Help Discus fish have cloudy eyes (cateracts)

matthewh2

Reaction score
HI I have 4 discus in the main tank, a few days ago I noticed that my red turq female had developed like cateracts over her eyes an other smaller discus also developed this I have done what other people have suggested by doing a water change everyday to help it is there more I could do

regards

matt

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Matthewh2
It sounds like your Discus may have a gram negative bacterial infection, you can try using an anti-fungal medication. Make sure the water is always pristene and the waste is always vacuumed on a regular basis, at least twice a week. If you use meds, make sure you have removed the carbon filter.
good luck with your Discus, I hope they get better soon.

EDIT: You can try finding Eye Fungex by Aquatronics. Or any fungicide should work.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Out of curiosity Kate, if it's a bacterial infection, why fungicide?

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sirdarksol said:
Out of curiosity Kate, if it's a bacterial infection, why fungicide?
HI SDS
I went back to my notes on this post to find out where I got this information from on the Fungicide. There are so many different eye diseases and symptoms ranging from translucent film over the lens of the eye, to the iris around the pupil becomes cloudy.. and then there's the cottony white growth over the lens of the eyes that can be a Saprolegnia fungus.. All of these symptoms a fish keeper can refer to as 'cataracts' without really knowing for sure which it is.
So being that some of the symptoms like a translucent film can indeed be a gram negative bacterial infection, and therefore should be treated as such. There are even symptoms of the entire eye becomes cloudy from the inside out which can be caused from a parasite.
But there are cataracts that are fungal growths on the eyes as well.These seem to be the more common ailment. And that is why I mentioned the Eye Fungex or Fungus Eliminator as a treatment course.
I should have explained myself better and I'm sorry if my post confused anyone.

Slug

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Allie said:
They have eye cloud....they need a good water change...if it doesn't go away after a good water change than treat for eye cloud.
Agreed. Most of the time, cloudy eyes is from bad water.

New Threads