Discus Fish: What do I Need to Know?

Jhawk117

Hi all, so I've been in the fish keeping business for a few years now. I currently have a 29G in my room. I've had assorted fish over the years to the small tetras to angelfish. I was thinking about trying out discus fish! I've seen them in stores and they are so pretty! I think they would be a great addition to my tank. Could they be kept as a community fish in my 29G? I heard they are a schooling fish and can grow to be actually quite big. Can I get a few discus and maybe a few smaller fish for my 29G or would I just have to stick with the discus? What else should I know about them? Are they easy to care for like angelfish? Angelfish have done pretty well in my tank!

I was thinking for my 29G, I would keep only a few discus plus maybe some dwarf german blue rams? I hear both liked to be kept at high temps so maybe they would be paired well together??

86 ssinit

For discus you would need a minimum of a 55g tank. A 125g would be much better and easier to care for them with.
For Beginner Discus Keepers | Discus Fish Forum | 486447.
This will give you an idea about keeping these fish.
A 29 is just to small. Well taken care of discus can grow to 6-7”.

Jhawk117

Yeah, I have nowhere right now to keep a tank that big. I thought I read that you keep discus in a 29 just not let them grow to be that big? I would love to be able to keep a few of them! They are just so pretty fish!

What if I were to do angelfish and german blue rams together? Like what about x3 Angelfish and a pair of dwarf GBRs?

PeterFishKeepin

Ye, 86 ssinit is the man to listen too, he as an amazing Discus keeper and is quite knowledgable, ive never kept discus but I know they need quite large tanks so if I were you, do some more research maybe you can buy a 2nd hand tank that is large 60gals+ and you can use the search feture on fishlore to find discus threads and get some of your questions answered.

Noroomforshoe

Im sorry, but it would be better to keep researching until you are able to get a larger tank. I would not dare to keep discus in anything less then a 78 inch long tank, and even then, I have seen full-grown dinner plate size discus up close, and even a 78 inch tank would look small. I did not have a ruler, but they looked to be about 8 inches round.

Discuss come from water with low to no nitrate, to keep discus, you need to keep zero or no nitrate. They are NOT easy to care for, It would be easier to keep saltwater fish. youtube has many videos on there care.

Jhawk117

Okay, so I can forget about discus. What about x3 angelfish and a pair of dwarf German blue rams??

PeterFishKeepin

IMO angel fish need at the very very verrrryyyyyy minimum 45gal but really they shouldn't be in anything under 55 gals. But a pair of rams in 29gals is fine, discus and angels are no goes fro 29gals. sorry best of luck finding the right fish, discus and angelfish can get to the size of a dinner plant, you could buy them small and keep them but agression levels will be extremely high, stress fish and kill them or their growth will be stunted from too small a tank and they will die a life a short life, either way angel and discus no go for anything under 55 gals.

Jhawk117

I’ve had angelfish in my tank before and they’ve done fine? I think I only had one die

PeterFishKeepin

IMO its very unwise to add to a 29gal tank, you can see what others say but this is my opinion. Please reconsider your stocking options, apistos, shell dwellers and rams are great starter introductions to keeping cichlids in smaller tanks if this is something your interested in.

Jhawk117

Yeah, lately I’ve been having mainly beginner fish like guppies, sword tailes, tetras, etc. I want to go for something more exotic and yet still have somewhat of a community tank

PeterFishKeepin

the 29gal, does it have any other fish in it, if its already has guppy, swordtails and tetra then you most likely will be overstocked if you add a small cichlid. If its currently got few to no fish then choose the small cichlid species, then add a few compatible fish if you want but dont overstock the tank.

Jhawk117

Well, my plan was to get an idea for a new community tank first. Sell or give away all my fish that are currently in my tank so I can start off fresh then go get some new cichlids that would work well together in my new community tank

PeterFishKeepin

ok so your gonna restock the whole tank

I think your best cichlid options are:
- apisto cichlids
- rams (golden, blue, bolivan, etc)
- shell dwellers

Shell dwellers normally are kept as species only tanks with now other species

Rams a great and same with apistos i think they are your best two if you want to have tetra and community fish too.

Perhaps do some research and choose a small cichlids species then we can discuss tank mates if its not the shell dwellers.

Also you may be able to sell some of the fish you have in the 29gal and keep some too depends on the type of cichlid your wanting to buy

Best of luck
Peter

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
uspatriot
Replies
Views
toy4x
Replies
Views
Thedudeiam94