Discus growing rates?

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Atavar, Mar 18, 2010.

1. A

Atavar Valued Member Member

About a month or so ago I got four new Discus, all juveniles about 2.5" .. three of them are now about 3" or 3.25" .. the one striped one is more than 5"..

Is it normal for the fishes to grow at such different rates in the same tank? You almost have to look close to see the little fish below the larger one. Sorry about the photo quality, but the cell phone was all I had available..

[​IMG]

The bigger guy by himself..
    [​IMG]

2. joshua 74

joshua 74 Valued Member Member

wow they really are different is one more stressed or he being piked on by the others.

3. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

IMO, it really depends on how much food they each eat and how often they swim around the tank. Some of them may eat a lot but swim less or swim at an average rate, so they may grow faster than the others. Hope my info helped. Cute looking Discus you have. Best of luck! :;hf

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Growth rates depend on many things. Like Devon mentioned diet & activity make a large difference as does genetics.

So long as they are all healthy I wouldn't get too concerned about it.

5. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

There's been talk about some larger discus giving off hormones that keep the growth rate of smaller fish down. Not sure if there is any truth to that but it's out there. A lot of things factor into growth. Water temp, water quality, genes, food quality, food amount, etc.

6. dvc_r

dvc_r Valued Member Member

I've heard that too, but I think something else is going on.
    -but if they're in the same tank with the same water perimeters and same food, then again there must be something else happening.
    Were they purchased at the same place, do you know if they came from the same parents? I'm also going to assume that they have found there pecking order, if so I'm also going to assume the "runt" is on the bottom of the totem pole. If that's the case, is there enough food left after the others finish having there share?

7. OP
    OP
    A

If anything I am afraid I am overfeeding.. I am purposefully feeding flake then bloodworms 5 mins later in the hopes that the aggressive fishes will fill up on flakes and the little guys will get a better share of worms..

I think I may get some cheap discus to act as decoys and let these nice guys get more food.

8. joshua 74

joshua 74 Valued Member Member

u could divide them in the tank that way you can monitor there eating.

9. d

dee34 Valued Member Member

the little guy could weell be at the bottom of the pole , i would spend a bit of time watching what is going on in the tank to see if there is constint bullying with the little guy . if there is a lot of bullying going on maybe u could re-arrange the decor and see if that helps but if all seems fine in the tank it might well be the amount of food he is getting because of his size !

10. OP
    OP
    A

I think the answer may be to set up a 29g hospital tank and let the little ones live in there for a while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice