Discus In 60 Gallon Tank

Azza

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m reasonably new to the aquarium hobby and don’t trust my own instincts. I’m going to buy a new tank that’s 60 gallons and was wondering how many discus I could have in it if that was the type of fish in it apart from a 6cm Pleco that’ll grow to 15cm

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think a 75 would be better, but just to make sure, you know discus are one of the hardest fish to keep, right? It also says you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is, so I would start of easier and then when you are ready in a year then buy a 75 and you can get discus. Use the tank for like a cichlid tank or something.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would depend more on the actual dimension of the tank vs total gallons. As far as discus being appropriate for you thats up to you but please research, they aren't the easiest fish to keep.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Discus are absolutely stunning fish, but you should wait and learn about the hobby, I plan on doing the same.. Discus and hopefully a Flowerhorn at some point if I become exceptionally great at the hobby. But discus are gorgeous

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, Id recommend you DON'T do discus to start. They are one of the tougher fish to keep and starting out with them probably wont be a good way to learn.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This tank is also a little short to keep a group of discus - a 120 cm is the shortest (in length) that I'd recommend. Can you upgrade your tank size?

Discus require a lot of time and care. The juveniles that you usually see in the store will require multiple feedings per day and daily water changes of ideally 60-90%. Not doing these things will result in stunted/sick discus. Is this something you can commit to?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom