Discus Fish food, and some tips

spandex

Reaction score
Hay all
i have just got myself 2 discus for my tank.
i was wondering what others feed them.

i have a smaller one which is in need of some love, is it ok to let him into the big tank to move around and relax a bit.
I had the smaller one in a breeding net for around 3 days and have just let him out to try and work up some hunger and eats a little more

any tips for these fish,

discus guy

Reaction score
i feed my discus frozen bloodworms and sometimes brine shrimp but the brine shrimp are kinda messy if u need anyting just pm me and ill help u out cause i have 8 in a 72 to try to get myn to mate

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think Discus need a good and varied diet, being demanding as they are. I think a combination of a variety of flakes, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, as well as frieze-dried bloodworms, could make a good diet. There are also fish foods that aquarists can make themselves from fish meat and other meats (like chicken) from stores. There are recipes for that. If Discus eat veggies (don't know if they do), why not give them some veggies too?

There surely are Discus foods at fish stores.

Anyway, you can always research Discus diet on the Internet.

P.S. How large is the tank in which you keep your Discus?

spandex

Reaction score
the tank is 160lt

and the smaller weak one is in a 25lt tank

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you planning on getting a larger tank for your Discus when they're grown? I hear all the time that Discus need at least a 75 gallon tank, even if it's only 2 of them. They need lots of space and a very clean water (which means lots of frequent and large water changes).

spandex

Reaction score
maybe when they grow up they are very very young and small. which is why i got them
i do daily changes arounds 10-20lts a day

discus guy

Reaction score
you realy dont have to change that much water that often depends on how good your filter is.and i have a 55 that i had six about 4 inch discus in it and they had plenty of room to move around and be happy i change about 10 to 15% every week..

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, I suppose it depends on the filter too, as Discus guy said. I myself never raised Discus so I have no experience with them. What I've said came from what I hear about Discus (from people who have them). And based on all that I've read and heard, Discus are rather sensitive fish and do need good (if not excellent) water quality. I may be wrong since I never had Discus, but if I had Discus, I'd keep them in at least a 75 gallon tank, and I'd perform at least 50% weekly water changes for them. The more massive the fish, the more it eats, and - of course - the more wastes it produces. Discus like a diet that is high in proteins. A lot of proteins convert into more wastes that increase nitrate level faster. So that's why more and larger water changes with Discus are recommended. It's better to overdo water changes than to "under-do" them - at least in my opinion

spandex

Reaction score
yer i see your point which i do feed them high protien diet and do water changers almost daily rather then weekly.
but if it needs weekly changers then ill leave it at that.

when they grow up ill look at another tank im not planning on another tank till i buy a house rather then the one im renting atm

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I understand. Getting a new and huge tank, and then having to move it to another place, can be a big problem. I wanted to get at least a 125 gallon tank but I decided not to because I will be moving to another place too (in a few years probably). I don't know how I'd move such a big tank! So I settled for a 75 gallon tank for now - this will be certainly easier to move than a 125G.

spandex

Reaction score
yer i want to get a salt water tank also but i have to hang out till i move house

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom