Discus Gang Updates

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would not recommend Hatchets, they are jumpers. Started with12 down to 5. My son found another last night about 2 feet away from the tank. There was an opening only about 3/16", it found a way. I am going to have to re-think the dithers. I know Cardinals, but just not to my liking.

On another note,
This one is for you @BarbaraLocke
My pair are still trying to get it right, this is the 8-9 time.
Have another spawn, she gave up on using the driftwood and decided to use the Qanvee filter. And I noticed they are both more attentive this time, taking turns fanning them. Not ready to start breeding but as @coralbandit mentioned just want to know I have a viable pair.

BD spawn

Good Luck
Well, I never found any eggs, so I guess mine were just practicing cleaning a spot and doing ‘the shimmy’ :) I saw the egg tube on one, so at least I know which one is female, now. I know from what you guys have been experiencing that these two are nowhere near ready to be parents, but it’s really neat to think that I’ve got a pair, too!

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@BarbaraLocke
Here is a video i just took for you of the babies, look how big they are now!
They were pigging out on FDBW's in this video lol

Excuse the commentary on this video guys lol But i thought id update you on my Discus this morning, all doing well :D

Wow! Your Angels are beautiful @DecoyCat , and getting so big!! I’m amazed at how they’ve become identifiable Angels so fast! That’s a lot of ‘finnage’ for them to grow! Love your Discus video, too! Your Turq is really impressive, and I’m so glad Ranga seems to have gotten over whatever was bothering her. That funny thing Teeny was doing with his/her fins was ‘the shimmy’ they do to attract a mate :emoji_wink:Well, the emoji has been resized, but the borders haven’t been, it appears.... They still have some work to do on the site it seems. This reminds me of an old Word Press site I had to deal with at work, but I don’t see anything in the menu here that lets you play with the code - for good reason, I guess.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DecoyCat the little angels look great!! Discus too!! Good to see all is well and you relaxing with the fish :).

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh pic of the new guys tank. I do have plants some shrimp and a small piece of wood. They will swim the whole tank but if I go near it they hide. If I walk past they go crazy. Only fish I could add would be a pair of Cory’s and a pair of ottos.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh pic of the new guys tank. I do have plants some shrimp and a small piece of wood. They will swim the whole tank but if I go near it they hide. If I walk past they go crazy. Only fish I could add would be a pair of Cory’s and a pair of ottos.View attachment 627352
How often are you doing water changes in this tank? Is water changes and feeding the only time your near the tank? Grab a chair and sit by the tank, they might be scared of you at the moment, so spend some time just sitting there with them, esp at feeding time. I would remove the shrimp, they are not a species id have in with discus and could be the problem. Id add the Cories instead and see if that helps...

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve got a whole colony of cherry shrimp growing in my 125 with the discus. Could be but I don’t think they are the problem. Will try the Cory’s tomorrow see how they work. As to chair I do have one there :). I think it’s because there’s only 2.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, most likely because there is only 2 of them but was just making suggestions to help other than that, how long have they been in there now? Could you look at moving them to the main tank sooner?

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh pic of the new guys tank. I do have plants some shrimp and a small piece of wood. They will swim the whole tank but if I go near it they hide. If I walk past they go crazy. Only fish I could add would be a pair of Cory’s and a pair of ottos.View attachment 627352
Love your ’fish room’ @86 ssinit! It just dawned on me that you could try 2 or 3 moonlight gouramis as companions for your 2 skittish Discus! They can stand temps in the low 80’s, aren’t jumpers, and are really beautiful, peaceful fish! I’ve got one with my 2 Silver Dollars, and he really made such a great buddy for them that I just got 2 more - and they’re not expensive! Long story, but I was given an acrylic 55g, which weighs less than 20lbs empty, and is 4’ long, so I figured it would be better for the SD’s cause they love long tanks. I just got them moved, and thought the tank would look great as an all silver tank. While I was at my LFS getting some airline I saw they had an adult Boesemani Rainbow that they wanted to find a home for....well, a little color would be nice, and the price was right :rolleyes: Then when I went to Petco to get the 2 MLG’s they had I saw they had some baby B. Rainbow’s, so I got 2 of those, too. The new guys are all being quarantined in the 40b (that was now empty after moving the SD’s), and I am impressed with how docile they all are together! I think some Moonlights would be stunning with Discus!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Omg Barbara MTS has taken hold!! :). Congrats on the acrylic tank they are great. I have 2. Only thing is they do scratch easy.
Sorry I’m just not a fan of gouramis. I do like the boesemanis have 3 in my 90 and 3 fry growing out in other tanks. They are very slow growers! Also great dither fish with discus. They can handle the warm water. But my oldest 2 are about 5 yrs old so I’m not moving them.
DecoyCat your right I’ve had them almost a month now. Think I will try the Cory’s today and move them this weekend. Just hoping they don’t make the others skittish.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@86 ssinit Yea, i think moving them in with the others now would be ok, fingers crossed for you :)
@RollaPear Haha thats funny, Tiny and Teeny were so so small when i brought them, i honestly didnt think they would grow, but they have surprised me :)
My fish are just waking up with the house lights on at the moment, i need to check Big blue, i walked past the tank in the night and gave him a fright, he crashed hard into the end of the tank, the poor baby.
@BarbaraLocke The babies are indeed doing well, except i think i need to cull a few, i just thought they were runts until i noticed yesterday they are not swimming right, i actually dont know what to do to cull them? They are still tiny compared to the others now. I dont have any cloves oil either so im unsure what to do at this stage...

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Omg Barbara MTS has taken hold!! :). Congrats on the acrylic tank they are great. I have 2. Only thing is they do scratch easy.
Sorry I’m just not a fan of gouramis. I do like the boesemanis have 3 in my 90 and 3 fry growing out in other tanks. They are very slow growers! Also great dither fish with discus. They can handle the warm water. But my oldest 2 are about 5 yrs old so I’m not moving them.
DecoyCat your right I’ve had them almost a month now. Think I will try the Cory’s today and move them this weekend. Just hoping they don’t make the others skittish.
Lol!! MTS took over months ago @86 ssinit, but I thought I had it under control when I got the 75g. When I was offered this acrylic tank (with filter) I thought I would transfer the fish in the 40b to it, and then sell the 40b. I don’t have a stand for a 55g, but I figured I could put a plank across the 40’s stand to make up for the overhang. Of course I needed a place near the 40 to put the 55 while doing the transfer because I wanted to give it a few days to make sure everything was working. By shovwing things around in the room, I had space under the window that’s on the wall at a 90 to the breeder, and because the 55 is so light I could put it on a couple milk crates, which would keep it close to the floor, but not impacted at all by the window. Of course it was too close to the floor, so there wasn’t enough room underneath for the canister that came with it - so I took the hob from the 75, and put the new canister with that tank. By the time I got all that done I got thinking that since I had enough equipment to have all the tanks running, why get rid of the 40, when I could get more fish for it?! :rolleyes: Hopeless, I know!

You have Boesemani’s too! The adult I got is very mellow, and a great companion with my SD’S. The only reason I didn’t suggest getting some for dither fish is because the 2 little ones I got are very active, and zip all around the tank looking for food, so I thought they might just make matters worse for you. I’m sure that moving your 2 Discus in with the others will make them feel secure, and they will have so much more room in your big tank!

@86 ssinit Yea, i think moving them in with the others now would be ok, fingers crossed for you :)
@RollaPear Haha thats funny, Tiny and Teeny were so so small when i brought them, i honestly didnt think they would grow, but they have surprised me :)
My fish are just waking up with the house lights on at the moment, i need to check Big blue, i walked past the tank in the night and gave him a fright, he crashed hard into the end of the tank, the poor baby.
@BarbaraLocke The babies are indeed doing well, except i think i need to cull a few, i just thought they were runts until i noticed yesterday they are not swimming right, i actually dont know what to do to cull them? They are still tiny compared to the others now. I dont have any cloves oil either so im unsure what to do at this stage...
I hope Big Blue is OK, @DecoyCat! I had to keep an eye on my SD’s after I moved them into their new tank because it was a real rodeo catching them - they’re almost eatin’ size now, and amazingly fast! I don’t know of another way, other than clove oil, to euthanize fish, so if you can’t get any where you are let me know, and I’ll send you some. That’s the thing with raising fish, some seem to be meant to become part of the food chain early on :emoji_confused:

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have to say that was my first thought. Feed to other fish. Are they small enough to be eaten? And even though you put them in to be eaten they may not. Good luck. Do you have a place to get rid of the rest?

Saw this discus today.nice colors but what do you guys think. It’s the red and white one. Think it’s stunted? Looks a little lean. About 3” .Was told it’s been in store for 2 weeks. But everything I asked about was there for 2 weeks. So what does the gang think?

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes small enough i think, im going to bite the bullet and do it, sigh..
No real place to sell the others yet but im trying :)

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry, i looked closer at the photos, i think its a PB? Its ok, has room to grow in its eye to head ratio i think, might just need fattening up and some tlc. Could be a goer in my books :)

Ps.. I would be grabbing the Melon/Red :D

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The PB. But it’s red and white not like PBs I’ve seen before. Only reason I looked was the color. Never seen one that white.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
speaking of food chain, should i feed them to my discus?
As mentioned you can try. I had my EBA pair spawn, the bottom fell out on pricing at my LFS's. So, I let "Mother Nature" handle it. Ended up with a dozen fry, added then to the Discus tank.
The Discus went on the hunt as soon as I dropped them in. It was a sight to behold. That was a few weeks ago. 4 have made it and are growing well. Now to big for them.
Here is a pic of one of them with an Amano.

Good Luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom