Discus Conditions

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by theRqua, Jun 26, 2018.

1. theRquaValued MemberMember

I have a tank of 180L, 1m long
    It has some plants - Male Anubias, and Anubias Nana
    It has a driftwood underneath, some rocks and stones, and brown gravel for plants (which kind of sucks since it easily floats and spreads)

Someone at the store strictly told me Discus could get black spots from my tank's conditions
    Well, they were very strict, and I REALLY want a discus and it's hard for me to believe that the conditions have to be so strict

My goal - to accommodate a Discus in my tank. Besides decors I have 1 Guppy and 2 Platies
    Thanks for the help. If there's anything else you need to know, I will gladly answer

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

Firstly, I have to guess that that what they mean be black spots is called “peppering”. It’s when black spots appear due to stress or in their attempts to camoflauge (some may have natural peppering even without doing any of the above. So while I don’t think your tank set up is bad (can’t say anything regarding parameters since you did not provide them), the main problem is tank size as well as inhabitants (the latter less so).

Discus are a shoaling/social fish; a 180L is not big enough to have a proper group (and these guys get up to a decent size).; having one will for sure stress it out. Additionally, these fish prefer warmer temps of 84-86; this is quite the hot temp for a lot of fish and it can burn metabolism a lot more quickly and shorten lives faster, especially for livebearers.

And as a side note, discus aren’t the most difficult things in the world to take care of; tons of breeding have made them hardier and more adaptable than their wild counterparts. However, they do require additional care than other fish (especially juveniles) which can make them a semi-difficult, laborious fish to take care rather than an impossible one :)

3. OP
    OP
    t

theRquaValued MemberMember

Thank you so much for your reply, it was highly anticipated!
    I have absolutely no problem providing a discus with group mates. So my question will be, what are the minimal requirements regarding group members amount, water quantity and parameters? The current parameters I can measure are pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Anything else required to be measured for the accommodation of a Discus?
    And bonus question :D - what challenging yet environmentally suitable fish would you recommend for my aquarium? My dream is to learn more about fish and perhaps one day advance towards a saltwater aquarium, so I am highly interested in challenging fish :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice