discus nd Black Ghost Knife

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In an aqua one store close me they have a large tank with like 15 discus and around 20 small Black Ghost Knife I think this looked awesome together should I try this or do u think it’s a silly mistake?? Iv been there b4 and they do seem to know a bit about the fish they have and they also helped with my discus. Who do u all think??

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it's a silly mistake. Pet store tank stocks aren't usuallymeant to be copied.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When you asked them if it is okay to keep discus and BGKs together at home, what did they say?

And I agree with Jaysee, the way they keep fish at the pet store is temporary, and shouldn't be what we mimick in our aquariums.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its a toss up. Most stories i've heard involve failure in the combo. Problems come when the discus are "sleeping", the ghost knife is swimming a lot around the tank. Can really freak the discus out to the point of major stress. The ghost knife will also pick off and eat smaller fish in the tank at night.

I'd pass this one by personally.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the people at the store said that is a tryal they also said that is going well and they had had no problems so far but if the problem occures at night then i will need to think about it more becauce my blue rams scair my discus at night so i am getting rid of them. but bgk do like tohide in caves if i was to simulate a well planted cave at one end of my tank do u think that would help. sorry 4 bad spelling

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Black Ghost Knives are nocturnal. So them scaring Discus at night is not a lack of hiding spots issue, its just when the fish are active. Another thing to consider is you need a HUGE tank for a black ghost knife. they get to be 2 feet in length. Your 250L is not large enough for an adult BGK.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
+1

BGKs are a bit like cories, they look nice and cute (cool) at the pet store, but grow pretty big. A normal bronze corydoras hits 3 inches or more, likewise, that eerily undulating knife fish hits about 20 inches in a large enough tank.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Elodea said:
+1

BGKs are a bit like cories, they look nice and cute (cool) at the pet store, but grow pretty big. A normal bronze corydoras hits 3 inches or more, likewise, that eerily undulating knife fish hits about 20 inches in a large enough tank.
IMO cories are a fairly small fish... they can be kept easily in a 20 gallon. Emerald Cories are another story. they aren't even really corydoras.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well taken all this into account I'm thinking no but if annyone knows a sicsess storry of this please do tell i will c how the shop goes.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
joshua 74 said:
well taken all this into account I'm thinking no but if annyone knows a sicsess storry of this please do tell i will c how the shop goes.
Sorry, but as I said it's not something to considder. The fact that they have like 20 BGK in the tank is evidence enough. They can say what they want about whether or not it's "working", but it's still SHORT TERM. BGK aren't a schooling fish and generally do not like each other.

Remember, your goals for your tanks and the store's goals for their tanks (and yours) are rarely one and the same.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok thanks

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went to a all aquarium store and they had a BGK in with some discus too, the BGK was 2 feet long, but it wasn't for sale. It was in the tank with 10 smallish discus. The guy at the pet store said they had no problems with the fish at all but it might just depend on the temperment of the BGK

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads