Discus Gang Updates

TroyMadden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
They're here!!!
That's exciting! Keep us posted please! I'll be getting the 10 Discus deal once my tank is ready, I still have to wait on the stand, light, heaters. I shouldn't have to wait to cycle though. I have a large sponge filter that is loaded with BB I'll put on the intake of my new Sunsun HW-304. That's what I did with my African Cichlid tank, put the 8 fish and an active sponge filter in simultaneously, it worked great.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, since I wasn't at all expecting such a speedy delivery I was a bit off guard and gave my grandpa the wrong instructions. All three of them arrived alive and well, the diamond and super red already have surprisingly good colors for right out of the box. Last I saw the golden discus was super pale, almost white actually, but based on the reviews I've seen most other people saw the same thing the first couple days? That specific color must not ship well or something.
Anyway, they're all happy and swimming around their new home as far as I know. However, I accidentally told my grandpa to put them in the wrong tank (display instead of QT) so there's a lot riding on the health of Frank's fish right now, fingers crossed!
Assuming I can contain myself I'll be patient and post pics tomorrow morning, but I guess we'll see if that happens haha.
EDIT
Frank said that the coloration in the golden discus is normal as I expected, and to just give it a couple days. I also noted that I was impressed with how quick the delivery was, turns out he charges $40 for shipping, but then he pays extra to get them delivered before 10:30 so they aren't sitting on a cold truck too long. So that's pretty cool!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they’ll be fine. Is the light off? Really don’t even know if that matters. I think a lot of this stuff is more for us than them. If lights are on are they swimming with the other discus? Good luck! And looking forward to pics!! :).

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nikm128 said:
Ok, since I wasn't at all expecting such a speedy delivery I was a bit off guard and gave my grandpa the wrong instructions. All three of them arrived alive and well, the diamond and super red already have surprisingly good colors for right out of the box. Last I saw the golden discus was super pale, almost white actually, but based on the reviews I've seen most other people saw the same thing the first couple days? That specific color must not ship well or something.
Anyway, they're all happy and swimming around their new home as far as I know. However, I accidentally told my grandpa to put them in the wrong tank (display instead of QT) so there's a lot riding on the health of Frank's fish right now, fingers crossed!
Assuming I can contain myself I'll be patient and post pics tomorrow morning, but I guess we'll see if that happens haha.
EDIT
Frank said that the coloration in the golden discus is normal as I expected, and to just give it a couple days. I also noted that I was impressed with how quick the delivery was, turns out he charges $40 for shipping, but then he pays extra to get them delivered before 10:30 so they aren't sitting on a cold truck too long. So that's pretty cool!
Congratulations @nikm128 ! So glad they’re finally in your tank, even if it’s the wrong one, Lol! Can’t wait to see pics!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
86 ssinit said:
I think they’ll be fine. Is the light off? Really don’t even know if that matters. I think a lot of this stuff is more for us than them. If lights are on are they swimming with the other discus? Good luck! And looking forward to pics!! :).
Lights were turned off, but I switched it to the blue "lunars" now that I'm home. It looks like they're still integrating into the group, the three of them are kinda spread out in various hiding places while the main four are still just figuring out what's going on and being curious like we all know discus like to be. However the three of them are occasionally coming out and swimming with each other so I think that's a good sign, they look happy at least.
I must say, for juvies their colors are already quite bold. The blue diamond is exactly how I expected. The golden is already coloring back up, it's not very bright yet but I'm excited to see how it looks in a couple days and then when it's grown up. The super red is already vibrant for its size, though I can tell that there will possibly be a little bit of peppering around the top of the lateral line? I think the only thing I don't like is how I waaay underestimated the size of my fish, and way overestimated the size of the fish I ordered. I guess mine are in the 6-7" range as opposed to ~5" like I thought, and I think the ones I got are definitely closer to the 2" side than 3". I was expecting them to be about the same size as the ones I originally got but I guess that once again what I thought was around 3" was closer to 4".

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I just fed the tank dinner, I'm not sure if the new three ate anything but they certainly perked up to see what was going on.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nikm128 said:
Lights were turned off, but I switched it to the blue "lunars" now that I'm home. It looks like they're still integrating into the group, the three of them are kinda spread out in various hiding places while the main four are still just figuring out what's going on and being curious like we all know discus like to be. However the three of them are occasionally coming out and swimming with each other so I think that's a good sign, they look happy at least.
I must say, for juvies their colors are already quite bold. The blue diamond is exactly how I expected. The golden is already coloring back up, it's not very bright yet but I'm excited to see how it looks in a couple days and then when it's grown up. The super red is already vibrant for its size, though I can tell that there will possibly be a little bit of peppering around the top of the lateral line? I think the only thing I don't like is how I waaay underestimated the size of my fish, and way overestimated the size of the fish I ordered. I guess mine are in the 6-7" range as opposed to ~5" like I thought, and I think the ones I got are definitely closer to the 2" side than 3". I was expecting them to be about the same size as the ones I originally got but I guess that once again what I thought was around 3" was closer to 4".
I chose the ~2” size with all the Discus I‘ve bought, and there was quite a variation, even with the Hans. I wasn’t sure if we’re supposed to measure right through the tail fin to the end, or just the body, but even going to the end of the tail was a stretch for some to make the 2” mark. I was recently browsing online dealers (just looking, honest!), and one was selling ‘dime sized’ Discus. Now that would be interesting!

Your new ’little ones’ sound like they tolerated the shipping well @nikm128 , so if they didn’t eat anything last night, I’m sure they will today. Keep us posted!

TroyMadden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay!, my aquarium stand will be here today, 9 days before estimated (!), the SunSun canister arrived yesterday, glass tops just shipped, light is on way soon too! Should have water in the tank today! I got the tank a week ago from Petco, on sale, hopefully it's OK, $99 for a 75 gallon! Glass looks thin, but I think it must be all tempered glass. Like I mentioned before I have a couple of large sponges on the intake of my canister in my other tank, so I'll steal one of those to jump-start the cycle next week when I also order 10 2" discus from iFish. I feel like a kid before Christmas!!! In case anyone is interested I got the active sponge filters from here, when I started my other tank: https://angelsplus.com/products/active-sponge-filter …. had tried a fishless cycle but it was taking over 6 weeks so I changed out all the water to get rid of the ammonia, put two of those on my filter intake, plopped and dropped in 8 Africans since the water params were almost identical to iFishes ( I withdrew some water from a bag with a syringe and tested it), and the fish ate within a couple hours, and no losses. So that was LUCKY! Hopefully I'm as lucky with the discus, but I wont plop and drop , I'll acclimate them since my PH, GH, KH will be higher than the water he keeps his discus in I believe.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TroyMadden said:
Yay!, my aquarium stand will be here today, 9 days before estimated (!), the SunSun canister arrived yesterday, glass tops just shipped, light is on way soon too! Should have water in the tank today! I got the tank a week ago from Petco, on sale, hopefully it's OK, $99 for a 75 gallon! Glass looks thin, but I think it must be all tempered glass. Like I mentioned before I have a couple of large sponges on the intake of my canister in my other tank, so I'll steal one of those to jump-start the cycle next week when I also order 10 2" discus from iFish. I feel like a kid before Christmas!!! In case anyone is interested I got the active sponge filters from here, when I started my other tank: https://angelsplus.com/products/active-sponge-filter …. had tried a fishless cycle but it was taking over 6 weeks so I changed out all the water to get rid of the ammonia, put two of those on my filter intake, plopped and dropped in 8 Africans since the water params were almost identical to iFishes ( I withdrew some water from a bag with a syringe and tested it), and the fish ate within a couple hours, and no losses. So that was LUCKY! Hopefully I'm as lucky with the discus, but I wont plop and drop , I'll acclimate them since my PH, GH, KH will be higher than the water he keeps his discus in I believe.
That’s great @TroyMadden ! Lol, I know the feeling well!! Interesting site that sells active sponge filters - sounds like a good way for people just getting started to save some time getting their tank(s) started, but a lot still depends on having the BB bacteria survive the shipping, and getting the bio-load established. Since you can just move a sponge from your established filter into your new filter, it will certainly jump start the cycle in your new tank (which was a great buy, BTW). You might want to consider adding the water that you drain from your established tank (when you do a water change) to the new 75g as well, since the BB in the sponge you’re moving would have the same ’food‘ that they are used to. I usually do 1/2 tank used water, and 1/2 tank fresh, but even a 1/4 tank used in your new 75g should work.

I also just got an email promo from iFish yesterday that he’s doing the ’buy 5 two inch Discus and get one (of your choice) free’! This is how I bought my first batch from Frank, and if you space 2 orders out over a couple days, you could get a dozen for the price of 10 :woot:!

TroyMadden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"You might want to consider adding the water that you drain from your established tank (when you do a water change) to the new 75g as well, since the BB in the sponge you’re moving would have the same ’food‘ that they are used to. I usually do 1/2 tank used water, and 1/2 tank fresh, but even a 1/4 tank used in your new 75g should work.

I also just got an email promo from iFish yesterday that he’s doing the ’buy 5 two inch Discus and get one (of your choice) free’! This is how I bought my first batch from Frank, and if you space 2 orders out over a couple days, you could get a dozen for the price of 10 :woot:!"

Great Ideas!! Thank You Barbara!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes using wc water is great. But understand with 10 2” discus in a 75 gal. You will be doing 50% water changes daily or at the most every other day. So your bb will not grow that fast because of the water changing.

TroyMadden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What do folks think I should run for media in my Sunsun HW-304B, it has 4 large trays. I have 4 floss pads, 6 lbs of ceramic bio-media, carbon, zeolite, and Purigen on hand. I was thinking put the floss pads in the bottom where the water hits them first, then 2 trays of bio media, then Purigen and maybe carbon in the top? I have some sponge pads coming too, but I wont have them for a few days, and hopefully, I'm going to set this up today, get the water flowing. I treat my tap water with Prime. RO is coming later, for breeding purposes. I wont put the active sponge on the intake until I get fish, so the BB don't starve.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Only use 1 of those floss pads. The more you use the less flow you will have. What nikm128 said is right. With the sponges go first course grade second medium grade. Next basket one of the floss pads than those ceramic noodles that come with it. Last 2 baskets matrix or bio home.
Also lube the center gasket with vasoline.

TroyMadden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK, thanks! The gaskets are pre-lubed, so I think they are OK. I don't have sponges right now because I bought the cheaper canister without them, it just came with the felt or floss pads, I'll rearrange later. I put my stand together this morning, it's an Ameriwood Home Alta Vista....only 149.00 ,free ship from Walmart on-line, but, wouldn't do it again. The top sagged about 1/8" in the middle, I had to shim it up. All particle board except the top which is MFD. I'll have to be super careful of leaks and slopping water around. I'm not going to put my canister inside the stand until I'm very comfortable it doesn't leak. On the bright side, tank plus stand only $250, a steal if it works out, a disaster if it doesn't! I'll be putting water in soon! I'll be so happy if all goes well! If it does, I can order fish Monday ! DISCUS , hoorah!!! Had some 20 years ago, I really enjoyed them!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many keep their canisters in a tub ..That will help your stand ..
I don't use them .
I guess they could leak ?
That would suck on a big tank !
The shim was not needed as all weight goes to corners ..
I have a 6 foot 180g with no center support ..
I look forward to pics of your set up [put the canister in a tub ]..

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All eggs are gone from the heater fiasco and the snakeskins ..
I'll share my real thought now why they ate their eggs this time .
The filter tube they have laid on was on opposite side of tank .So was the pot they have used .
This heater was as close to the opposing 65 as it could be . Corner to corner .The tanks are back to back .

The disc are in the back tank facing their friends ..
I am slow but observant ..I noted my Leopoldi angels hanging together near that corner a lot lately ..Ironically the opposite end of tank they usually hang ..
I figure the angels literally inches from the discus eggs even separated by glass was just too much for the pair to handle .
They really ate the eggs much faster then I ever would have guessed ..
So I guess no I need to add a separator between tanks ..
Maybe if I don't separate they will not lay again there ? yea !:meh:

TroyMadden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes! tank is full, canister filter is running, no leaks! Can is pretty quiet too, I had heard conflicting reports but I'm happy!
Don't know why I couldn't order fish Monday. This is going a lot faster than I had anticipated! Had to skip my nap though, LOL My 55 gal looks like a tiny tank now!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom