Discus Bully - Page 2

toy4x

I always say juveniles should be at 84 degrees as this helps to encourage them to eat. sub adults can go to 83 and Adults can be at 82.
any higher is just not necessary and can actually hinder you in the long run. for instance, if you have a sick Discus that we might determine needs a metro treatment, I am gonna prescribe a higher temp (say 88) to go along with the metro treatment. if your Discus have been raised steadily on 86.5 than this treatment may not be near as effective as it can be otherwise. raising it to 86 to encourage a finicky Discus to eat is great, we just don't want to leave it there. 4-5 days should be plenty. jmo
I would encourage you to get Als FDBW's he imports them from Australia - it is literally Discus Crack. Lol
Blackworms
I always use loose as they just worked better for me. I soak them a bit, rinse them off and dump them in, they float in the water column nicely this way.
many people buy the cubes and you can stick them to the inside of the glass. I would venture to guess you will notice a big difference in your Discus eating habits. they will become pigs.
California blackworms has a good product as well, I have just never went with anyone but Al Sabetta
Thank you for the education! So much to learn...

DecoyCat

HI Toy4x
I really feel for you with this bullying going on.. I had Discus for around 6-8 months last year, and boy was it a huge learning curve, as a lot of people here can testify.
I write to you because I had 2 bullies, one was the first Discus I brought called Tango. She was a tank terrorist, she was only small but boy did she think she rocked. She was fine when there was just herself and 1 other discus called Bingo, but as I added more Discus she became very angry and charged at the new guys every chance she got. A lot of them hid in fear as she would body slam them and head butt them too. I removed her from the main tank for a day here and there, changed the main tank set up and re added her, within hours she was back to her old tricks.. I had to give her away in the end as my other Discus were suffering. Last I heard she is living happily with another group of discus. Then I brought Red (I think that was his name), an absolutely beautiful Melon. He was great in the beginning, but soon fell in love with Bingo and turned into the new tank terrorist. I tried removing him, changing the tank etc etc but nothing worked. At this stage in my discus keeping things went south where I was living so I had to sell up. Bingo and Red were sold together to a lovely lady who placed them with her group of discus. It wasn't long before I seen Red for sale on my local fish site, he was up to his old tricks again. So I guess from my experience (learner) I didn't have any luck with bullies. And we have to remember these Discus are Cichlids after all, there will be aggression amongst them. I keep thinking of that saying when it comes to Discus, "Only the toughest survive". Fish keeping Discus to me is like a surgical procedure, but these beauties are like no other. Anyway, your in the right place for good advice, I hope things sort themselves out sooner rather than later

toy4x

The golden is doing better lately. But he is still getting bullied into the corner every once in a while. The very aggressive behavior has subsided lately. He has started eating better as well so I am not soo worried. He comes out more and is mingling with the others often.

I think raising the temp to 86* for a few days helped out his eating. I have since dropped it back down to 83* and he is still doing fine.

bluelights

Hi - 4 foot tank heavily planted 0 nitrites 0 ammonia 22 nitrates 82 c heating PH 6.8 10 neon tetras, 10 black neones and 2 cories

I recently purchased ( a week ago) a 4 inch marble pigeon discus. I already have 1 blue diamond that's around 3 and half inches which is a very peaceful fish. I always had 3 . one got ill and i gave him to lfs and the other one became aggressive towards the remaining one, so, i gave it to lfs. So, this new discus has been fine, but past 2 days, he has been chasing the blue one like mad and smashing him into the glass and not letting him eat. I was so worried that he was going to kill him right there! It's strange they were friends last week.. The blue was fighting back and claiming his territory, so, i thought they would be okay and i could purchase 2 more discus once they settle. I woke up this morning and the blue discus was nearly all black and floating on his side with fungus on his eye! He kept trying to straighten himself up. It was so sad to see as he has always been a gentle fish and never bothered tiny neon's or any other fish. I had to remove him and take him to LFS as i don't have room for another tank to isolate the bully. Soon as he went into the LFS he stopped floating on his side and perked up. I wanted to ask, is bullying common when introducing a slightly larger discus into a tank with an established single discus? And why did he float on his side and struggle to straighten up? The new discus chases the neons too! He is beautiful but i'm worried if i get new Discus (they are expensive!) he will bully them all? Tanks

86 ssinit

Discus are cichlids they will fight. Most will suggest 6. Water needs to be changed so much most people won’t keep them. In a planted tank no less than 3x a week at 50%. Most will say a 4” discus is still growing a juvenile and would change water daily. Yes they’re expensive and need care. Also need a qt tank of at least 20g. You may want to try angel fish.

Redshark1

82F is too high for Neons long term. Max is 77F, preferably 73.

MoshJosh

I will agree with 86, I had a trio of discus at one point, and one was ruthless to the other. . . Almost non stop. Only thing that really helped was adding more.

86 ssinit

82F is too high for Neons long term. Max is 77F, preferably 73.
I’m with you on this. Someone here tried it and they looked great but didn’t last long term. So many of the dither fish they suggest are wrong. And 82 is the minimum temp for discus 85 is where they should be. Surprising fish that do survive the heat is corys. Most of the medium to large size corys have no problem.

bluelights

thanks. ok, didn't realise neons can't take high heat. Is that the same fro Cardinals and black neons? I was curious as to why the blue discs turned black and swam on it's side as if about to keel over? Do fish that are highly stressed by bullying, just give up, almost like they become depprssed and can't cope anymore with the stress of it all? I'm going to buy a larger group for sure. I do have another 4 foot tank. but that's not a discus tank. I've kept Angel fish in past and found them pretty easy to keep, exeot for the mistake of keeping them with guppies and tetras . Soon learnt fast, when the 15 plus neons vanished in a month .

Gamer

After research and I don’t mean on care sheets but on other discus people’s personal experiences. i believe black neons are safe. Might get some causalities when they begin to breed. I wouldn’t be quarantining a dozen to add with mine if I hadn’t read all the personal accounts of them getting old and fat in discus tanks. They seem to tolerate high temps and are hardy enough to last.
They occupy the top of the water column and I haven’t seen them go to the bottom for food.

86 ssinit

Somebody just had them on the discus gang updates and they didn’t work. May have been Rolla or JoshMosh.

Gamer

Somebody just had them on the discus gang updates and they didn’t work. May have been Rolla or JoshMosh.

I really wanted them. Welll actually I wanted cardinals but my favorite local fish store were out. I didn’t order online cause shipping fee plus I dunno I heard they don’t ship well.

petco had them but I don’t really trust their stock UNLESS it’s their bettas... I have to admit they get pretty bettas !

86 ssinit

Yes dither fish are for me anyway are a problem. Went through cardinals and phantom tetras over the summer. Just bad stock! All died but one phantom. Next I tried rummie nose but they’re not doing much better. Started with 6 and I’m down to 2 now.
Rams and Cory’s and SAE seem to work.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Discus-Tang
Replies
Views
Disc61
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies