Discus Bent Tail/spine Help

Patrick Vang

HI I recently order these Solid Red Discus from Chicagodiscus and I've noticed that one of the 2 discus tail/back spine was bent. Anyone know if the Discus can recover? Any suggestions what to do?
2e51vyb.jpg

junebug

I don't see a bent spine... I see a swim bladder protruding from the penduncle area. As long as they are swimming okay and eating I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep the water clean.

Patrick Vang

Okay thanks, is this common? I mean one side is dented inward and the other side is sticking outward.

junebug

Well that is odd, isn't it?

We have a few members that keep Discus that might be able to comment.

Discusluv may have some ideas.

RSababady

I keep discuss. I have never seen the spinal chord bent like this towards the tail. It doesn't look natural as fish are usually (with a few exceptions) symmetrical in their shape.

Patrick Vang

Yea agree. This is my first time ordering fish online. Any idea what to do next...?

RSababady

Yea agree. This is my first time ordering fish online. Any idea what to do next...?
I really cannot help you on this. You can either find a small fish vet or just hope for the best.

I stopped purchasing fish online a while back. Now I prefer to take a magnifying glass and spend an hour at my local fish shop choosing a specific specimen. However I always have the feeling that they guy has caught the wrong fish once he starts chasing them around the tank with a net, so I have another look in the container once the guy in the fish shop catches my fish. Yes I do drive them crazy , but I have peace of mind.

My advice is never to order fish online unless you have 100% trust in the seller. You never know what they are selling and what state the fish arrive in

Discusluv

Contact Josie, the owner, tell her of your concerns. She is a highly respected vendor and recommended on Simply Discus forum, and I am sure will address any concerns you have.
I don't see a bent spine. But I do see a raised area.

junebug

I didn't realize they were shipped to you. Is it possible they were just injured? How big are they?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
H Farnsworth
  • Question
Replies
Views
TacoLoco7
Replies
Views
86 ssinit