Help Discus Bully

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishystarters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi guys i woner if anyone can suggest a way to help me.
I have a lovely blue discus who i bought with a peppered yellow pidgeon blood. They got along fine when young but then the blue started picking on yellow. I tried moving stuff around and feeding at different times but it continued but not all the time so it was hard to see why. Then my yellow finally died last week. They had been together for almost a year. Tank mates are a small shoal of gold tetra, a zebra loach and 2 recently added plecos.
I went to my local fish shop who advised to try again, maybe the other discus was sick in some way but didnt show it. He was small though.
I have brought a new blue and he has been in the tank for a day. Again my other blue seems to be picking on him. I need to know if i should swap him as my fish supplier is willing to do this?

Size of tank is 2ft X 1ft X 1.5ft holds approx 60 ltr

Thank you for your help!
Tracey

fishystarters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, i was told they could stay in a tank this size until they got a bit bigger and then move to a larger tank. i do have a 125ltr tank but it has my other fish in and i dont think the discus will like being moved in there. i will look around for a larger home for them.
Is that why my blue is being a bully?
Thanks for your help x

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it definitely contributes to the problem, yes. A small tank like that can also stunt their growth.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When u get your new tank it still may be a smart idea to separate them just for a week or 2. by separate I mean a divider that they can still see each other threw just be shore that it wont start up agen. It would also be a good idea to get al least 7 discus this will help a lot just make shore your tank is big I have 7 in a 200L witch is I think on the border big and small so I do large water changes a lot hope this helps. Sorry 4 bad spelling gramer

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thats what like 53 gallons rite? thats a wired number, I have a 55 allon and plan on maxing out at 6 even though they are only about 2 - 2.5 inches atthe moment my wife will kill me if I try and up grade it going to be a while till I can get her to let me up grade and by a while I mean like a couple f years lol so I figured max it out now with 6 and be done with it with a few Rummy nose tetras a cory cat and a small pleco. I guess I can still have the other tank mates in there it says an adult discus per 10 gallons but it did not say if you could have a few smaller sized fish in there as well or not, I am hoping I can I don't see why not there all small fish the cory cats like what an inch and a half my pleco is maxed out at maybe 3 inches and Rummy nose tetras are not that big I would like to get oh about a half a dozen or so I think it would look nice and also act as dither fish and as water indicaters as they are sensitive to water conditonas well and an early warning system with them from what I hear is there bright read caps will dull and fade in less than perfect water conditons, let me know if this is an ok and sutible do able plan?

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yea thats a good idea iv been meaning to get ssome rummy nose tetras but just dont got the coin. i think it would be better to get all ya discus first tho.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep I will certainly be getting all my discus first I am getting two more tonight I am so excited I am 33 yrs old and feel like a little kid rite now I can not wait to get off of work go home grab my 3 yr old my wife and head out!

fishystarters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the advice guys, im considering moving my discus into my other tank which is 125ltr. the problem i have is i have 3 molly and 3 swordtails to move out and wonder if they could go in the 60ltr? I have a shoal of small gold tetra, a zebra loach, small pleco, and another small loach in there.

Also they are getting on better now, hope thats a good sign.

Last edited:

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a cobalt by him self and added a blue dimand about a week latter the cobalt was fine with the bd excpet at feeding time I had a hard time making sure my bd ate as well, but after about 4 days the bd and the cobalt get along great and at eating time theres no issue now. Then on Friday yesterday I bought a Flachen(sp) discus to go along withthe collection and now the bd the cobalt and the Flachen all swim together happy as can be untill feeding now the bd runs the Flachen off lol, not as bad thogh as the cobalt did witht he bd at first. Oh and the Flachen is slighty bigger than the other two its funny to see a smaller one push a larger one around. But the Flachen does get to eat just fine so I amnot worried I think it will setel dwon in a few days/ This is the problem with not getting them all at once but I am getting there 3 more in fact and I am done and I am going to try and get one inthe middle of this comming week as my guy is giving me a deal on the last few because I ahve made good on my promise to buy weekly and get all of my discus from him and why wouldnt I besides him there is only one LFS that sells them and this guy only sells buy word of mouth and all but gives you a back round check before he will sell to ou any way so I know he cares about his fish and who he sells too. So I still think that may be to many fish in that one tank but honestly I d rather crowd the smaller tank with your mollys and such and but your discus in the larger tank for sure because well the discus really need the space they get bigger than your other fish you have and they are more expensive fish. Also I hate to say it but I think the discus are a very special fish and deserve special treatment if you know what I mean?

But 125L is still only 30 gallon tank which should be ok with two of them you could possibly go with three and depending on the size you could have like 4 or 5 if they are samll and grow them out in a BB then move them to a 55 gallon I havemy 3 in a BB 55 gallon now and they are about 2 - 2.5 maybe pushing 3 inches but I am not sure exactly and they are already in their permenant home I could have like 10 in there at the size they are now but I would have tobe thinking about buying a 100 gallon tank some time in the very near future and I tink my wife would kill me lol.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just an idea though if you do empty that 30 gallon for your discus I would give it a reall through cleaning like two or three vacumings maybe even a 100% water change re fill with good tap water treated of course and get your make sure the heater you have in there now is able to get the temp uptoo about 85-86 degrees f and test the water for its parameters. Do you know what that is by the way like PH and general hardness and amonia and nitrates and everything else? should be no amonia or nitrates after the huge water change I would recomend doing but you need to know these other things as well. Above all else the key is stable clean water no drastic changes in the chemistry of the water and keep it clean and do water changes like three times a week I would say about half of the water in that 30 gallon 3x a week would be good/ you may have to buid your fish up to it though if their not use to that kind of water change and start off with a little less at first and gradually bumping up the amount and frequency. I do about 40% which is about 22 gallons 3 times a week in my 55 gallon tank and some times I will do more like 50% usually on a saturday after a nice serving of Blood worms Yummy!

But I am fairly new to this as well so you may want to wait and see what Slug or Nutter has to say there both pretty experinced and they got a lot of exp with discus also Harpua is another good one to listen to I trust those three for sure as a good souce on here and all three know there stuff and cruise around the forums alot and they seem to genuily like to help us Noobs out for some reason their probally saying to them selves butter help these dumb Noobs out before they kill their fish and we can't have that, lol you know thats what it comes down to this is all about the fish and whats good for them and thats why these places exsist they care they really do they have nothing personally to gain other than the satisfaction of helping out another person thats it. They do not get paid to do this their not a sponsor for a product their not trying to sell you anything just trying to give good sound advice based on their many years of experince keeping fish and in particualr here on this particual secton of the forum the King of allthe fishes the Discus fish!
Thank you guys and thank you FishLore you all have been helpful and I contribute at least in part my early sucess witht hese fish to you and your good sound advice!! I did a lot of readingon these forums before I became an actual memeber and I read a ot of books and talked to a lot of people and I kept fresh water fish for a couple of years going on three now before I even considered trying to keep these fish so I was already kind of prepared and knew what I was going to need to do. But yeah these guys/girls will all but all your hand if need be to make sure you have the knowledge needed to keep these fish healthy and thriving I drwa off of their exp evry day I am on ere and I ask a ton of questions as well Thats my two cents thanks getting off my soap box now and getting ready to collect my browny points lol!

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh and my fish are really pretty and I love my new additon my Flachen (sp) discus he/she is a really retty fish I cant wait to see what these guys look like full grwon or even half way full grwon I heard their colors just keep geting beter with age cant wait.

fishystarters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok thanks guys for the advice. I have seen a 2nd hand tank that im interested in and after moving my room around i can put it in. its 1000mm X 400mm X 450mm so is a bit bigger than my 125ltr.
This would be easier than moving them to the 125ltr so im hoping to win the bid on e bay. I give my discus RO water with minerals added by my LFS and the temp is 26.4c

fishystarters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I won the tank so am going to move my fish in once it is ready!

Last edited:

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good for you but do you know the size of your tank in inches or better yet letters or even better still gallons? I know there is a copnversion chart at the bottom of the screen but I do not think it will do dimension conversions for mm to inches.

RO water is good I do not use it the systems are way expensive and my local tap water is fine I just tested my water yesterday and all my values have been the same now for weeks even with water changes. The only thing I have to add is conditioner/

You know 26.4c is only 79f and the discus really should be at least at 84f to do well in 80-82 is like a bare minimum, I keep mine at 85 - 86f which is more ideal so you need to raise your temp a good 6 to 7 degrees f. I had to buy a more powerful heater to get to that temp so you may want to do the same I use a 200 watt heater for my 55 gallon and I have it at an angle in about the center of the tank with an air stone underneth it so theres good water flow around it other wise it may get to warm in one area and not warm enough in the other area I check my temp all the time from several diferent spots in the tank just to make sure theres an even spread. Beter option for me would be to have two heaters one on each side of the tank but this is ok fo now I may consider the purchase of a second heater in the near future but you will either have to turn your up or buy a new one altogether. FYI when you do turn yours up do it slowly over the course of a few days so its not a big shock to your discus don't raise it all at one shot just raise it by a degree or two wait like 24hr than raise it another 1 or two degrees do this untill you get you tank temp up to the 84-86f range your discus will be better off fo it. I am suprised they like it that low in the first placve thats dangerously close. You may even notice there activity increase witht he temp increase, make sure you have good airation as well because the warmer the temp the less oxygen there will be in the water I am not sure why that is but thats the way it is I have a large air stone producing a lot of fine bubbles plus I use a spray bar for my canister filter. These are just sugestions and I am no expert but the other guys/girls in here are so they can either confirm what I am saying or have a diferent opinon altogether its all based off of one own personal experince. I hope this helps

fishystarters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks fish monster i will turn up the temp gradually. It is 180 litres so quite a bit bigger.
The only problem i have is the lighting is not working so will have to buy a new section.
Its a juwel fish tank so am looking at around £70 for the part.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thats about 50 gallon much better, you should be able to have about 5 in there depending on how many tank mates you plan on keepin with the discus. The lighting is really for our own benefit to see the fish that is unless you have live plants then you would need a full spectrum bulb, if not than its really up to you on how much and what type of lighting you wish to use. Yep just gradually increase the temp until you get around 85-86f or 29.44c - 30c over the course of a few days especially if your only at 79f its going to take you alittle while to get up there and you do not want to shock you fish, good job on getting the larger tank enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom