Discus Gang Updates - Page 32

Solomonsolomon

The mono was sold, he's always hiding by himself, I think I need more than one if u want to keep them....
More pics

Attachments

• 20210115_143227.jpg
    20210115_143227.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210115_134905.jpg
    20210115_134905.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 30

jake37

Mono ? Don't they require brackish water ?

Solomonsolomon

Mono ? Don't they require brackish water ?
Yes, especially when they get big. Some people have them in freshwater only and they are still alright...

Gamer

This Blue guy is my favorite
so I thought just share an updated fts of them swimming around
Artificial plants I decided are nothing to be ashamed of

Attachments

• 3CEC2D44-A4F2-455D-A960-BC7CEF0C6579.jpeg
    3CEC2D44-A4F2-455D-A960-BC7CEF0C6579.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 22

86 ssinit

Live plants are nice though .
20DD645A-4C75-405C-B557-AE43FA38BAC1.jpeg
146DB914-6866-4C12-9552-4A19468805E3.jpeg

Gamer

Indeed. I actually use lighting made for planted tanks because I was into planted aquaria years back. I was a member of planted tank and whatever forum that was with Diane walstad as a member.
I’m of the opinion now that I’d need co2 .

Solomonsolomon

Oh I almost forgot! The only problem that I had were molly fish! They attack my discus and angels, believe it or not!!!!

Gamer

Fishy businesses is a local shop or online? If you do get more qt them for a month before adding to your discus. Also Jack isn’t as good as he used to be. I will recomended Hans discus. But again no mater who you get from you must qt your new arrivals. Many people have had major losses when adding new discus.

have you ever quarantined Rams? If so were they quarantined with the discus?

I’m thinking about two Rams when I get my 4 red discus. From the same source/same breeder.

coralbandit

have you ever quarantined Rams? If so were they quarantined with the discus?

I’m thinking about two Rams when I get my 4 red discus. From the same source/same breeder.
I know Tom Qt'd the rams .He Qt's everything , even rams from me ..
They did fine the way he does it . I can't remember if he had other fish with them .
I like discus by Hans also .They are all I keep until I can get some Piwowarski or Danzinger .

86 ssinit

Lol yes I qt everything. Yes even corals! But his came with his mystery water and before the week was over I had 3 sets of eggs from 3 ram pairs!! All going on in a 5g:eek::eek:. So that was a quick qt . Best rams ever!!
Go to the simply discus site and read the German Asian thread. I haven’t been but people have been wiped out when mixing discus. Again Whattley isn’t what it used to be. Hans does have great discus but being yours may not be German you will need that hero fish with his or whomever.

Gamer

Lol yes I qt everything. Yes even corals! But his came with his mystery water and before the week was over I had 3 sets of eggs from 3 ram pairs!! All going on in a 5g:eek::eek:. So that was a quick qt . Best rams ever!!

Wow that is pretty amazing!

coralbandit

I ended up feeding once a day many weeks when my work hours were long .I fed heavy in the am and all food was eaten . You have to be able to keep up water changes with heavy feeding .If you can't change water often enough you should not over / power feed IMO .
I have a discus gang update ...
The new Hans I got have grown well over the last 8 months even without the ultimate care ..They were still treated well but you have to get real with 50 tanks that add up to over 1,000g and limited time ..
Here they were back in April ;
3 days ago the largest male German wonder spawned with a Brilliant Turq female on wood .

xViOq8zl.jpg
^^ The pair with eggs on wood .Male behind female .

bObXTanl.jpg
^^ Better shot of the eggs ..
They defended the eggs for 2 days in a 65g with 10 other discus ..The male is probably 6 inches [no joke]..
This morning only the bad eggs were left but the pair was still defending [half heartedly] some remaining unfertile eggs . I will move them to their own tank this weekend [probably a 4x2 80 g] and see how they do from there ..
The male removed today .He and his first mate have their own tank now ,well they share with zebras ..

hYSuw9nl.jpg
6 inches tail to nose ..Hans and German discus all the way !
Thought I saw the females tube so maybe eggs again soon ..I have seen this and know to be patient ..
So I thought I might have broke these two or just upset them by placing them in a ground level tank ?
I saw a set of eggs last week and the pair seemed to tend them for days [ I am sure they hatched ] but then no attachment ..They laid eggs on the tube for the water change pump ! :confused:
Well they laid eggs again yesterday this time on the pump itself ! Impossible to get pics without moving the pump which I did once already to confirm they were there ..
So hopefully soon I will have wigglers and free swimmers ?? Fun just to think you stand a chance at least !

Solomonsolomon

After water change

Attachments

• 20210117_213609.jpg
    20210117_213609.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 30

Solomonsolomon

Trumpet knifefish

Attachments

• 20210118_155811.jpg
    20210118_155811.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 22

Gamer

Great sharing all you beautiful discus people!

86 ssinit

Ok gamer great looking tank!!! But maybe I’m mistaken but I think the fish are sending a message to you! Starts right in the beginning with the yellow discus on the right. It swims up to your plant and almost passes out! Than it kind of staggers away. Next scene we see an angel fish which I swear is saying gets away save yourself save yourself!! There FAKE!!! Next scene there’s a group of fish and you can almost here them saying “hey there fake” “no way” I can’t believe there fake” touch it “no you touch it”. And in the end we see a whole school of neons swim up and stop!! I ain’t going in there!! They stop!! Yep there’s a message in there .

Gamer

Like “woah Artificial! I don’t think so! This is unacceptable!”

Solomonsolomon

Ready for dinner

Attachments

• 20210118_233211.jpg
    20210118_233211.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 30

Gamer

So I didn’t have my phone at the time but I fed them thawed frozen beef heart about 15 minutes ago and everyone started headbutting, bickering and two even locking horns like two angry bulls. Which is funny too because they aren’t actually bulls they are fish.
They fight to death for that.
about to do a water change now.

Gamer

5 of them are really establishing a pecking order now. Truly still cichlids.
All except my littlest one Stripy who stays out of their way and the others don’t seem to even go after him.

but 5 are displaying highly aggressive behavior. Not just at feeding time.

coralbandit

5 of them are really establishing a pecking order now. Truly still cichlids.
All except my littlest one Stripy who stays out of their way and the others don’t seem to even go after him.

but 5 are displaying highly aggressive behavior. Not just at feeding time.
Look for a pair trying to separate and have their own space ..
That is usually what makes thing tight in my tanks .

Gamer

Look for a pair trying to separate and have their own space ..
That is usually what makes thing tight in my tanks .

I see two of the leopards doing this right now. They are chasing the other leopard, the pigeon blood, Little Stripy and my blue diamond is half fighting back. They lock horns but he always ends up backpedaling and he seems to get it the worst. Awe man I got a pair !

Solomonsolomon

Just went to a LFS, self-control self-control and may the force be with me please please please

Attachments

• 20210202_122532.jpg
    20210202_122532.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210202_122528.jpg
    20210202_122528.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210202_121050.jpg
    20210202_121050.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210202_121058.jpg
    20210202_121058.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210202_121101.jpg
    20210202_121101.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 30

86 ssinit

Wow that’s a great store!!

Solomonsolomon

Bought the red one....

Attachments

• 20210204_205501.jpg
    20210204_205501.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 32

H Farnsworth

Man look at all those titles. You like a Fishlore Colonel.

86 ssinit

Lol where you been? How are your discus!!
I’m thinking if I can get 2 more titles I’ll get to be a title guru :eek: :eek:.

MoshJosh

Just wanted to let yall know I'll be selling my discus fairly soon. Have 6 santarem strain that I got from coralbandit. I have 3 large (3-5inches), and 3 small (about 2 inches), all the same age though. Also have a mated pair of blue diamonds (about 4 inches). . . who have not breed for me though . Still trying to figure out fair prices, but if your interested feel free to message me.

Mandy627

Everybody still in the tank? Very cool combo. I have kept Killifish for years, they have great personalities as long as they have their territory.

86 ssinit

Well first time laying eggs and on day 3. This is in the new tank. Friday
F008A6A9-3E39-42DB-820A-DE1CB2067576.jpegSaturday
8E4C089E-A165-422C-BC50-3188249D372C.jpegSunday
BE62E4F8-ECDB-474E-9264-3EAC0B94A862.jpeg

86 ssinit

So got up this morn and now the male is all involved with the eggs. WIGGLERS!! Who would have guessed. In the other tank egg have been layed at least 15 times with no results. This is the first time for these 2.

jake37

Are you going to steal them or let nature take its course ?

86 ssinit

No clue! Wasn’t thinking it would get this far. I really have no clue as to what to do next. But I have a 29g that has some rummie noses in it for the last month. So there ready to go into the main tank. So I could switch them out. But I will wait and see if they actually attach. Than make the move.

jake37

coralbandit would be a better person to comment but I think you have two choices - see if the parents will let them eat their slime when they go free swimming in a few (3? 5?) days and keep the other fishes away or take them out now - wait till they become free swimming and then try feeding them bbs or similar.

86 ssinit

Well I’m going to go for the free swimming and see if they attach and eat the slime. Think it will be easier that way to remove them. Removing now I don’t think will work.

coralbandit

My pair has fry that semi attached today ..
I see fry swimming all over so it is sad but at least every time the pair seems to get farther ..
Taking discus fry/wigglers is more difficult then most other fish .
I will wait and see if the pair get it right also .

86 ssinit

Looks like some thing ate half of them. I’m think they said hey let’s take it easy the first time. Lol.

86 ssinit

Ok not sure about the eating. Could they move wigglers closer together? This morn there is a lot more movement. Think I will only change about 40g today.

jake37

Don't know about discus but with my angles they sometime move the wrigglers around after moving them from the original hatching spot. Once in a while they will practice blowing them (i.e, pick them up move a bit off and blow them back - like a spitball game).

Ok not sure about the eating. Could they move wigglers closer together? This morn there is a lot more movement. Think I will only change about 40g today.

coralbandit

They are placing them back until they absorb their egg sac and are ready to try to attach. The fry basically are falling off now as they can't swim well yet .
If attachment is going to be successful the pair will need to darken up quiet a bit IMO .

My female is semi dark and still has a few attached to her .The male is normal color and aloof .
I still see fry swimming in the tank which is not a good sign IMO ?

86 ssinit

So should I not do a water change? And wait till tomorrow? Coral are yours in a breeding tank or with others?

SouthAmericanCichlids

I was just scrolling through this thread, seeing it for the first time, and it's literal torture. I want discus so bad, but I don't think I'm quite ready for them. All your discus are sooo beautiful!

coralbandit

My pair are in their own tank over 2 months now . They started off spawning with all the others in the 65 so I separated them .They have laid eggs 4-6 times in this tank but never get all the way ..My experience says they will if I can do things right for them ..So it is on them learning and me helping as much as I can .
I would not change water or make it less to not disturb the wigglers .
You are best after this giving them your 45g and see what they do ..
It's fun to watch and get excited about regardless of outcome ..

smalli

HI All, I didn’t want to hijack anyone else’s thread, and since Outcast is gone, I didn’t want to continue that thread - so I figured this might be a good one for all of us to use for just general updates, or to even cross-post (I confess it’s sometimes hard for me to keep up with all that’s going on in all the different threads)

Anyway, here’s a better video of my 7 in the 75g. Arlo has grown a lot, and it appears he and the PB’s are working out who’s gonna be the boss! They’re always at the front of the pack, and almost seem to be racing each other I’d also like to get your opinion on the little blue Discus I got from iFish. It’s supposed to be a Cobalt, but so was Arlo - who was that size when I got him, and while Arlo was very dark because of stress, I could still see the typical Cobalt patterning, and within a few days he started to color up. This new one has always been a very light blue with only faint patterning visible - sometimes. Could it be a Blue Diamond? I’ve included some stills so that you can get a better idea. I wish the Snakeskin wasn’t showing his stress bars, which he does on a moments notice, cause he’s really striking when he’s feeling safe!
discus are my dream fish but they are hella expensive. Also I don't have enough room for them. My next tank is gonna be a turtle guppy tank 20 gallons and I am hyped for it

jake37

My concern is the water temp and what it restricts i can do with them. I'm thinking i might give them my 120 after i move - the 120 will be in the basement so i won't really enjoy them but i can at least experiment with breeding them - maybe just put 2 pairs by themselves in the 120 with some plants - i'll have to think about it. In the office i'll have four tanks - my thought is 350,200,100,100 (angles/clowns, rams and more rams, apisto (nijj, eliz and hong), guppies and swordtails). That's. I really wish there was a breed of discus that would do well at 80 or 82. 86 is just too warm - i'll end up burning my fingers.

discus are my dream fish but they are hella expensive. Also I don't have enough room for them. My next tank is gonna be a turtle guppy tank 20 gallons and I am hyped for it

86 ssinit

Well Coral they heard ya! They moved the fry to a leaf. I though they ate them :rolleyes:. Buticame down an hour later and they looked like this.
28796A97-6343-46DB-B581-D0E5C4B0B7BD.jpeg
2BC11FFD-7A98-45D6-BE1F-00EB55E19DE7.jpeglook darker than I’ve ever seen them before,

Solomonsolomon

My new fish

Attachments

• 20210213_182836.jpg
    20210213_182836.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 31

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fa4960
Replies
Views