eggs when you see them ( as i am sure you will see a few more batches in weeks to come). once removed, all involved will simmer down and get back to normal. agression during this time is part of the cichlid world.
    understand that just because you see eggs, does not mean you have a confirmed pair. many times you will have 2 females and both throwing eggs. ( if you see another batch of eggs in a couple days good chance they are both females) the only true way for confirmation of a true pair is to see the eggs turn into what is called "wigglers".
    good luck, hope this help out.

3. OP
    OP
    P

PidgeNew MemberMember

Thanks for the advice. They have calmed down now so hopefully they will get on again. I do have a smaller tank but its not set up, so maybe in the future i could have a breeding tank but not now. A couple of the eggs turned white and have been removed by the fish but I wasn't really expecting baby fish anyway.
    One of the parents is still a bit darker though, was that because it was preparing for eggs to hatch?

4. Disc61

Stress more than likely, if you do not plan on raising them i would remove all the egss, it will help eliminate the aggression and Stress. Stress is not good for any fish but Discus even more so, they are very sensitive and a stress free Discus is in better condition to fight off parasites which exist in any tank.

5. OP
    OP
    P

PidgeNew MemberMember

Yes, I have done and they seems happier now they've been fed. Thanks for your help.

6. Disc61

not a problem, would love to see pictures of your Discus. ahhh, who am i kidding, we just love to see any pics.

7. OP
    OP
    P

PidgeNew MemberMember

indeed. Theres some from last year uploaded to an album but will take more when I have the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice