Discus colors[emoji6]

tiffani

Hello
Since I kinda stumbled into the discus hobby while looking for dithering fish for my angels aggression toward each other, which adding discus made that completely go away. My discus are kinda bully’s to my angelfishes, constantly moving them out of their way. Now, Angels colors are pretty basic & limited to an extent.
I love bettas and their color spectrum as well.

The discus however come in literally a rainbow of colors, and my store where I’m buying them does not giving me proper color names. Idk he knows the proper color names .

Question- can I buy a all black or black discus? I’ve yet to find one, but genetically it should be possible.
Also, how many colors are there? And how many patterns?
I also want an orange discus also.

What’s difference between white & albino & yellow, on discus these 3 colors sometimes blend with each other on one fish??
Found this info on show discus- but I’m trying to elaborate on it.
Also some strains do not show bars on them at all??
I got several that do not display bars, however I know when their mad .

Please post some photos with the different colors & strains- so next time I have and idea of what I’m looking at.

https://www.discusnada.org/discus-classification/

RyanLee

Lot of strains listed in that thread.
I don't know of any black discus.
Many times local pet stores are not sure what they are selling and call them "assorted discus"

tiffani

Lot of strains listed in that thread.
I don't know of any black discus.
Many times local pet stores are not sure what they are selling and call them "assorted discus"

Hello
Thank you. So, basically- correct me if I’m wrong, most of the discus most of people got are man made? These color spectrums are named by man & created by man? Kinda like the bettas are?

The real valuable ones are the wild discus, right? The natural colored ones with the bars? The original colors are wild ones?

So, like you said, I have assorted discus pretty much & I can get any variation of colors out of my discus?

But, I’d really like to get a black discus. I’ve yet to see one for sale?

Thedudeiam94

Hello 4]
Thank you. So, basically- correct me if I’m wrong, most of the discus most of people got are man made? These color spectrums are named by man & created by man? Kinda like the bettas are?

The real valuable ones are the wild discus, right? The natural colored ones with the bars? The original colors are wild ones?

So, like you said, I have assorted discus pretty much & I can get any variation of colors out of my discus?

But, I’d really like to get a black discus. I’ve yet to see one for sale?

This is because blacking in discus is a result of extensive stress/peppering due to breeding different strains of discus with pigeon blood types. These are not usually “eye catching” discus and have been portrayed as “unhealthy” or “poorly bred” discus. However you are not the first person I’ve heard interested in solid black discus so maybe there will be a market for them one day after all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ambie
Replies
Views
CoryBoi
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit