Discus Gang Updates

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Even though the rams pay no attention to the Discus i would remove them, the discus would be stressed with the rams in there. Try it and see if they still eat the eggs then...
Sounds like they have good growth for their age of 9 months, you must be feeding them good :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In Munich:). Going to try to get to some pet stores.
81471FE1-4485-44E0-99DD-B9D4CE34C2A7.jpeg
:D:D:D
D42BCA58-A221-462A-81B7-7D8C9DAE2F21.jpeg
59CF1394-1C82-4916-B979-DE9659DB44DA.jpeg
AD66C699-2A18-4166-8FB9-D2E24ED6B4C6.jpeg
Yeah there’s a lot of beer to be drunk:eek::eek:. Chaperone at my sons bachelor party:D

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hope you are having a great time in Germany 86 !
Even though the rams pay no attention to the Discus i would remove them, the discus would be stressed with the rams in there. Try it and see if they still eat the eggs then...
Sounds like they have good growth for their age of 9 months, you must be feeding them good :)
Well ,I have not removed the rams and the discus have laid eggs again ! On day 2 or 3 and they may become wigglers tomorrow ?
Best I can do is shut off the AC110&70 and leave the sponges going and see if this changes outcome ?
Possibly the golds can go tomorrow just a matter of where ?? Too many fish ….:confused:
I kind of think the rams help the pair bond as they [the rams] seem to not want to leave one corner till the disc come their way !
Sometimes pairs bicker and fight amongst themselves without a nemesis / rival so the pair serves a purpose IMO.
The rams being scared enough to stay in corner [of a 65g tank] suites me fine as with other GBR these two are holy terrors..
The eggs were laid on the pot in the usual spot this time so taking them is not an option..

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congrats! Yes shut off the filters and leave sponges going maybe. I still recommend removing the rams, even if its just temporary to see if that could be the difference. I think there is no harm in trying it, as the discus pair are young and new to babies they need all the help they can get, and having tank mates might look fine to us but nature is telling those discus to protect the eggs from threats, and other fish (the rams) are a threat... Anyway, up to you, i hope this time they are successful!

Just an update on Ranga, the Orange PB discus. She is now swimming with the group more and more instead of hiding alone with her boyfriend Little blue, in the last 2 days i have actually seen her eating for the first time since i brought her on July 30th! She looked really bad for a long time, i honestly thought she would eventually die one day. But with a lot of patience and persistence she now has color back, her fins are some what up and she looks happier. I just took this video of her being happy in the tank, i honestly dont know how she survived the past months in the condition she was in. But i guess she has found her will to live after all :)

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got the round fish in this video.
You can maybe see the few wigglers or whatever they are called still on the pot ..
I will be working a separating the disc and gold rams..They seem determined to spawn so I could maybe help a little more ?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So the blue snakeskins have laid eggs on the heater this time !
The golds are still in with them and another busy weekend is ahead [Aquatic Experience] ..
Do you think these two are trying to tell me something ..They seem to know how often I need to be prodded to keep my attention ?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
New layout will take a little to get used to ? It just changed yesterday !
That was only one tank ! I have 60+....

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, gang, I missed a bunch of posts and then the site was locked, so I’m going to try to catch up!!

Welcome @RollaPear ! Your Discus are beautiful!

So relieved your tanks are now cycled @DecoyCat, and Ranga has gotten better!! They’re all looking great!! How big are the Angel babies, now?

Wow, @86 ssinit, you got to Germany for Ocktober fest With your son! Fantastic! Hope youwent to the pet shops *before* beer-with-the-boys, or you might have trouble getting through customs!:greedy:

I am so jealous of your fish room @coralbandit!! I love the Albino Swordtails, and your Discus look great! Sorry you lost the first batch of wigglers, but your pair just aren’t going to give up, so sooner or later you’ll be showing us a video of a bunch of little Discus hanging onto mom and dad! I don’t know how you find the time and energy to keep up with your 60+ tanks - and they aren’t just little 10g’s! :emoji_scream:
I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone!! I was sitting on my couch last night planning how I’m going to remove the fake brick veneer and sheetrock that’s behind the wood stove, and replace it with backer board and the ledger stone I was given, and I looked over towards the wood stove (which is about 3 1/2 feet from the Turqs’ tank in the corner....and what to my wondering eyes did I see?! Check out the grainy video I was able to get (didn’t want to disturb them, so I tried zooming in as much as my phone would allow)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well the new format will take some getting used to!! Was that emoji suppose to be that big?
Great video coral. Think I am interested in some gold rams :).
Babara I think I’m getting jealous now :). But I really don’t want mating!
DecoyCat glad to see Ranga found her way back :).
As to Germany. It was a blast!! Never drank so much in my life. What a great crowd inside the festival! Outside it was so so. All siteseeing was blown off for drinking :). Fri I decided to check out some pet stores but was denied because everything around us was closed for the weekend :(. Did find one shop but it was like there version of Petsmart. Tanks in much better condition and some nice fish. But no discus.
All fish doing good. No mating :). 2 new guys still look good. Red is beautiful and eats everything I put in but green still is not eating :(. It a big fish but not sure what’s going to happen with it. Called uncle sams for some feeding info but they still haven’t gotten back to me :(. Time I’ll tell. Also they are very skittish. Think I need some dither fish with them.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks @BarbaraLocke

I ran into a HITH scare recently I'd appreciate it if you took a look in my build/journal. Thanks
I answered on your 120 Build thread @RollaPear, but I‘m also going to post the link to the article here, so others can read it Hole in the Head (HITH) and Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) in Aquarium Fish. So glad you aren’t dealing with either!

Well the new format will take some getting used to!! Was that emoji suppose to be that big?
Great video coral. Think I am interested in some gold rams :).
Babara I think I’m getting jealous now :). But I really don’t want mating!
DecoyCat glad to see Ranga found her way back :).
As to Germany. It was a blast!! Never drank so much in my life. What a great crowd inside the festival! Outside it was so so. All siteseeing was blown off for drinking :). Fri I decided to check out some pet stores but was denied because everything around us was closed for the weekend :(. Did find one shop but it was like there version of Petsmart. Tanks in much better condition and some nice fish. But no discus.
All fish doing good. No mating :). 2 new guys still look good. Red is beautiful and eats everything I put in but green still is not eating :(. It a big fish but not sure what’s going to happen with it. Called uncle sams for some feeding info but they still haven’t gotten back to me :(. Time I’ll tell. Also they are very skittish. Think I need some dither fish with them.
Lol! I think the site builder needs to check their html, as all the emojis on that menu post waaay to big (although I *am* really impressed with @coralbandit ’s fish)!! Glad you had a great time (drinking) in Munich, and we’re able to find your way back to the plane home :)

I had given up on the Turqs being a pair, but maybe I was wrong? I didn’t find any eggs on the intake tube this morning, but they could be in the back where I can’t get. After following @jmaldo and @coralbandit ’s experiences with their pairs, I figure mine are just starting to get the idea - or they were just trying to show me that I didn’t clean all the snails off the tube earlier in the day

been watching one of my Golden’s for the past few days, as it seems to be less energetic, and spends a lot of time sitting in one place looking down. Trying to decide whether to do another round of Metro...

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey gang. Need some advice. The 2 new discus have become way to skittish. Any ideas how to calm them down. They’re in the tank alone so maybe some dither fish. But I don’t have anything to add would have to buy. So if I buy do I just add them because qt-ing them would take a month and that’s not going to help :(. Is there something to add to the water? Stress guard, ludes :). Any ideas? I can’t move near them or they bang around like pool balls after a hard break. Lowered the lights but still jumpy. Checked water and everything is good. Started yesterday. Thanks.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey gang. Need some advice. The 2 new discus have become way to skittish. Any ideas how to calm them down. They’re in the tank alone so maybe some dither fish. But I don’t have anything to add would have to buy. So if I buy do I just add them because qt-ing them would take a month and that’s not going to help :(. Is there something to add to the water? Stress guard, ludes :). Any ideas? I can’t move near them or they bang around like pool balls after a hard break. Lowered the lights but still jumpy. Checked water and everything is good. Started yesterday. Thanks.
Boy, I’m not sure what the best dither fish would be that might calm them down, because the new ones would be a little skittish at first, too! Maybe a small school of common Hatchets? They have been mentioned before as good dither fish for Discus, and they’re carnivores, so they’d eat the same thing as your Discus. What’s the temp in the tank? If, according to Hans, raising the temp makes them more active and hungry, maybe lowering the temp will make them slow down? Wish I knew the answer! You sure you don’t have an electrical short? This sounds like the ‘dashing Discus’ thing, too.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would not recommend Hatchets, they are jumpers. Started with12 down to 5. My son found another last night about 2 feet away from the tank. There was an opening only about 3/16", it found a way. I am going to have to re-think the dithers. I know Cardinals, but just not to my liking.

On another note,
This one is for you @BarbaraLocke
My pair are still trying to get it right, this is the 8-9 time.
Have another spawn, she gave up on using the driftwood and decided to use the Qanvee filter. And I noticed they are both more attentive this time, taking turns fanning them. Not ready to start breeding but as @coralbandit mentioned just want to know I have a viable pair.

BD spawn

Good Luck

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi 86, do they have hiding places? Put a bunch of live plants in there to make it feel more homey. Do you have any spare catfish? put a couple in there too. Prefer them to be Corys as they are harmless catfish... What is the PH level? A small piece of driftwood would be good if not already in there... Is there surface agitation? Air stone or sponge filter? Lights off until they settle would be preferred...

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got no clue on dithers ?
I never used them with my apsito or ram breeding ..
I always raise and breed rams alone ?
I am finding the rams and discus together seem great ..They both sort of provoke each other ..I got golds for you if you want 86..I ship every week .
Brought back two Kiegel plastic breeding cones from the Aquatic Experience ..I guess that and me moving the gold rams out of the 65g today can count as a little effort put forward to helping the snakeskins ?
The eggs are gone on the heater .I have never seen eggs last long on heaters unless it gets unplugged ..

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Excuse the commentary on this video guys lol But i thought id update you on my Discus this morning, all doing well :D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom