discus or saltwater FOWLR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melovefish, Dec 20, 2012.

1. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

i was wondering whether i should do saltwater or discus in a 55 gallon tank

2. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

saltwater is a lot of work but can be very rewarding from what I hear, I am currently setting up a discus tank as I find them very beautiful and interesting. Discus need very regular water changes and constant water quality and conditions. I have not done salt water before but it looks interesting, which are you leaning towards?

3. OP
    OP
    m

im leaning towards saltwater, i know how much work both are but its not a problem.

4. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

You would think my immediate response would be Discus:) but, i am research to begin my first Fowlr tank so i am on the fence. I do love the Discus though.

5. OP
    OP
    m

6. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

I have the same debate going on in my head on what to do with my 75 gallon just sitting in my basement. I know I could get a discus tank going a lot quicker just because of the additional cost of SW but...everything i really want to keep is SW.

7. Disc61

Thanks Melovefish, i will check it out

??? hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

8. OP
    OP
    m

me to ive been changing my mind from fw to sw back and forth every day i changed my mind and i mean every day no lie i went from discus to africian to sw its giving ME A HEADACHE

9. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Some saltwater tanks really can look so wild and natural, if you have the time and money why not go for it? if not now then when? we only live once!

10. OP
    OP
    m

Money is key in sw

11. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Here's my Reef: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/saltwater-fish-tank-photos/118005-here-tis-my-reef.html
    And my member spotlight goes through some of my maintenance and details the setups of both my FW and Reef https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may12/member-spotlight-ryanr.htm

Here's my 2c on the FW vs SW dilemna: SW is a constantly evolving, constantly changing environment. Rarely are two days the same. SW offers a variety of colour, different shapes of live stock, different stocking options and is a full eco-system.
    FW is more peaceful in a sense, beautiful greenery (if you plant), less activity but more tranquil.

Both setups are captivating, and you can sit and watch/stare/gaze for hours.

Maintenance, is no different really, except for daily top-offs of RO/DI and skimmer cup emptying.
    However, SW requires a bit of planning for water changes, particularly if you're using Artificial Sea Water. My weekends go something like:
    Saturday morning, start the RO/DI production. Saturday evening, add salt-mix and start mixing. Sunday evening, water change.
    For my FW it's, Sunday morning fill the buckets with tap water, toss in the heaters, and add some prime, ready for a Sunday evening PWC.

Not really, but it helps :giggle:
    Buying quality equipment is the first step, and then you just need a small budget for your salt mix and food.

FWIW - Discus scare the whosamewhatsits out of me :;laughing

12. Disc61

Really?? you keep a reef. that scares the whosamewhatsits out of me :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice