Discus Collection complete???

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok guys/girls I am so happy, I do not know if you remember me I am the guy that could not afford to buy all my discus up front and I had to buy one at a time, oh and I had a hard time taking good pictures?
Well I still am having a hard time taking good pictures that are not to blurry. Yes I will post picture when I get some that look half decent I want you all to see them and to tell me what you think, like if they look good healthy stunted I hope not and all that other stuff but mostly because I am so happy I think for this tank I am finished now, well maybe.
You see I now finally have a total of 5 it took me about 8 weeks to get to this point but now I got 5 a good size group I know I have a 55 gallon and I could go with 5 or 6 so I may try and squeeze one more if it is advisable from the rest of the forum? Oh and it has to be one that I absolutely can not live with out, more than likely a snake skin I really love them there cool.
Ok so here is my latest addition a beautiful Silver Pigeon Blood or something like that I am pretty sure that’s what they guy said it was. I googeld it to see a pic and sure enough it looks like mine but mine has just a touch of peppering I know I know there’s all kinds of debate over that but honestly for me it’s not to bad and it does not look o bad and the fish is still beautiful to me.
I had him/her kept in QT for almost 3 weeks prob not long enough but I could not wait to get him into he tank with the rest of the group plus every single fish came from the same local guy so I am thinking and hoping there’s no problems there, Plus I am more worried about him being bullied so I did not buy a baby just in case, my other ones are growing and I did not want the new guy to be the smallest so I am hoping he does not get picked on to bad in fact the last addition the Red Marlb is a bit smaller than this one.
So here it stands as of rite now and in order of purchase, I now have Cobalt (who is getting bigger like every day) a Blue diamond, a Flachen, a Red Marlboro, and finally the Silver Pigeon Blood. So I think I have a real nice mix of color although the Flachen and Cobalt are very similar in looks the Flachen is a bit darker in color but either way I think I have a nice colorful collection.
Now what do you think am I done? Should I add some Ram’s Cardinal Tetras? If so how many if not should I get one more Discus or say that’s a nice size group for that tank let em spread out in there rather than stocking it to the max?
I do have one Cory Cat, one small Pleco, and two small Loaches and when I say small I mean small all are less than three inches the loaches are Angel Biota’s sp? Loaches not the larger clown loaches so having said that what do you think? I do have a 29 gallon I could move some of the clean up crew out if need be?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I admittedly don't know much about discus, but I always thought they should be species-only?

TedsTank

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it really depends on why you want discus. I've seen beautiful planted Discus tanks with tetras, etc. But it takes a very well established tank and bit more diligence on cleaning etc., and not pushing the "how many can I put in a tank"....more like "how many will be comfortable" in a tank.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love them as is I think some black sand and drift wood would look nice that's what I plan to do eventually when I have all my fish and there all healthy and doing well when I am finished that's what I plan on doing thin layer of blk sand some drift wod maybe some floating plants for cover nd I am done the fish are so prety on their own, rite now I have mine in a BB with a fake floating plant for some cover a bubler and spray bar heater and that's pretty much it pretty [lain but the discus make up for it.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep I may be new to discus but I have researched all about them for about 4 months or so prior to making my first purchase I was ready for sure!!

joshua 74

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sounds great fish monster love the sound of black sand would go well with driftwood and valis good to hear things are getn better for ya

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your tank sounds really nice! I'm in the same boat you were in. I'v been planning on Discus forever. Someday...

I wonder if Cardinals might end up being a snack for you Discus? Have you considered Rummy Nose Tetras? I love mine and they get a little bigger. A group of Cories would be nice too.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yp I did exactly rummy nose tetras but I have no idea where to get them, it's funny not even that fish place has them. I have about 4 pet shops near me that sell fish no discus of course but I have not found my rummy's I wonder how much they go for? and how many to put into my tank? I was thinking 10 - 12 Rummy's would be good. I do not want to increase my BIO load to much and I do not want to crash my Biological filter to much you know and I will need to qt them for a few weeks I am not trying to get 300$ worth of fish or more sick with what 30$ worth of fish?

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Maybe one if the stores can order them for you.10-12 sounds perfect. A good price in our neck of the woods would be around $3 each.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks for the tip I will try that thank you again

joshua 74

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
rummy nose are about $4.50 iv neva seen the price change around here I had 12 but I got big big discus and she 8 them and my cardinals and my nions.

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
joshua 74 said:
rummy nose are about $4.50 iv neva seen the price change around here I had 12 but I got big big discus and she 8 them and my cardinals and my nions.
I thought the Rummys would be big enough to avoid getting eaten. Goes to show what I know Maybe if you buy the Rummys before the Discus get big. IDK

Maybe Lamp eye Tetras (Red Eye Tetras). They get pretty big. They aren't as pretty though IMO. I had a school of 12 of them in my 75 with my Big Angels and all they did is stay in a tight pack swimming in the filter current. I ended up giving them to my brother and when I saw them later they were huge.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah me too in fact you alwyas hear of Rummy's being a fish to be added with discus, hmm

dvc_r

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear about your Rummynose. I have about 25 with my 7 Discus and I haven't lost any (from Discus). A few months back I lost a few because my CO2 unit went crazy and suffocated them, but never from my Discus.

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
dvc_r said:
Sorry to hear about your Rummynose. I have about 25 with my 7 Discus and I haven't lost any (from Discus). A few months back I lost a few because my CO2 unit went crazy and suffocated them, but never from my Discus.
25?! And discus? I'm so jealous of your tank!

9 of my rummy nose swam into the HOB overflow of a stupid sump set up I had on my tank for a while. In so glad I stopped using that thing.

manitu

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would be carefull with the black sand I know it looks good but discus will look darker

and especially any pigeon blood based discus will pepper greatly

regards

New Threads