Discus Bully

fishystarters

HI guys I woner if anyone can suggest a way to help me.
I have a lovely blue discus who I bought with a peppered yellow pidgeon blood. They got along fine when young but then the blue started picking on yellow. I tried moving stuff around and feeding at different times but it continued but not all the time so it was hard to see why. Then my yellow finally died last week. They had been together for almost a year. Tank mates are a small shoal of gold tetra, a zebra loach and 2 recently added plecos.
I went to my local fish shop who advised to try again, maybe the other discus was sick in some way but didnt show it. He was small though.
I have brought a new blue and he has been in the tank for a day. Again my other blue seems to be picking on him. I need to know if I should swap him as my fish supplier is willing to do this?

Size of tank is 2ft X 1ft X 1.5ft holds approx 60 ltr

Thank you for your help!
Tracey

lostsoulstav

Your tank isn't big enough and discus get along better in groups unless they are a mating pair.

fishystarters

Ok, I was told they could stay in a tank this size until they got a bit bigger and then move to a larger tank. I do have a 125ltr tank but it has my other fish in and I don't think the discus will like being moved in there. I will look around for a larger home for them.
Is that why my blue is being a bully?
Thanks for your help x

jetajockey

it definitely contributes to the problem, yes. A small tank like that can also stunt their growth.

joshua 74

When u get your new tank it still may be a smart idea to separate them just for a week or 2. by separate I mean a divider that they can still see each other threw just be shore that it won't start up agen. It would also be a good idea to get al least 7 discus this will help a lot just make shore your tank is big I have 7 in a 200L witch is I think on the border big and small so I do large water changes a lot hope this helps. Sorry 4 bad spelling gramer

Fish Monster

That's what like 53 gallons rite? that's a wired number, I have a 55 allon and plan on maxing out at 6 even though they are only about 2 - 2.5 inches atthe moment my wife will kill me if I try and up grade it going to be a while till I can get her to let me up grade and by a while I mean like a couple f years lol so I figured max it out now with 6 and be done with it with a few Rummy nose tetras a cory cat and a small pleco. I guess I can still have the other tank mates in there it says an adult discus per 10 gallons but it did not say if you could have a few smaller sized fish in there as well or not, I am hoping I can I don't see why not there all small fish the cory cats like what an inch and a half my pleco is maxed out at maybe 3 inches and Rummy nose tetras are not that big I would like to get oh about a half a dozen or so I think it would look nice and also act as dither fish and as water indicaters as they are sensitive to water conditonas well and an early warning system with them from what I hear is there bright read caps will dull and fade in less than perfect water conditons, let me know if this is an ok and sutible do able plan?

joshua 74

yea that's a good idea iv been meaning to get ssome rummy nose tetras but just don't got the coin. I think it would be better to get all ya discus first tho.

Fish Monster

Yep I will certainly be getting all my discus first I am getting two more tonight I am so excited I am 33 yrs old and feel like a little kid rite now I can not wait to get off of work go home grab my 3 yr old my wife and head out!

fishystarters

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm considering moving my discus into my other tank which is 125ltr. the problem I have is I have 3 molly and 3 swordtails to move out and wonder if they could go in the 60ltr? I have a shoal of small gold tetra, a zebra loach, small pleco, and another small loach in there.

Also they are getting on better now, hope that's a good sign.

Fish Monster

I had a cobalt by him self and added a blue dimand about a week latter the cobalt was fine with the bd excpet at feeding time I had a hard time making sure my bd ate as well, but after about 4 days the bd and the cobalt get along great and at eating time there's no issue now. Then on Friday yesterday I bought a Flachen(sp) discus to go along withthe collection and now the bd the cobalt and the Flachen all swim together happy as can be until feeding now the bd runs the Flachen off lol, not as bad thogh as the cobalt did witht he bd at first. Oh and the Flachen is slighty bigger than the other two its funny to see a smaller one push a larger one around. But the Flachen does get to eat just fine so I amnot worried I think it will setel dwon in a few days/ This is the problem with not getting them all at once but I am getting there 3 more in fact and I am done and I am going to try and get one inthe middle of this coming week as my guy is giving me a deal on the last few because I ahve made good on my promise to buy weekly and get all of my discus from him and why wouldnt I besides him there is only one LFS that sells them and this guy only sells buy word of mouth and all but gives you a back round check before he will sell to ou any way so I know he cares about his fish and who he sells too. So I still think that may be to many fish in that one tank but honestly I d rather crowd the smaller tank with your mollys and such and but your discus in the larger tank for sure because well the discus really need the space they get bigger than your other fish you have and they are more expensive fish. Also I hate to say it but I think the discus are a very special fish and deserve special treatment if you know what I mean?

But 125L is still only 30 gallon tank which should be ok with two of them you could possibly go with three and depending on the size you could have like 4 or 5 if they are samll and grow them out in a BB then move them to a 55 gallon I havemy 3 in a BB 55 gallon now and they are about 2 - 2.5 maybe pushing 3 inches but I am not sure exactly and they are already in their permenant home I could have like 10 in there at the size they are now but I would have tobe thinking about buying a 100 gallon tank some time in the very near future and I tink my wife would kill me lol.

Fish Monster

Just an idea though if you do empty that 30 gallon for your discus I would give it a reall through cleaning like two or three vacumings maybe even a 100% water change re fill with good tap water treated of course and get your make sure the heater you have in there now is able to get the temp uptoo about 85-86 degrees f and test the water for its parameters. Do you know what that is by the way like PH and general hardness and ammonia and nitrates and everything else? should be no ammonia or nitrates after the huge water change I would recommend doing but you need to know these other things as well. Above all else the key is stable clean water no drastic changes in the chemistry of the water and keep it clean and do water changes like three times a week I would say about half of the water in that 30 gallon 3x a week would be good/ you may have to buid your fish up to it though if their not use to that kind of water change and start off with a little less at first and gradually bumping up the amount and frequency. I do about 40% which is about 22 gallons 3 times a week in my 55 gallon tank and some times I will do more like 50% usually on a saturday after a nice serving of Blood worms Yummy!

But I am fairly new to this as well so you may want to wait and see what Slug or Nutter has to say there both pretty experinced and they got a lot of exp with discus also Harpua is another good one to listen to I trust those three for sure as a good souce on here and all three know there stuff and cruise around the forums a lot and they seem to genuily like to help us Noobs out for some reason their probally saying to them selves butter help these dumb Noobs out before they kill their fish and we can't have that, lol you know that's what it comes down to this is all about the fish and what's good for them and that's why these places exsist they care they really do they have nothing personally to gain other than the satisfaction of helping out another person that's it. They do not get paid to do this their not a sponsor for a product their not trying to sell you anything just trying to give good sound advice based on their many years of experince keeping fish and in particualr here on this particual secton of the forum the King of allthe fishes the Discus fish!
Thank you guys and thank you FishLore you all have been helpful and I contribute at least in part my early sucess witht hese fish to you and your good sound advice!! I did a lot of readingon these forums before I became an actual memeber and I read a ot of books and talked to a lot of people and I kept fresh water fish for a couple of years going on three now before I even considered trying to keep these fish so I was already kind of prepared and knew what I was going to need to do. But yeah these guys/girls will all but all your hand if need be to make sure you have the knowledge needed to keep these fish healthy and thriving I drwa off of their exp evry day I am on ere and I ask a ton of questions as well That's my two cents thanks getting off my soap box now and getting ready to collect my browny points lol!

Fish Monster

Oh and my fish are really pretty and I love my new additon my Flachen (sp) discus he/she is a really retty fish I can't wait to see what these guys look like full grwon or even half way full grwon I heard their colors just keep getting beter with age can't wait.

fishystarters

ok thanks guys for the advice. I have seen a 2nd hand tank that I'm interested in and after moving my room around I can put it in. its 1000mm X 400mm X 450mm so is a bit bigger than my 125ltr.
This would be easier than moving them to the 125ltr so I'm hoping to win the bid on e bay. I give my discus RO water with minerals added by my LFS and the temp is 26.4c

fishystarters

I won the tank so am going to move my fish in once it is ready!

Fish Monster

Good for you but do you know the size of your tank in inches or better yet letters or even better still gallons? I know there is a copnversion chart at the bottom of the screen but I do not think it will do dimension conversions for mm to inches.

RO water is good I do not use it the systems are way expensive and my local tap water is fine I just tested my water yesterday and all my values have been the same now for weeks even with water changes. The only thing I have to add is conditioner/

You know 26.4c is only 79f and the discus really should be at least at 84f to do well in 80-82 is like a bare minimum, I keep mine at 85 - 86f which is more ideal so you need to raise your temp a good 6 to 7 degrees f. I had to buy a more powerful heater to get to that temp so you may want to do the same I use a 200 watt heater for my 55 gallon and I have it at an angle in about the center of the tank with an air stone underneth it so there's good water flow around it other wise it may get to warm in one area and not warm enough in the other area I check my temp all the time from several diferent spots in the tank just to make sure there's an even spread. Beter option for me would be to have two heaters one on each side of the tank but this is ok fo now I may consider the purchase of a second heater in the near future but you will either have to turn your up or buy a new one altogether. FYI when you do turn yours up do it slowly over the course of a few days so its not a big shock to your discus don't raise it all at one shot just raise it by a degree or two wait like 24hr than raise it another 1 or two degrees do this until you get you tank temp up to the 84-86f range your discus will be better off fo it. I am suprised they like it that low in the first placve that's dangerously close. You may even notice there activity increase witht he temp increase, make sure you have good airation as well because the warmer the temp the less oxygen there will be in the water I am not sure why that is but that's the way it is I have a large air stone producing a lot of fine bubbles plus I use a spray bar for my canister filter. These are just sugestions and I am no expert but the other guys/girls in here are so they can either confirm what I am saying or have a diferent opinon altogether its all based off of one own personal experince. I hope this helps

fishystarters

Thanks fish monster I will turn up the temp gradually. It is 180 litres so quite a bit bigger.
The only problem I have is the lighting is not working so will have to buy a new section.
Its a juwel fish tank so am looking at around £70 for the part.

Fish Monster

that's about 50 gallon much better, you should be able to have about 5 in there depending on how many tank mates you plan on keepin with the discus. The lighting is really for our own benefit to see the fish that is unless you have live plants then you would need a full spectrum bulb, if not than its really up to you on how much and what type of lighting you wish to use. Yep just gradually increase the temp until you get around 85-86f or 29.44c - 30c over the course of a few days especially if your only at 79f its going to take you alittle while to get up there and you do not want to shock you fish, good job on getting the larger tank enjoy

yobofofas

I picked up three discus this week and they're all eating and doing well. I'm a little concerned though because one of them seems to be bullying the other 2. The tank is 90g and well planted so there's plenty of room for everyone and places to hide. Is this normal behavior? Did I buy a jerk? Should I take him back (I guess it could be a her)?

Thanks in advance.

Dolfan

Although I don't have any discuss experience, I think in any group of fish or any animal really, there is going to be 1 that tries to assume the alpha role, and wants to keep others in line. Part of nature in my opinion. As long as everyone is healthy and there is no hurtful attacks I would think they should be ok. Probably also will decrease in time. Since that tank is new to all of them, the bully is trying to assert dominance over the new area, once the others realize who is boss, the bullying should die down. Nice looking tank and fish. Just keep an eye on things and I think it will get better in time.

yobofofas

Thanks, feeling a little better. It just seems like everything I've read and seen leads me to believe how peaceful these fish are. The other two are completely chill and seem to get along fine. I guess he's not biting but there's a lot of chasing going on.

Disc61

HI Yobo, welcome to Fishlore. Dolfan is correct, it is just part of the pecking order. with that said, lets talk a bit more in detail to try and head off what I feel will be a disaster for you eventually. Discus are considered to be calm in behavior as far as Cichlids go, but after all is said, at the end of the day they are still cichlids an will always have an aggressive nature to them. as a new group in a new home a pecking order is definitely being established. what bothers me about your situation is you only have 3. this aggressiveness will become more intense and possibly stress one to death. taking the Bully back will not fix the problem as another will take its place.
Discus will portray the more calmer actions in a larger group. it is recommended to have at least 6 and in a 90 gl or would offer a number closer to 10. by adding more Discus to your group they will feel more at ease. the pecking order will still be established but one fish will not get picked on to death. they will all figure out quickly who is boss but will live together very peacefully as they truly enjoy their own to school with.

yobofofas

Thanks a bunch. I introduced a red snakeskin today, bringing the number to 3, and have four more coming Tuesday from Discus Madness. Hopefully things will settle down at that point.

Just added the new guys and the bullying is spread around a little more but still present. I'm guessing things will settle down in the next few days but I'm watching closely.

Well it's been 6 days, i've introduced a total of 7 discus and as of today the bullying continues. Two of the Discus seem to have the other 5 corralled in on half of the tank. Do I just need to wait it out? Should I introduce 1, 2 more? Everyone's fins are intact and they all seem to eat, the bullies more than the others. Any advice?

Bigreddiscus

You might have 3 males. I had 4 and all were males so I had to traded the smaller ones in and got a female for the biggest one.

You can.

Disc61

Well it's been 6 days, i've introduced a total of 7 discus and as of today the bullying continues. Two of the Discus seem to have the other 5 corralled in on half of the tank. Do I just need to wait it out? Should I introduce 1, 2 more? Everyone's fins are intact and they all seem to eat, the bullies more than the others. Any advice?

The tank is 90 gl so you can have 9-10 Discus. they are more calmer in numbers. BUT, please don't think I am saying that will stop the bullying, it will not. they are Cichlids and a pecking order needs to be chosen, one will definitely become the runt of the tank, if you pull it out or pull the bully out, the pecking order will be re- established, thus another runt and another bully. just nature taking hold nothing more IMO.

virusmk

I had similar situation still have 3 and one is predominantly dominant but 2 weeks onwards they look better comunity now bullie is still bullie but only when food time comes apart from that they are looking and living better this days

adive

since angels and discus are both cichlids, felt like mentioning this out of experience. I have faced a lot of such situations with angels and sorry but the "bitter" truth I had to accept was giving away the super-bullies for free. I hv no exp with discus and hope you don't have to face that. good luck with your beautiful fish.

like someone mentioned here, over time they could adjust and there is truth in that.

finally I have a set of angels that are aggressive with each other but they've adjusted to each other at the same time, its more of play now I think .

one more thing that i've observed: if the light is too bright they don't like it and act crazy and start scaring each other off. the moment I reduce the light they calm down.

virusmk

discus.jpg
this morning ive noticed that big chunk of the rear fin is missing... it few days ago it was just little piece missing but now I am a bit concern about his well being \
he eats and looks hungry allthe time and does not gives any signs of bieng stressed
can the fin get infected and does he needs any treatment

toy4x

Currently (past 2-3 days) my golden is getting really picked on and has gone into hiding. He stays in the corner underneath a plant to hide from the bullies.

I have 8 discus in a 100g. 6 are approx 4.5" 1 is 2.5" and the one getting picked on is in approx 3". He was one of the originals that I purchased. But it seems 3 of them have turned on him. He can't come out without them charging him. I've noticed when he does come out... I've seen him shake his fins.. Kind of like a convulsion(best way to describe it) and then go back to the plant hiding. He didn't eat today.

Do I need to separate him out? Put a divider till he gets stronger? Not sure what to do as it's not just one bully but multiples. The others get along fine with each other with only the normal little chasing.

Please advise...

Discusluv

There are a couple of things you might try. Do you have any driftwood, rocks, or plants in your tank?
Many people who have discus have very bare tanks ( to keep them cleaner until discus are grown out because of need for pristine water parameters) so there are not many locations where the discus can mark out their territories.
If this is the case, I would put some markers (plants, rocks, driftwood) in the back of the tank so that he knows where his "space" is in the tank. With this, he will know where to escape to if the bully's begin to chase him and they will usually back off when he returns again to this space.
This is really just natural cichlid behavior and that is why it is advised to put all discus in the tank that are approximately the same size. He is low man on totem pole and, therefore, is getting the brunt of the aggression.
When you feed try to feed at first on one side of tank and then drop food on the other for the smaller discus. You may also need to supplement with a good cichlid pellet to ensure that he gets the proper nourishment. But, as it is, he will always be the smallest fish in the tank.
The other thing to do, but it is more work, is to take all the discus out, put in the markers, put the smallest fish in, wait a couple of hours, and then put the bigger fish in. This is sometimes more effective because it puts the bullies off much longer and allows the smaller fish time to seek out his space.
Hope this helps.

toy4x

There are a couple of things you might try. Do you have any driftwood, rocks, or plants in your tank?
Many people who have discus have very bare tanks ( to keep them cleaner until discus are grown out because of need for pristine water parameters) so there are not many locations where the discus can mark out their territories.
If this is the case, I would put some markers (plants, rocks, driftwood) in the back of the tank so that he knows where his "space" is in the tank. With this, he will know where to escape to if the bully's begin to chase him and they will usually back off when he returns again to this space.
This is really just natural cichlid behavior and that is why it is advised to put all discus in the tank that are approximately the same size. He is low man on totem pole and, therefore, is getting the brunt of the aggression.
When you feed try to feed at first on one side of tank and then drop food on the other for the smaller discus. You may also need to supplement with a good cichlid pellet to ensure that he gets the proper nourishment. But, as it is, he will always be the smallest fish in the tank.
The other thing to do, but it is more work, is to take all the discus out, put in the markers, put the smallest fish in, wait a couple of hours, and then put the bigger fish in. This is sometimes more effective because it puts the bullies off much longer and allows the smaller fish time to seek out his space.
Hope this helps.

Here is a pic of the tank. There is driftwood and fake plants in the tank throughout. I will add more driftwood or plants if you think it is necessary. These 6 were bought together and except for the little one( anyone know what strain it is?) they were approx the same size. But, the golden has not grown at the same rate as the Checkerboards, blue diamond, or the rose.

3 weeks ago, I added in a blue Snakeskin and a red Leopard. The blue Snakeskin has taken over the tank and seems the most aggressive to the Golden, but seems fine with the others. The red Leopard is the most relaxed of all and very rarely has any aggression towards any others. I've never seen the red Leopard go after the golden or anyone else for that matter.

Before adding the blue snake, the golden was "fighting off" the 2 Checkerboards. He held his own and everything calmed down. Then I added the ****, and things went to **** again.

The little one hardly ever gets picked on at all. Thought since he's the smallest size, he would be the low man on the totem pole.. But nope. Hate to see my Golden getting picked on. Also like the way my tank is set up.. But if I have to add more hiding places.. So be it

Maintenance wise I do 50% every 3 days. At that point my ammon is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are at 20ppm. Almost like clockwork... Hardly ever any change in levels.
fb470193de2683f065365fca731de2fe.jpg

Discusluv

R
Here is a pic of the tank. There is driftwood and fake plants in the tank throughout. I will add more driftwood or plants if you think it is necessary. These 6 were bought together and except for the little one( anyone know what strain it is?) they were approx the same size. But, the golden has not grown at the same rate as the Checkerboards, blue diamond, or the rose.

3 weeks ago, I added in a blue Snakeskin and a red Leopard. The blue Snakeskin has taken over the tank and seems the most aggressive to the Golden, but seems fine with the others. The red Leopard is the most relaxed of all and very rarely has any aggression towards any others. I've never seen the red Leopard go after the golden or anyone else for that matter.

Before adding the blue snake, the golden was "fighting off" the 2 Checkerboards. He held his own and everything calmed down. Then I added the , and things went to again.

The little one hardly ever gets picked on at all. Thought since he's the smallest size, he would be the low man on the totem pole.. But nope. Hate to see my Golden getting picked on. Also like the way my tank is set up.. But if I have to add more hiding places.. So be it

Maintenance wise I do 50% every 3 days. At that point my ammon is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are at 20ppm. Almost like clockwork... Hardly ever any change in levels.
fb470193de2683f065365fca731de2fe.jpg
Really beautiful set-up and your discus are very nice- good job on them !
I think if you add a few more hiding spaces in the corners ( with plants, rocks, or driftwood, it may help some). But, I have the same problem with one of my discus, he is the one everybody harasses. But, they will usually chase him to his "sanctioned spot" and then back off. He doesn't get as much food as the others also, but he is still a beautiful fish and yours will be too.
If you wanted to you could remove the two smallest ones, but I do feel that they would probably not get along either, as the golden would probably chase the smaller one and you would be back to square one! You wouldn't want to put him alone in a tank, to grow bigger, because discus by themselves rarely do well.
You might get 1 more discus his size ( your 100 gallon should comfortably fit 9 discus ) so there are more small fish to alleviate the aggression on him. Or, try some dither fish, a school of rummy-nose tetras would be perfect- some times this has a soothing affect on cichlids and helps with aggression.

toy4x

R

Really beautiful set-up and your discus are very nice- good job on them !
I think if you add a few more hiding spaces in the corners ( with plants, rocks, or driftwood, it may help some). But, I have the same problem with one of my discus, he is the one everybody harasses. But, they will usually chase him to his "sanctioned spot" and then back off. He doesn't get as much food as the others also, but he is still a beautiful fish and yours will be too.
If you wanted to you could remove the two smallest ones, but I do feel that they would probably not get along either, as the golden would probably chase the smaller one and you would be back to square one! You wouldn't want to put him alone in a tank, to grow bigger, because discus by themselves rarely do well.
You might get 1 more discus his size ( your 100 gallon should comfortably fit 9 discus ) so there are more small fish to alleviate the aggression on him. Or, try some dither fish, a school of rummy-nose tetras would be perfect- some times this has a soothing affect on cichlids and helps with aggression.
I also have in this tank :
8 rummynose (had 11 but 3 didn't make the transfer) love their activity!
10 cardinals
10 neons
7 sterbaI corys
2 pleco( bn and rubber lip)
2 angels

Not sure if I can go 1 more discus with this stocking. I would like to get one white discus(for my dad), but want alleviate this problem first.

Filter wise I'm running:
Fluval fx6, 306, 106, green killing machine, 1 sponge filter.... Yes I'm very overkill on my filtration, but the reason why I think I can go 3-4 day WC's.

Discusluv, Thank you for continued advice. I will try a few more pieces of driftwood and plants to help "sunshine" out.

Discusluv

Oh! I didn't realize you had those others . Good luck and keep me posted!

Disc61

Hmmm, bullying will happen regardless.
first to give a name to the strain of the little guy, a better pic up close would help but it looks like a Blue Turq.
because it didn't eat, a little concern needs awarded to this. has he/she eaten since? if so, I would continue to monitor but let them work it out.
someone is always gonna bully, someone is always gonna get bullied. if you pull it out, someone else will become the target, its just there nature.
AND someone will undoubtedly become a runt so to speak for the good of the group. (just how it is)

what I might do at this point, if you have the space (tanks) and filtration. move them all out, move the décor around and re introduce them to their new home.
might help, might not.

if the one is still not eating and its been several days, I would probably pull it to a hospital setup for a Metro treatment.

and by the way, Beautiful setup.

toy4x

Hmmm, bullying will happen regardless.
first to give a name to the strain of the little guy, a better pic up close would help but it looks like a Blue Turq.
because it didn't eat, a little concern needs awarded to this. has he/she eaten since? if so, I would continue to monitor but let them work it out.
someone is always gonna bully, someone is always gonna get bullied. if you pull it out, someone else will become the target, its just there nature.
AND someone will undoubtedly become a runt so to speak for the good of the group. (just how it is)

what I might do at this point, if you have the space (tanks) and filtration. move them all out, move the décor around and re introduce them to their new home.
might help, might not.

if the one is still not eating and its been several days, I would probably pull it to a hospital setup for a Metro treatment.

and by the way, Beautiful setup.

Golden has had enough...He's fighting back... and he has briefly come out of hiding. I saw him eat a little bit today. I had to put most of the food on the opposite side of the tank drawing the others over and then feeding him. I overfed in his area to try and entice him to eat... then the others came over looking for more food and he finally fought back. He came out to greet me today as well...

Video taken this morning during feeding time:

And Golden today interacting with the others a little bit, then went back to hiding:

74262762608f2647ec3ae101d1eb826c.jpg

And little guy needing strain info:

65869626d052b17623cd708d83e5941a.jpg

Discusluv

Good for him, LOL!!

grantm91

Looks amazing just had to say lol.

toy4x

Good for him, LOL!!
It was a very encouraging sign! Still a lot of fight left in him so it made me feel good. Still feel bad that he went back to hiding later.

Disc61 I updated the previous post with a pic of the little guy for strain id.

Thanks for the help... Still have to get more hiding places. And also big thanks for the kind words of the setup.

Disc61

that's awesome. it is best to let them work it out. sounds like that is what's happening now. he will continue to push back now that he's started. nothing wrong with spot feeding to get him/her thru the process. this is nothing more than them building a Hiarchy. with the quality that appears in your tank, they will work it out and the bullying will calm down.
the little guy is no doubt a Blue Turquiose (non-pigeon based) should grow to be a beauty.

toy4x

Update..

The bullying has gotting worse... They bullied him into the corner behind a filter now. Still not eating pellets(although he never really did and it shows in his slower growth) he tries to eat blood worms, but when he comes out... They immediately bully him to the corner again... Actually just the Blue Snakeskin seems to have an issue with him.

What else can I do? I've turned off the lights.. Seems to have lowered the aggression.. A little bit.. Changed around the decor... I do not have another tank going right now.. So taking them out/ him out is not an answer.

KimberlyG

Thank you, I was just curious. That's certainly not the high end for temp.
Good luck with your guy. They certainly are beautiful.

Disc61

without another tank available there is not much you can do. they're gonna have to sort it out. BUT, if the golden stops eating altogether it is a sure sign of sickness with all the bullying going on. you will need a hospital tank if this gets worst than it already is. monitor daily (which I know you are) and maybe keep moving décor around.

KimberlyG

Is it still going on?

toy4x

without another tank available there is not much you can do. they're gonna have to sort it out. BUT, if the golden stops eating altogether it is a sure sign of sickness with all the bullying going on. you will need a hospital tank if this gets worst than it already is. monitor daily (which I know you are) and maybe keep moving décor around.
Is it still going on?
It is still going on but it seems to be less agrressive. I'll see him mingling with the others some times... then in the corner again other times. But before he was hiding behind the filters/plants. Now he's just there not really hiding anymore.

I have finally seen him eating. Both blood worms and tetra bits. He's never been a great eater like the rest, as it shows in his smaller size.

I increased the temp up to 85.5* to try and get them all to eat more and get bigger! Still doing water changes every 3 days.

Disc61

it sounds to me like just typical Discus Agression. I hI archy has to be established within the group. obviously the golden is not in charge and may become the runt so to speak. this is just their nature and will always go on. some groups are better at it than others. I have had groups that no matter what I did they still chased one all the time. other groups have been little to nothing in aggression. if you pull the golden out another will just take its place.
I wouldn't keep the temp that high for to much longer.

toy4x

Disc61

What is the reason to turn down the temp? And to what temp should I turn it down to? How long should I keep this temp?

And which freeze dried black worms should I use? Brand? Loose or cubed? I've never fed them this...only tetra bits and blood worms.

I've tried frozen beef heart and they didn't touch it... .. I literally had to scoop it all out of the tank... The sterbai's were liking it though... But it made a mess.

Disc61

Disc61

What is the reason to turn down the temp? And to what temp should I turn it down to? How long should I keep this temp?

And which freeze dried black worms should I use? Brand? Loose or cubed? I've never fed them this...only tetra bits and blood worms.

I've tried frozen beef heart and they didn't touch it... .. I literally had to scoop it all out of the tank... The sterbai's were liking it though... But it made a mess.

I always say juveniles should be at 84 degrees as this helps to encourage them to eat. sub adults can go to 83 and Adults can be at 82.
any higher is just not necessary and can actually hinder you in the long run. for instance, if you have a sick Discus that we might determine needs a metro treatment, I am gonna prescribe a higher temp (say 88) to go along with the metro treatment. if your Discus have been raised steadily on 86.5 than this treatment may not be near as effective as it can be otherwise. raising it to 86 to encourage a finicky Discus to eat is great, we just don't want to leave it there. 4-5 days should be plenty. jmo
I would encourage you to get Als FDBW's he imports them from Australia - it is literally Discus Crack. Lol
Blackworms
I always use loose as they just worked better for me. I soak them a bit, rinse them off and dump them in, they float in the water column nicely this way.
many people buy the cubes and you can stick them to the inside of the glass. I would venture to guess you will notice a big difference in your Discus eating habits. they will become pigs.
California blackworms has a good product as well, I have just never went with anyone but Al Sabetta

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Discus-Tang
Replies
Views
Disc61
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views