Discus - Hope you like them

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are gorgeous! I love discus, but have never kept them.

AndreDecasa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice!

I didn't own any discus yet. I still don't have the courage to fully commit to the freshwater's most complicated and expensive fish.

Disc61

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HGunn said:
Nice!

I didn't own any discus yet. I still don't have the courage to fully commit to the freshwater's most complicated and expensive fish.
Expensive I will definitely agree with. Lol
Complicated?? not so much
a little bit more time consuming? yes
but really if you are willing to put in the extra time they are rather EASY to take care of. jmo

AndreDecasa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Disc61 said:
Expensive I will definitely agree with. Lol
Complicated?? not so much
a little bit more time consuming? yes
but really if you are willing to put in the extra time they are rather EASY to take care of. jmo
Oh really? *feeling interested* *looks at the 60 gallon* hehehe

Disc61

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HGunn said:
Oh really? *feeling interested* *looks at the 60 gallon* hehehe
60 gl is a great size for 6 Discus.
a lot depends on size and source.
if you start out with Juvies - anything from 2.5 - 4.5 inches, then frequent water changes and lots of small feedings.
when I say frequent I do that size everyday and feed 4-6 times a day. I would recommend at least every other day water changes.
this is usually for a period of at least 9 months to a year or so give or take. under the right conditions Discus should reach 6 inches within a years time.
not always the case and certainly not a hard fast rule.

if you can pay for the more expensive Adults then it is a whole lot less work. my Adults get one weekly water change of 60-75% and only 2-3 feedings a day.

my juvies I keep the bare minimum, no substrate and the simpliest of filtration. 2 sponge filters, that's it along with a couple heaters.

my Adults have sand, driftwood and even plants in one tank. just sayin, not hard at all, just time consuming.

and probably what I consider the most important part of keeping Discus is where you get them from. most ( I say most) LFS do not have good quality Discus. good quality from a recognized importer/breeder is the key.

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Disc61 100%. I went with cheap discus because I was nervous about the care requirements.

I wish I could go back. They really aren't complicated. Don't go with lfs or unknown stock.

Keep the water clean and changed frequently and feed quality food.

noslen1003

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you also need to be in an area where the water quality fits the discus care - like in my case in Central New Jersey.
except for Prime after every water change - nothing else to do. Water coming out straight from tap.
90-gallon tank / sponge filter/ aerator/ Fluval fx5.
almost 4-years now and still alive.
my enthusiasm not that much though . . .

nitingdedao

Valued Member
Reaction score
noslen1003 said:
you also need to be in an area where the water quality fits the discus care - like in my case in Central New Jersey.
except for Prime after every water change - nothing else to do. Water coming out straight from tap.
90-gallon tank / sponge filter/ aerator/ Fluval fx5.
almost 4-years now and still alive.
my enthusiasm not that much though . . .
Its easy to keep a discus alive. To keep them to optimal shape and size requires a little more efforts.

trace5762

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree very expecsive but they aren't that hard to keep. Clean the bottom, 50% water change weekly. They are the most beautiful fish the are worth the money.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom