Discus Gang Updates

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@BarbaraLocke speaking of food chain, should i feed them to my discus? :(
Yes small enough i think, im going to bite the bullet and do it, sigh..
No real place to sell the others yet but im trying :)
Sorry for the late reply, @DecoyCat - I would have agreed that it’s worth a try, and see that you decided to do it. Did it work?

Do you have Craigslist, or anything like it in Australia? FB no longer allows selling ‘animals’ on it’s Marketplace, but I have still seen fish being offered (usually along with a tank for sale).

View attachment 627607View attachment 627608View attachment 627609Saw this discus today.nice colors but what do you guys think. It’s the red and white one. Think it’s stunted? Looks a little lean. About 3” .Was told it’s been in store for 2 weeks. But everything I asked about was there for 2 weeks. So what does the gang think?
The PB. But it’s red and white not like PBs I’ve seen before. Only reason I looked was the color. Never seen one that white.
the coloration certainly stands out, and it doesn’t have much peppering - so it might be a ‘diamond in the rough’. It would certainly look nice in your tank! :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the replies. I think the fish may be stunted and is older than his size. Head also looks wrong. It’s tough to commit. It may not grow any bigger and quickly become a runt and get bullied. Going to pass on it but visit that store more often. Maybe find one when they first get it. Sad thing is that place had 4 tanks of discus. Over 30 fish but it didn’t seem like he was moving them. Hard to get more when you can’t sell what you have. That many fish eat a lot of high quality food. Gets expensive.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the replies. I think the fish may be stunted and is older than his size. Head also looks wrong. It’s tough to commit. It may not grow any bigger and quickly become a runt and get bullied. Going to pass on it but visit that store more often. Maybe find one when they first get it. Sad thing is that place had 4 tanks of discus. Over 30 fish but it didn’t seem like he was moving them. Hard to get more when you can’t sell what you have. That many fish eat a lot of high quality food. Gets expensive.
Well, that’s too bad, @86 ssinit , but I can understand your hesitation in getting one that you’d put a lot of effort into, only to have it be a big problem. Also, since you don’t go to that store often, it could be that it’s been there a lot longer than they’re saying, and maybe they don’t feed their Discus right. I think a lot of pet shop owners actually feed the cheapest food and hope that their stock moves fast, rather than cater to the specific needs - especially with fish. It’s all about their bottom line.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would agree on the stunted judgement. The eyes look to big for the body size, and also doesn't look particularly round for a fish that size. The yellow/white Checkerboard (or whatever it's called) to the right of it seems to have a more round body form.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue snakeskins have laid eggs on the AquaClear intake again .
Nice new cone and they use the filter intake huh ??
They are only fish in tank now so lets see if they do anything different..
Looks like more eggs then any other spawn which makes sense..

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@coralbandit here is hoping! lol at them not using the cone, thats funny. Good luck!

Hi all, i sold all the baby Angelfish yesterday! 24 of them to my local pet shop, only got $2 each for them but i took the offer because i didnt know how else i was going to move them on. So the little cuties are onto their next journey! I will miss them after looking after them so intently for the last couple of months.
And guess what! While i was in the pet store dropping off the babies i seen some Discus! Haha so i have 2 on hold until tuesday (pay day), a very cute Turq and a nice looking PB! They will be going in the 3 foot tank the babies just came out of. Im a bit excited!
Hope your all well :)

EDIT:
I couldnt wait guys! I took a loan from my mum lol.. 2 new babies for me!

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello gang...
So the new 2 are settling in ok, except the little Turq is very skinny, i dont know how i didnt notice this at the store. Hopefully i can fatten it up, it looks pinched in the head and along its back at the moment...
My big Turq Cheeky might be sick, she had strange poop that turned white eventually. I posted on a FB page about it with some pics, one person said tape worms, another said Hex and then the last person said dont stress about it. So i currently have her in the hospital tank and im not sure what to do! I ran around all day today buying worm tablets, getting a script from the vet for Metro, buying new odds and ends for the tanks, and finally just did a water change on the 4 foot because the Nitrate was between 40 and 80 in there! I havnt started meds on Cheeky yet, im undecided on it, i dont want to harm her with meds if its not necessary, so im waiting to see if she does a normal poop in the next 24 hours. This is when i wish some of you guys lived in my town so i could call you up and say Hey come over and check this out and discuss these problems. But alas, i know no one close by for help, better put my big girl pants on!
Hope your all doing well :)

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get us pics of the how they look ...

It appears the eggs are gone from my 2 ??
Always next time ..

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello gang...
So the new 2 are settling in ok, except the little Turq is very skinny, i dont know how i didnt notice this at the store. Hopefully i can fatten it up, it looks pinched in the head and along its back at the moment...
My big Turq Cheeky might be sick, she had strange poop that turned white eventually. I posted on a FB page about it with some pics, one person said tape worms, another said Hex and then the last person said dont stress about it. So i currently have her in the hospital tank and im not sure what to do! I ran around all day today buying worm tablets, getting a script from the vet for Metro, buying new odds and ends for the tanks, and finally just did a water change on the 4 foot because the Nitrate was between 40 and 80 in there! I havnt started meds on Cheeky yet, im undecided on it, i dont want to harm her with meds if its not necessary, so im waiting to see if she does a normal poop in the next 24 hours. This is when i wish some of you guys lived in my town so i could call you up and say Hey come over and check this out and discuss these problems. But alas, i know no one close by for help, better put my big girl pants on!
Hope your all doing well :)
Uh oh!! First, congrats on selling the Angel babies! I think many people who have unexpected fry find and no pipeline to deal with them have the same experience as you. The lfs’s know they can get them for little $ because you aren’t set up as a breeder would be. Actually, that probably isn’t a bad deal for the age and number of Angels you had :)

Now to your concern with your Turqs. If it were me, I’d do a round of Metro and raising the temp to 90F for both. You’ll just get more frustrated trying to figure out if the white poop was a sign of worms, or general gut irritation (because only microscopic evaluation could tell). Metro won’t work on tapeworm (as far as I know), but it sure has helped mine when they seem to be dealing with internal issues. Keep us posted!

EDIT: just saw your post about chlorine poisoning. I agree with @coralbandit on the double dose of Prime, and still recommend Metro to help with any gut irritation....

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all, i sold all the baby Angelfish yesterday! 24 of them to my local pet shop, only got $2 each for them
Supply and demand. It is disappointing. That is why I am giving EBA breeding a break. A few spawns ago I was getting around $5 a piece for 4-5 month fish, the LFS's were bidding on eachother, it was "Great". They paid for the "Discus". Then the bottom fell out on pricing. It appears the fish farms were trying to move some stock and discounting them.
It's a shame you have some sick fish, hope you figure it out. The trials of keeping "Wet Pets".

Good Luck.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As I’ve said I’m not a medicator. Only thing I use is salt. Are you feeding the freeze dried black worm? Sometimes mine pass what looks like a white poo. But it’s just the slime from the black worms. Is the sick fish the new turquoise? Prime will work on the chlorine. Do you use it?
As to the sale of the Angels. $2 is a great price. Stores by me don’t want them.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good morning all,
I had a really bad day yesterday, i was so stressed and very afraid to medicate the Turq (old stock turq), she is the one with the weird poop. I brought worming tablets and got a script from the vet for Metro, but kept putting it off because i was scared. Which turns out lucky for Little blue, he almost died last night. I was biting the bullet and preparing to worm the Turq in the hospital tank at about 8pm last night when i noticed Little blue laying on his side on the bottom of the 4 foot tank, he had white gills and had turned dark in colour. Longer story short i grabbed him out and threw him in the hospital tank, within minutes he was upright and sitting in what looked like shock for awhile. @RollaPear i dosed the 4 foot with double Prime, i had brought a new squeeze dropper for adding Prime to my buckets during water changes because i had been going through to much Prime, so i cut down. I think this was a mistake and ended up poisoning Little blue with chlorine, only thing is the other 3 were fine in the same tank, so who knows! I have tested the 4 foot water this morning, all parameters are in check and all fish in there are eating and ok.
So now i dont know what to do, the Turq and Little blue are in the hospital tank and are eating breakfast ok, im to frightened to move Little blue back to the 4 foot in case he has another turn, but i need to treat the Turq :(
So im at a loss at where to go from here.

The Turq poop
20191021_171925.jpg

Little blue on his side
20191022_194226.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No poo expert :) but I’d say give it time. Is every poo like that? Wow little blue did not like that water. I use an under counter filter to filter the chlorine out of the incoming water. If you want I will pm you some pics.

Well I didn’t move them yet. Only 3 weeks will move this weekend.
88A5DEA9-94CC-461B-8AA6-DE2C6E465CE1.jpeg
saw this this morn on my blue snakeskin. He’s fine and eating. Not sure what happened. But fins a torn some white spots on tail fin and kind of scratched up. May be getting bullied. I haven’t seen it but that’s all I can figure
561FACBF-4E47-41CB-A652-DA286B327FAF.jpeg
6FAD10FE-F232-4A8E-AE37-92066801A666.jpeg
88A5DEA9-94CC-461B-8AA6-DE2C6E465CE1.jpeg
561FACBF-4E47-41CB-A652-DA286B327FAF.jpeg
6FAD10FE-F232-4A8E-AE37-92066801A666.jpeg
and bought this guy for my 90g. May get another :).
1687EC5E-CB44-490B-9E58-10228BBAAED6.jpeg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry about the double post of pics. Not sure what I did.

I've been thinking about getting a tank that's just a little bit bigger for the discus, but only one that can still fit on the same stand so I'm not sure whether I should favor dimensions or volume. Length would be the same, but the tank would be wider instead of taller, it's only a difference of a few inches and 10-15 gallons. Thoughts?
Was away didnt see this. Me I like taller for discus and angels. If your tank is a 75 you could upgrade to a 90 would get you to 24” high. If a 55 you may. Be able to find an 80 show tank which I think brings you up to 30”. Nice tank but hard to find.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
@DecoyCat In my experience the white poo never disappears by itself so I would go ahead and threat it. Although I don't advocate treating fish that don't look sick I would leave the little blue in there. Since he has recovered from the chlorine a parasite / deworming treatment shouldn't harm him.

I don't have chlorine in my water but since I don't trust the local water authorities not to suddenly add or overdose or whatever I run all my WC water through a activated carbon tower, holding around 10 kg of the stuff. Don't know if you can get something like that down under but happy to send you a picture if you want?

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
No poo expert :) but I’d say give it time. Is every poo like that? Wow little blue did not like that water. I use an under counter filter to filter the chlorine out of the incoming water. If you want I will pm you some pics.
View attachment 629897
I'd like to see the filter also. Can I ask what the device attached to the suction cup is in this pic? I've seen it around on different builds but this is the first time I've seen it in a discus tank.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@86 ssinit @fa4960 I cant win, i spoke to a woman off a FB group, she told me to return both the Turq and Little blue to the main 4 foot tank and then tomorrow worm all 6 discus in that whole tank, ok fair enough i did that. I walk past 20 minutes later to see Little blue back on his side? He was fine in the hospital tank :(
I just cant deal with this anymore today, im so upset, i bet he dies! I can only pray its just from stress and he will right him self. Ive turned lights out in the house, im checking on him every 30 minutes, this is it.
Mean while chips, music and beer to keep me calm!
Ps. Thanks guys, i will talk about the chlorine filters another time, cant cope right now. See you guys tomorrow

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom