Discus Breeding

Jacceber123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently added some new discus into my tank, within 24 hours the new guy paired with my pigeon blood. They have laid 4 batches of eggs since Jan31st last night being the most recent batch. Moving them to their honey moon tank as soon as it’s cycled. Any tips or tricks on breeding discus or comments on my discus?
IMG_7205.jpg
IMG_7212.JPG

Attachments

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You're gonna have a lot of work ahead of you. Do you have baby brine shrimp hatchery setup so you can feed the fry once they're done using their parents slime coat?

OP
J

Jacceber123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
You're gonna have a lot of work ahead of you. Do you have baby brine shrimp hatchery setup so you can feed the fry once they're done using their parents slime coat?
So I’ve heard. I’m not really aggressively trying to breed them it kind of just happened so we got them a honeymoon tank set up and we’ll just see how it goes. I don’t have a bribe shrimp hatchery I just intended to use to baby brine shrimp that you can buy at the store.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice, how big is said "honeymoon tank"?
The stuff from the store will be, ok, but they lose a lot of the already little amount of nutrients by the time they get to freezing size. That's why a hatchery is pretty important, but you should get by
Have you read much about them, or should I just dump a ton of info for you? What do you already know?

OP
J

Jacceber123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
Nice, how big is said "honeymoon tank"?
The stuff from the store will be, ok, but they lose a lot of the already little amount of nutrients by the time they get to freezing size. That's why a hatchery is pretty important, but you should get by
Have you read much about them, or should I just dump a ton of info for you? What do you already know?
We got a 35 gallon cube tank as we didn’t intend on it being a huge thing. So we will move the parents over once cycled they will spawn again. (We have a breeding cone coming on Friday) when the eggs become wrigglers we will probably lower the water level so there’s not as much room so the babies can find their parents then fill it back up once they’re big enough and they can grow out a bit in there. As for what I know not a ton. So far they have laid 4 batches. They always end up eating them before they become wigglers. Basically what I know is they go from eggs to wigglers then free swimmers that eat the slime coat then they kind of leave mom and dad and eat baby brine shrimp. That’s about it.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So, first off, you're going to be doing a lot, and I seriously mean a lot of water changes. At least 30% every day, preferably 45-50% or larger. That'll be for a while too, since you should continue that until they're ~3" (about 6-7 months)
You should also have a spare tank for all the fry, or in case the parents breed before the first batch is grown out.
Oh also, you'll have a really interesting color mix if the fry make it, I'm curious to see them

OP
J

Jacceber123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
So, first off, you're going to be doing a lot, and I seriously mean a lot of water changes. At least 30% every day, preferably 45-50% or larger. That'll be for a while too, since you should continue that until they're ~3" (about 6-7 months)
You should also have a spare tank for all the fry, or in case the parents breed before the first batch is grown out.
Oh also, you'll have a really interesting color mix if the fry make it, I'm curious to see them
We usually do about 30-50% every day or two as it is on the community discus tank. Oh okay That’s a good idea thanks I have a 60 I’m trying to sell maybe I will get another tank similar size to the honeymoon tank for all of the fry. I’m honestly not even sure what kind the new guy is. I was told he is a “German orange leopard” I don’t even know it’s that’s a thing. Our first discus is a pigeon blood I’m hoping they turn out somewhat nice

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm not 100% on those types...That pigeon blood looks like it has something else mixed in it too, the orange one....no clue
They'll look nice, worst case scenario they have a lot of peppering, but then there are people like me that think it's kinda cute and adds more character and personality

OP
J

Jacceber123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
I'm not 100% on those types...That pigeon blood looks like it has something else mixed in it too, the orange one....no clue
They'll look nice, worst case scenario they have a lot of peppering, but then there are people like me that think it's kinda cute and adds more character and personality
I would have to agree with you about the peppering. My pigeon blood doesn’t have too much peppering a few speckles on her facial area. But the orange guy has quite a lot on his nose area but I just think it looks like freckles or a moustache and makes him unique.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The orange one in my profile pic is the same way! His peppering gives him a mustache and I love it

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great looking discus.perfect heads and bodies. Wow you just started. Welcome to fishlore. You’ve got a great eye for discus.

Breeding is a whole different thing. Could be fun could be upsetting. You will need the honeymoon tank and than a few 20s to grow out the babies. Think 20 a tank when they get about an inch. Keep the 60 you’ll need it as they get bigger.

It’s a big thing to breed discus. Actually to breed any fish. Once you’ve succeeded now you have to get rid of the new discus. Need a place that will buy them from you. All according to where you live how fast you can get rid of them. Last year I raised some emerald green Cory’s. About 20 lived to maturity. 8 I have in my tanks and the rest I gave away locally. Didn’t do it for money just did it to see if I could. Offered to give them away here and had no takers. Lps didn’t want them they had there own. It’s npt that easy to get rid of them. I won’t be trying that again.
Good luck with them. If you do breed them you should get some great looking offspring.

New Threads